Accessing rear a/c cooler on 400i | FerrariChat

Accessing rear a/c cooler on 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rovexienus, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    A member of F400 Club detected a noise coming from the back on his 400i series 1 (chassis 36877) which is equipped with a factory installed additional a/c unit. This unit is a possible source for the noise and the owner would like to check that.

The cooler is located behind the rear seats, the workshop manual is not clear on how to access that part.

Any return of experience on how to access this cooler would be welcome.

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Nothing fancy, the AC is under the rear deck. You access it from the trunk side, you just have to remove the carpet that is moulded differently than on the single AC cars. The carpet is glued in place, but more often than not the glue does not stick to the sidewall so it's quite easy to remove and unveil the AC blower.

Note that The AC unit is just above the rear axle (the recess that is under the AC accommodates for the axle). So chances are that the noise could come from the axle, and finds its way into the cockpit through the AC vents (?). Just my 2 cents. I would also check for the sheets of metal that are holding some of the other carpets, the screws could come loose. More specifically I would have a look at the 2 small vertical pieces that are hiding the trunk hinges.

3. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    I was able to access the rear evap on my 78 carb model by removing a carpeted panel (once the two side pieces are removed) that covers the whole under deck area, admittedly the screws are very hard to find due to them being buried in the black carpet. I was only getting in there to replace the filter fuel hose.

DJ

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    On my '84 400i (Series 2), there are 5 or 6 screws holding that trunk panel in place. There is about a 4" gap between that panel and the rear seat panel that is only occupied by the rear evaporator in the upper center. A friend of mine that does LONG trips in his 400i, uses this space to store spare parts (belts, pads, etc)!
    Ken

5. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Thanks for your replies!

6. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Here is the panel you are looking to remove, and yes, the small black screws are buried in the carpet....look closely and you can see the holes at the bottom edge. Be careful to not break the fiberglass.

Gary

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    #7 rovexienus, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020