What lights are these? | FerrariChat

What lights are these?

Discussion in '348/355' started by KMR968Turbo, Apr 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Look like Euro F355 head lights.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That website is insane. Even for the not so rare stuff, their prices are 5~20 times anywhere else in the world. U$5000 for an IAC valve?

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Makes me wonder if they accidentally added another zero on that yen. haha........drop a zero and it's right on as far as what I would think they go for.
    And yes, agree...RoW Hella lights for 348/355 Part numbers 146157 and 146158 as shown on the boxes there.

A MUCH better upgrade than putting LED bulbs in crappy US market housings. :) BTW, these lights can be easily switched between LHD and RHD beam patterns.

Bertil and Qavion like this.
  5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Are you saying that these will fit a 355?

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric

Brian I don't know man.... I spoke to Daniel Stern and he says the housings and lens have little to do with anything, its the bulbs. I sent him some posts to corroborate but his responses competently at odds with these posts regarding the euro buckets and lens. He sells the Euro housings and lens alright but essentially used strong language to persuade me out of buying them in favor of "9006/HB4 low beam bulbs with 9012 (HIR2) +120 bulbs made in Germany by Vosla" to stick in my US housings. And I tried to get the euro lens's twice.... He said fine but was pretty adamant about bulbs only unless your lens/housings are damaged or something and used some colorful language about these posts that I sent him.

8. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I haven't looked closely at my 355 lights to even see what they are as I rarely drive it at night. I will say that Daniel Stern has never steered me wrong and I think I have been buying from him since the 90's! He is passionate and knowledgeable about lighting.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hah...well, count me surprised honestly as he has been a major supplier of e-code headlights for years. Like emac, I've been referencing him and his site since the 90s when I fit everything I could with european lighting. Round 7" H1/H4s, quad 5.75" headlights. Heck, I bought a pair of Hella 7" rounds on my round headlight converted 84 GTI in like 1997.....and I still have that set today. They moved from my GTI to my Miata to my Range Rover to my Fiat X1/9 where they currently reside.

In 05, I even purchased European M5 Xenons for my 98 BMW 540i that came with Halogens. I dumped the US plastic lights that were in my Peugeot 405 Mi16 for glass European Valeo H4/H1 headlights. The difference with those was MASSIVE.

I've also heard many people complain about the headlights in the 348 and every one of them have US housings.....my car, being a European car, has the e-code headlights in it of course and I've always thought they were good.

So who knows. Maybe the projector lens of the US 348/355 headlight housing makes this ok and it's simply a bulb change. I'd love to closely inspect a US version to check out the differences. Certainly it's very possible that Daniel is correct--he is a long time expert in the field.

10. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The Volvo lorry headlamp looks to me identical to the Ferrari 348 ones (except for the "Ferrari" writing on the glass). I do not know about the 355 lights, are they same as 348? Here's another picture of the Volvo lorry headlight so you can compare a 355 light with it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yeah those Volvo lights? Yeah...same thing just with no Ferrari logo in the glass. We had a thread on that a couple years ago or so where people were posting them for a hundred bucks or so. I don't know if anyone has tested the install though....

12. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Physical fitment appears to be the same, just the lenses are different depending on the market.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348-1989-1992/lights-lifting-device-and-headlights.html

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

DOT

E1

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yeah lots of differences. I was going to take some close up pics of both units but directly from the front. I will say the little cut off section on the bottom looks to be higher on the E-code lights vs the DOT lights. So there are lens differences for sure on both sides of the light--dip and high.

16. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    There you go. Thanks Miroljub.

Ferrarium likes this.
  18. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  19. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Ital-Spares are selling (EURO) Volvo lorry headlights for Ferraris at, at least, twice the price you can otherwise find them. I recognised that it is actually a Volvo headlight by the small metal clip at the top, around the middle, which the genuine Ferrari headlights do not have.

Ital-Spares selling for Ferraris:

Volvo lorry FL6:

20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Great comparisons. So it appears to me that the Volvo lights are "brighter" overall by having the less diffusion aspects of the USA high beam together with the Euro main headlight.

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric