Some nice memories of Michael by a man who worked with him. | FerrariChat

Some nice memories of Michael by a man who worked with him.

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Mar 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Hope you enjoy this.

635CSI, Isobel, stavura and 7 others like this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Beautiful......get well soon Micheal

3. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Great tribute!
    Godspeed Michael!

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for sharing!

Sunracer likes this.
  5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I am pretty sure that we will never see him again....:(

6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I am sad to agree with you.....maybe for the best though......we can each keep our favorite moments & images intact. We all go sometime; Michael gave us all spectacular moments/minutes/hours of memories.
    I no longer remember the exact race or year; I just have a memory of Michael driving around/past the entire field, seemingly effortlessly, in the pouring rain and looming darkness.....there was simply no one else on his level that day......
    I has a sad now.....

SimCity3 likes this.
  7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    ^^2001 Malaysian GP?

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    In 2002 I was doing a photo shoot for one of his sponsors at Fiorano-Track. After the shooting Schumacher invited the photo team for dinner in a nearby restaurant. Reservation was made for 8:00pm. He asked to pck him up from the circuit.
    We went to our hotel. At 7:45pm we drove into Fiorano to the small pit"lane". It was already dark outside and there I saw Schumacher sitting (!) on the floor in the pit, discussing some details on the car with his mechanics and also working with them.

The mechanics would have died for him...

Isobel, 375+, SimCity3 and 2 others like this.
  9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    SKUSA Supernationals has become a major karting event in the US. Very cool of Michael to show up and race with the boys.

10. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Michael Schumacher, Buddy Rice, Dan Wheldon, Sebastien Buemi and Nelson Piquet, Jr. I also recall a very young Max Verstappen doing very well there that weekend.

11. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Thank you for sharing - I still get so emotional when I see these pictures and hear these stories.

Schumi was an absolute hero to me from the moment he signed with the Scuderia, through his battles for the WDC, the successful years, his retirement and his comeback. I loved him as though we were brothers.
    I remember Spa 98 like it was yesterday. When he hit Coultard in the spray; I couldn't sleep for two nights playing that image over and over in my mind wishing it was different and that he had seen Coultard a split second earlier.

I watched every race religiously. I always believed he would be jinxed if I didn't watch. Until I was on a weekend away with a few friends and our wives. We were driving home on the Sunday afternoon and I couldn't watch the race live. I got home and couldn't believe it - he had crashed at Silverstone ('99) and broken his leg. We would have to wait another year to be able to contend for the WDC. I was gutted.

I think about Schumi a lot. I hope that he and his family are ok. It is so sad.

Over the past years, and especially since his retirement and his accident, I have been fortunate to collect many, many Schumacher related artifacts. Most of them signed items. Nothing earth-shatteringly expensive like helmets or race suits, but I have many items which I hold very dear to my heart and which I feel bring me a little closer to him when I take them out and look at them.

Grazie Michael.

absostone likes this.
  12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Well by chance I was there to see history first hand. Really a complete coincidence. When the 2000 season started in F1, I started the Ferrari Challenge and as such we were the startup race for both the Canadian Formula 1 and the US Formula 1 at Indy. Of course we all watched his win at Canada from our Challenge Hospitality area but didn't get to meet him. We saw the Ferrari F1 team set up all weekend, we saw the cars, we even got to hangout at the Ferrari hot pit row computers (pictures somewhere) but we missed seeing Michael.

So in Indy I got Paddock Club passes and finally had a chance to meet him and the team - as they made several guest appearances. Q &A. Autographs and so on. BUT the real highlight of 2000 was going to Mugello for the Ferrari Challenge World Finals were of course Ferrari celebrated Michael Schumacher's drivers Championship. There were demonstration laps by Schumacher and then the private meeting we Challenge drivers had with Schumacher. What an experience and memory. He was my favorite.

absostone and davebuchner like this.
  13. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Wonderful film, thank you for posting.
    Brings on such mixed emotions...

14. GOODYES

GOODYES Karting

Oct 7, 2017
    Barcelona, Spain (España)
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    one of the all times great, during end 90s and new milenium. Good Luck to El Kaiser.