458 - 458 vs Huracan 580-2 | FerrariChat

458 458 vs Huracan 580-2

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ash Patel, Apr 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #1 Ash Patel, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    So have owned the Huracan RWD now for almost 2 weeks and must say I am very pleased so far except a few quirks.

The biggest issue was 3 days back when I got a error message on the dash saying engine control system failure - go to Lamborghini mechanic, then the engine stalled / lost power and I had to restart the engine. One upon restart the error was gone. When the tech pulled the OBD code it showed torque limit sensor warning maximum torque exceeded (or something like that) that one of 2 sensors had warned and then put the engine in limp mode. Funny thing this happend when I was driving slowly in traffic. Me mechanic thinks this is a glitch and deleted the error, but documented the whole thing off course as mine is still under factory warranty. I have been driving pretty hard after that as well bouncing off the rev limiter often as it's much easier to do this compared to the 458 for some reason.

Another smaller issue is that the black sports exhaust tips fitted from factory is mounted so far out from the bumper so the 2 of the parking sensors gives full varning for collision every time I put it in reverse. But I love the looks of them sticking out so I am considering leaving it as is and just live with the beeping in reverse :)

Another issue that happened today is that the windows control lived their own life, I could not get the drivers side window to close for a second or so and then when pulling the button to get them fully up automatically this did not work but I had to keep and hold / pulled the button until the window was fully up/closed.

So it seems not even a German branded Italian is immune from electronic glitches ;)

So now compared to the 458 the Huracan RWD:

1. More power, you can really feel the difference in punch especially after 100 km/h or so.
    2. More instant power on 1st gear when the ESC is fully disabled in Corsa mode hence easier to get it to slide around.
    3. More quiet inside the cabin overall and especially when you floor it, you can hear the engine in the 458 much clearer.
    4. Much faster shifts and the downshifts are more aggressive. More smooth shifts in Strada mode.
    5. I don't have the adjustable dampers in the Huracan and they are very hard, much harder than the 458s in it's hardest setting.
    6. Much much better stereo
    7. Much more refined interior and a lot less rattle and squeks, it seems a lot better put together.
    8. More solid feel and planted on the road, like a single piece carved out of a stone compared to the 458 which feels more wobbly. I have more confidence pushing this one and it feel a lot more stable at higher speeds.
    9. Feels much lower and you need to use the lift when driving around town over bumps, I never had to do this on the 458 ever and was not even near scraping anywhere. With the Huracan I've already scraped the front plastic part under the nose once or twice.
    10. Better cabin ergonomics except the blinkers which is the worst I've experienced in any car so far in any car
    11. The seats which (mine at least) is not adjustable in height and gives my back a pain if I am in the car for too long. I've tried some sort of support without any luck. The bucket seats in the 458 is far superior to the standard seats in the Huracan.
    12. The brakes is much much stronger and more direct, it is really another level compared to the 458 and for me was hard to get used to in the beginning.
    13. It draws a lot more attention which is not a surprise as my 458 is white and the Hura is yellow.
    14. Lamborghinis triple layer yellow is not anywhere near as nice as Ferraris triple layer yellow. I know as I had a 458 before with this color.
    15. The AC always works and blows really cold when I want it to and most importantly reacts fast. Something that can't be said about the climate control in the 458 which has it's own life.
    16. I will, according to the dealer never have to plug in a battery tender as the Huracan can stay parked and locked for over a month without any issues.
    17. You can disable the passenger airbag which is a big deal for me, which you can't in the 458 (EU-specified one)
    18. It is the most exotic looking entry level supercar IMO and my 458 feels a bit bland i comparison.

Here are some pics of my new Hura and also the lovely yellow 458 I had previous to my white one so you can see for yourselves what I mean when I say Ferraris yellow is much more nice than Lambos equivalent. Overall the Huracan feels like a generation newer car and next level compared to the 458 without loosing it soul because of that.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

IloveGT and blkfxstc like this.
  2. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Actually forgot 2 of the biggest pain about the Huracan compared to the 458. It's the way ESC behaves and how much more less adjustable it is in the Huracan:

19. In the 458 in CT off mode you get the hard shifts and the hardest settings of everything with the ESC not completely off hence you can slide around with the car but it will help you not spinn. Now in the Huracan this is not possible other than in Sport-mode and the you turn the ESC off. But Sport mode is not the hardest setting hence you get the shifts like in a Bentley. If you put it in the hardest setting Corsa and then turn off the ESC you are on your own.

20. The ESC system (when not disbaled) even in Corsa is very intrusive especially when pushing the car on track or even more on country roads when you don't get fully warmed up tires. Let me explain it in more detail - When you are in a turn / curve and mash the throttle, in the 458 the help systems would in some miracle way still make the car go pleasantly fast without you noticing than there is a power limiter kicking in, the difference between flooring it in a curve or in a straight line was not as big. Now in the Huracan this difference is HUGHE, when in a curve flooring it you can really feel how the power is restricted and in the beginning I was wondering what the hell is going on (as the ESC was not blinking on the screen). Now when I then floored in on a straight line instead, well then I could really feel how much more punch the car had compared the my 458.

It's also much easier to bounce off the rev limiter and the ESC kicks in big time, the car feels like a savage when this happens (in a good way)

3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    One thing I love about the 458 and never want to give up is that the car is always in TC Off. When I jump in the car to go somewhere, I don't have to remember to put the car in this mode and hit that button. It is in slidey mode by default (for me). Does the Huracan force you to reconfigure it every time you start the car?

4. Tempest_44

Tempest_44 Rookie

Aug 25, 2014
    I have been quietly following this forum for quite some time. As I am still not sure is it a Ferrari or Lamborghini. I definitely love that 458 or even the F430. But that damn Huracan seems like a new Beast. But the dream has always been a Ferrari.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thx Ash. great write up.

Put the performante exhaust on and enjoy.

Ash Patel likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I appreciate this write up because it seems genuine and objective. Glad you like the Hurcan. I think they are starting to get to a nice price point as well.

Ash Patel likes this.
  8. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Love the objectivity and straightness of this review, thank you! I have always loved that V10 just for some reason it never worked out. Maybe soon, I have a Urus and my kids love it but its nothing to write home about.

Ash Patel and Jo Sta7 like this.
  9. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Spot on concerning the Mannetino, and that you never have to worry about a damn start stop button to disable this feature

So that is another annoying thing, that every time I start the Lambo I have to put in in Corsa or Sport, if I don't and keep it in Strada (softest setting) then start stop is activated which annoys the hell out of me. It's even embarrassing when the engine stops and then does this loud start up once you get the green light, I mean it's not a subtle start stop as in a Honda Civic or something similar :)