430 - Scam? Bob Durkin | FerrariChat

430 Scam? Bob Durkin

Discussion in '360/430' started by Vlad Yatsenko, Apr 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vlad Yatsenko

Vlad Yatsenko Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vlad Yatsenko
    Hi guys,

I had posted a need for some parts for my F430 last week. A member of F Chat recommended I reach out to Bob Durkin as he may have some parts for me. Bob got back to me advising he had a rear diffuser and engine/trans plastic bottom shield. He wouldn’t talk on the phone due to a hearing impairment. (Figures that’s fine, text and email worked fine) then he said he only takes wire as payment. I’m typically very careful with wires, but did it anyways due to having him referred through a fellow F Chatter. I wired him the money via wire domestically. (Would not have done it if it wasn’t) wire went out Thursday. I reached out Friday morning for a tracking number as our agreement was immediately shipping the parts. He told me the wire was pending, as soon as it is released, he’s on the way to UPS. This was Friday and he’s ghosted me since.

Couple things:

1) i am not sure if he’s burning me or not, but sure does feel that way
    2) anyone have experience with anything like this in terms of recalling the wire?
    3) be careful with this guy for future transactions

I will follow up with everyone with a final outcome.

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

Vlad

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Don’t buy anything from me— I wait for funds to clear and I never do anything on Fridays. :)
    but I’m with you on the ghosting— hate it.

3. brs5280

brs5280 Rookie

Feb 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    B RS
    Vlad,
    Sorry to hear of your experience. I have had to deal with all sorts of fraud attempts and many have sounded similar to what you are describing. Especially the "hearing impaired can't talk on the phone" part. It is a very common excuse for someone who is not in the States to stay hidden and is very hard to dispute. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to recall a wire transfer. Once it's gone the only option is to ask the recipient to return the money. Obvious problem there. Good luck, hopefully your guy is legit and just out of pocket.

4. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Was the recommender a well known f-chatter? What do they have to say about this?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Vlad Yatsenko likes this.
  5. Vlad Yatsenko

Vlad Yatsenko Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vlad Yatsenko
    Yes, as I think through the entire transaction, pieces are making more sense. Truthfully the recommendation from MikeBarley is what tipped the scale for me. (Nothing against him) however, I did reach out to him to confirm positive transactions from his experience and haven’t had a reply. This is the exact reason I never wire money, and the first time I did.. lesson learned. Filing an FBI complaint and have my bank involved to see if there’s anything that can be done. At the least, would love to save someone else on this forum from a similar experience.

6. Vlad Yatsenko

Vlad Yatsenko Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vlad Yatsenko
    So far, nothing.

7. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I think you’re approaching this the right way. Given the non responsiveness from both the recommended and seller, it appears this is a scam. Kudos to you for trying to help other members avoid the same fate. And good luck - hopefully my gut and yours is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Apollo 11 likes this.
  8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    You should have stopped and left when he said his only payment was wire transfer.
    I hope things work out.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Wait......so a guy with 1 post who joined 6 weeks ago is who you trusted?

10. Vlad Yatsenko

Vlad Yatsenko Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vlad Yatsenko
    Correct. It was a perfect scenario for this guy. I never in a million years would have thought I’d do exactly what I did.

11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Where are you located and where is this guy at? Maybe an Fchatter can help retrieve the funds. I know a chat member here located in UK helped in getting funds back for a fellow member.

12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
  13. Vlad Yatsenko

Vlad Yatsenko Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vlad Yatsenko
    I’m in Green Bay, WI. The guy claims to be out of Houston, TX. His phone number comes back as Houston as well. (Not that that is hard to do through google voice or something similar) Funds were wired to Bank of America within the states.

My bank has sent a retrieval request but that would only happen if seller approves, which he won’t. I’m all ears if there’s any solution out there! The principle of someone doing that is what bothers me most.

Thanks for your time and efforts!

14. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    both sites Rennlist & Ferrarichat are owned by Internet brands, I have been on both as an owner for 20 years its shocking, but they dont care

15. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #15 RichardCH, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    as Internet Brands, believe that the the advertisers are their clients, not the forum users, BUT no scammed forum users = no advertisers = website death spiral !

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Sorry to hear of that, Vlad. Too late now, but anyone can join a forum with the intention of scamming or time wasting.

Richard is right, on the internet, users are the product being sold to the client, the sponsors and advertisers. One item of product goes wrong, there are plenty more to take its place.

We like to think of ourselves as making content (as in, user generated content) but all our words are just a medium for delivering us to the sponsors.

That's the digital media business model. It's all about numbers, so each one of us isn't worth bothering with.

17. Vlad Yatsenko

Vlad Yatsenko Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vlad Yatsenko
    I honestly am not looking for anyone to act on it, and really my point is to make others aware. Like mentioned previously, I want to ensure that I help prevent it happening to others.

Way2fast, SRLC716 and Flea7 like this.
  18. hen

hen Rookie

Sep 28, 2015
    Hong Kong
    sorry to hear that, would be safer with paypal I guess. I purchased something also referred by a F-chat member and everything went through paypal. ended up the diffuser i ordered didn't fit and had to get a full refund. paypal made things easier.

19. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    the difference here though is the Rennlist accounts are being hacked, so you believe you are dealing with a long standing trusted member, who is being misrepresented by the hacker, even worse the long standing trusted member doesnt even know his account has been hacked

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Just remember when using PayPal, do not pay as "friends and family gift"...those transactions are not protected by PayPal policies.

LARRYH and Shark01 like this.
  21. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Sorry to hear your troubles Vlad. I've had many Great experiences purchasing from members. I do check how many posts they have and how long they have been a member. Those two things paint a very good picture.

I got scammed wiring money ($4500.00) but I knew I was gambling, Eyes wide open. I even discussed it with my banker that I'm more than likely never to see anything. I didn't, lesson learned. At least for the moment LOL :confused::eek:o_O:)

BTW, I live outside of Milwaukee. Maybe we met maybe not but just maybe I'll run into you someday.

22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    just don't trust Internet Brands the forum owners to stop hackers, or more importantly even warn you, its been hidden, this has been happening on Rennlist for at least 6 months, thks guys ...