Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations? | Page 50 | FerrariChat

Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Apr 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Walmart grill working great. Yesterday did green peppers, shrooms, corn (at the end brushed with melted butter spiced with cumin, salt, garlic and onion powder), orange chicken, chili-rubbed pork chops and queso brats.
    Thing was still holding at ~200F 2 hours afterwards, and with the gasket is fairly tight so will be trying some smoked ribs soon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    peterp likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Is all that grub for your little man? That's a Texas sized appetite! :)
    T

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This grill looks pretty awesome. Do you know how it compares to a Weber Kettle? I have one of the Weber 22" charcoal grill that is about 5 times the price, and I think I like everything about the Expert Grill better. Specifically the rectangular shape and the cast iron grate (circular sucks IMO and the Weber grate is like a a very short-term placeholder for rust).

You've got skills. I do Korean pork belly a bit longer (we like it crispy, more on the bacony side), but on the open grill "a friend" told me the whole thing can turn into an inferno from grease droppings as you are trying to eek out that last bit of crispiness. In an unrelated story, I've heard it takes a while for eyebrows to grow back. :)

5. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #1230 Nurburgringer, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    ha we had my folks over plus the MIL. Still some good leftovers.
    Little Buckeroo did put away an impressive about of meat, corn and beans though. Wish I had his energy and metabolism!

6. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Last Weber I owned was their smallest one (Smoky Joe I think it's called) about 15 yrs ago and think the main difference is the "focusing" of the heat Weber claims due to the bowl-like shape, and like you say the round vs rectangular.
    Yeah I really like the features of this one too, and the construction seems perfectly fine.
    Grates are pretty heavy, all I do is give them a shot of Weber Grill spray before putting on food, then a wire-brushing while they're still warm.
    Keeping it covered up should help it last many years.

ha yes you do have to flip and move pork belly often for that very reason!
    I'll have to try pushing my luck next time getting it crispier. Sounds like it's worth the risk :)

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Not according to "my friend's" wife ... :)

Nurburgringer likes this.
  8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
  9. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    heh got mine at HD :) Good stuff, also have used Pam for Grilling which has a high smoke point as well.

peterp likes this.
  10. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My latest grill. Still on the break in period.

Attached Files:

Nurburgringer likes this.
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Weber Genesis with side burner? Very nice...T

12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Those freezers are great. We put one in after we did our renovation. They're great for when your favorite store has a super deal on brisket, steaks, etc.
    T

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Best ribs I've had in my life were done on a wood pellet grill and smoker. I believe it was from Costco and the Pit Boss brand. Took 6 hours to smoke those ribs, but they were 100% perfect.

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My Aunt and Uncle asked if I wanted it, figured I may as well get one. May not use it immediately but I think it's worth having. It'll come in handy especially preparing for any hurricanes.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't plan on traveling to Austin just to try Franklin bbq although my friends have said great things about it.

Has anyone smoked brisket and other meats using his video tutorials on his YouTube channel? He seems pretty open about how he does stuff, but maybe he's holding back some secret spices or something like Hattie B's did for their hot chicken spice in a few of their videos they've made (in 1 of them they list all the spices and said a few they won't name).

https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQwithFranklin/videos

Brisket videos are titled "The Brisket," The Cook," and last one "The Payoff." They're 6+ year old videos so hopefully someone here has tried doing it exactly like he did.

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have been thinking about a new smoker/grill lately. I have made due with a Weber kettle and I get good results with a 2 stage fire but it take a lot of tending and attention. I am now thinking about something proper like a Lone Star Grillz offset smoker. Or maybe the Lang. Any opinions?

Just to keep it interesting, here is a picture of some pastrami I made last week. OK, it actually takes almost 2 weeks to make pastrami by the time you cure the brisket. I also made the sauerkraut (just in the back edge of the pic) and some Russian dressing to make a Reuben.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That looks so so good! Oh well, it's only 22 more minutes to 5 o'clock (here) and that really perked my appetite.

Skidkid likes this.
  19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thanks. I was VERY happy with the outcome. 7 hours in the smoker to get internal temp of 205. The dark crust is pepper and other spices.

vincent355 and energy88 like this.
  20. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

I would put the stump's gravity feed smokers on your list. Add a BBQ guru and they are stable as an oven. Depending on outside temps and what temp I'm cooking at I can run for ten hours without touching anything.

21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I am pretty happy with my Rec Tec pellet smoker. WiFi controlled from anywhere, dual temp probes for meats and good looking!
    Fairly new to me so still learning but pork ribs were great! Cheers! Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Are you looking for a stick burner? Lang is famous for them...but even more work than a Weber tending those offset fires. But if that is what you want they are a good smoker. Personally, staying up all night is not my thing anymore.

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, I was considering a stick burner but would consider charcoal sometimes. I have decided that I am not a fan of pellet smokers because they often make too much smoke taste but maybe that is short sighted. For the most part, I don't cook over 7-8 hours so I can pull it off in a single day. The Weber I use charcoal and add wood occasionally; I have to tend it every 45-60 min or the fire burns down too much. You can't use a lot of fuel because as a small kettle they overheat very easily.

24. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Ok. If you don’t like too much smoke a stick burner is not what you want. Funny, too much smoke is how I chose and why I chose. I like a little, maybe one chunk at the beginning of the cook. I have done quite a few Weber cooks, have you tried the minion method?

25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I haven't tried minion method but I see a lot of issues with it. The direct heat so close under your meat isn't optimal. There will eventually be way too many coals burning (as the ring expands) and you won't be able to control the heat. I find that you add about 5-6 coals every 30-60 min after the first batch burns down for an hour or so. Any more than that and you jump way over 225.

Beauty of a stick burner is you can run the firebox much hotter so you get a very clear burn but still maintain reasonable cooking temps. You can also use charcoal in most of them if you are inclined. Having said that, you have swayed me toward researching the gravity fed more, they look promising. I would then consider replacing my Weber with a drum, easier to do direct or indirect because it is longer. That should give me a good mix of options without having a HUGE footprint.