812 VS Rumors | Page 53 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    What's there to be happy about? Can barely hear the engine over the tires.

PTG1, Caeruleus11 and ppg70 like this.
  2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I agree, it sounds nothing like an 812 SF... a lot more muted and muffled

350MH83, PTG1, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  3. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    The video was recorded onNovember 2019

4. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have an 812, you guys have better ears then me! I don't spend a lot of time listening to 812s drive by :rolleyes: Not sure what the whistling was..

5. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    It doesnt sound as good as a regular 812 much more muted, i agree the whistle sound is similar to the 488 Pista, downshifts however do sound aggressive

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX

that video is from last year and it is included in the link above (see @ 40 second mark)

the last part of the video you posted is particularly disappointing to me, goes silent, not looking for that in an 812VS, but, EU rules require it and it will be getting far worse, soon:

7. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    ^^ amazing video describing the filter .. :(

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    compare to the standard 812 testing
    watch

Sorry, not sure how to have the video easily accessible. I think the VS version sounds good from similar filming location as this video.

9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    hit 'Share', then 'Copy', then 'Paste' here, then 'Post Reply', and it pops up like magic. ;)

Lagunae92 likes this.
  10. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    Is the successor of 812 the middle rear ?

11. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    What was that? Sounds like a turbo V12? There’s another video of a white GTO mule running around Fiorano that’s an absolute screamer with a proper V12 sound.

Could they be testing a turbo V12 in an 812 mule? It sure sounds like there’s turbos spooling up. I thought they confirmed they were keeping the V12 NA just with electric assistance?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. ferrarifanatic25

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    This is just so depressing and pathetic. The 74db limit (which drops further starting this year) just defies all logic.

For example, let’s say you live in a country where the maximum speed limit on any road is 80 mph (or whatever the kph equivalent is). Just because that’s the maximum allowable speed by law, doesn’t mean that any car capable of exceeding that limit should be made illegal? By that logic, a Toyota Camry should be illegal. Sure a Ferrari can do 200 mph+, but that doesn’t mean you always drive it 200 mph. If you do, you’ll likely get arrested for reckless driving, you’ll go to jail and your car will be impounded.

How are these noise limits any different? If you can be a polite, reasonable citizen (and not rev your straight piped Aventador in front of Harrods Knightsbridge) and keep your car in quiet mode while in densely populated areas, why should it be illegal to open things up in the back country where your car’s sound won’t be bothering anything other than the local livestock? Why not just give tickets for being a d bag and making a bunch of noise in a residential area, just like you would get a ticket for doing 60 in a 35?

Seriously, the bumbling idiots who came up with this policy have no idea what they’re doing. This is some of the most draconian, freedom-denying BS policy I’ve ever been made aware of and I can’t believe they’re getting away with it. It has nothing to do with the environment. I’m not arguing against the GPF... just what is the purpose of the dB limit other than limiting personal freedom?? I’m just hoping that as Americans get dumber by the year, we won’t be so blind as to pass similar legislation that is in direct violation of our constitutional rights. Talk about “land of the (NOT) free.”

13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    It started here:
    Clean-Gasoline Proposals Fuel Environmentalists’ Ire
    https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/clean-gasoline-proposals-fuel-environmentalists-ire

GPF has no purpose either, you have to drive a pre-GPF 812SF 28,000 miles to emit 1 ounce (28.3495g)(per California testing, it only emits 1mg per mile and that's 1000 miles to be 1g and then there are about 28g in an ounce) of particulate matter, GPF decreases particulate output 10 fold, the GPF is really quite meaningless, absurd really.

As for noise limits (both the GPF and noise limits are EU only ideas) just further squashes fun

If this keeps up, Ferrari's marketshare in EU might substantially decrease, which could incentivize them to skip EU regulations in their production cars....I can only hope, apologies to EU residents...

14. ferrarifanatic25

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Not saying I agree with GPF either. I also think it’s a hyper-overactive measure being taken that will amount to an entirely immeasurable effect on the environment. However, I don’t know the technicalities like you do and fighting with tree-huggers is bad for my health so I tend avoid it altogether.

It would honestly be so hilarious if they would just skip the EU regulations altogether. Or maybe make EU specific exhausts and require EU journalist to dive them so they’re forced to realize how ridiculous the government they are subject to is being. Can you imagine how funny those videos would be comparing the 70 dB version to the real 105 dB version? That would be the greatest middle finger ever, but it will probably never happen. Instead, the rest of the world will pay the price due to a few knuckleheads on a power trip to get votes, implementing policy that has nothing to do with fact and everything to do with the progressive-leftist agenda that will one day rob citizens of their most basic rights. Hmmmmmmmm...... which current event is this relatable too??

Carry on.

of2worlds, PTG1, F12JAJ and 1 other person like this.
  15. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    I have an 812, put 10kmi in 8months on it, I have a GTS on order, and on that video, it does not sound any where close to 812 SF.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    The shame of it is that he talks about the next generation 90* V12 revving up to 10,000, perhaps 900 hp and weighs 100kg less....and sounds like ****.

17. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Hopefully, Ferrari has some technical trick up its sleeve to negate the GPF or allow an aftermarket solution. I feel the need to shop for a 599 GTO after watching (hearing) those vids. And hang onto our 2019 812SF.

18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Yes quite a few of us now looking BACK instead of FORWARD. Fortunately there do remain some excellent back choices, ala 599 GTO!

19. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I agree and I’m starting to wonder if Il order any more Ferrari’s after my gts comes in. Im not sure I care if cars have 1k plus hp if there is no sound. Selfishly I hope they decide to eventually make a change for non EU cars that solves the issue.

uhn2000 and Bundy like this.
  20. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Thankfully, I changed from rosso portofino to rosso mugello due to the 6+ month wait for the paint as my '20 does not have GPF! As they say everything happens for a reason.......

of2worlds, uhn2000 and JTSE30 like this.
  21. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Fully agree. My incoming GTS will be my last new F car. Post 2020 models are pretty much guaranteed to sound terrible (mix of GPF and turbos), plus Ferrari seem to be aggressively pushing up price points at the same time as flooding the market with too many models. I have zero interest in anything electric or hybrid.

Time to revisit the old skool: 355, TDF, 599 GTO, etc!

mofatmi9, Caeruleus11, j09333 and 9 others like this.
  22. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Pretty sure there will be plenty of aftermarket solutions from Novitec, iPE, Capristo etc soon after launch for anyone wanting a screamer.

Other than that, I wouldn't be too worried about a test mule we know little about, recorded with less than optimal camera quality.

LMH and Lagunae92 like this.
  23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    All excellent choices. I'm also considering 360 6spd and/or 360 CS.

Caeruleus11, khal360 and ewright like this.
  24. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    +1

Caeruleus11 and Spider68 like this.
  25. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Highly unlikely as any removal of GPF will require reprogramming of the car's computers and that will immediately void your drivetrain warranty (besides being completely illegal in EU), perhaps after the cars are out of factory warranty and owner does not care about such issues....but that will be years from now, if ever (yes, there are GPF delete options now for some low-end cars, each requires ECU reprogramming)

for instance:

https://www.onlyrevo.com/blog/all-new-gpf-stage-1-software-for-2-0t-ea888-gen-3-is38/

https://www.onlyrevo.com/blog/gpf-gasoline-particulate-filter-what-is-it-and-what-doesdo/

BJK, Bundy, F140C and 1 other person like this.