White powder from exhaust silencer-GONE! | FerrariChat

White powder from exhaust silencer-GONE!

Discussion in '360/430' started by bobp, Nov 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobp

bobp Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #1 bobp, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The leaking white powder from the exhaust pipes/silencer junction was driving me crazy and I had tried several ways to seal this spot- clamps and metal wrap, exhaust wrap that I use on my motorcycles, high temp silicon adhesive- everything leaked or vibrated off-there is a hell of alot of vibration from the exhaust system-
    Several of you guys(Danny Roberts,SMosier) assured me taking the silencer off is easy and I can just have a bead welded around the junction- well
    TAKING THE SILENCER OFF IS INCREDIBLY EASY!! thanks for the encouragement.
    10 minutes to pop off-1 hr to have muffler shop weld a bead, they also welded the 2 lateral seams as white powder was leaking there too they showed me- 10 minutes to put back on.
    Got 2 new metal gaskets and sprang for some shiney new bolts from Ricambi, so for $100.00 total its a done deal after I have spent hours trying the wrong approach.
    Thanks to everybody in the F -chat community
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    Bob,

Glad you solved the problem. Who did the welding? I hate to say it, but, they were not very talented welders.

I had mine done as well. It cost quite a bit more, but, the results, in my opinion,
    were better. Did you have any trouble getting the muffler off? I found the nuts securing the muffler were pretty tight. I think they are brass.

3. bobp

bobp Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bob
    John
    When I first saw the bead i was totally unimpressed but I sat back and thought- well a used silencer will run me $500-600- and will eventually leak also- so for all parts and labor $100< I can live with it.
    It was done by a local muffler shop, I would not have him do my open heart surgery!
    I was worried about the nuts coming off because they looked rusty so I initially sprayed WD -40 waited 30 minutes and they where not difficult to unbolt at all.
    The nuts are brass color and I also thought they would copper but my magnet says they are definitely steel, but the metal gaskets are steel colored but not ferromagnetic?

4. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    Bob,

When I took my muffler to the shop, they took one look at it and didn't want to weld it.

They did however recommend a fabricator to do the welding and of course, he was way more expensive.

I had the white dust as well. It drove me crazy trying to keep the engine clean.

Like you, this was the best solution.

John

5. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Hello, do you have more details on the way you had it done by a "fabricator"?

What is a fabricator? Did you ship the silencer away to them or did they do the work immediately while you waited?

Any photos of before and after?

Exactly what joints should be welded?

What weld process / material should be used to get the best long term results on this $8k part? New replacements are quite expensive so I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Did you replace the silencer metal gaskets with new? I think they are one time use.

Thanks!

TheDiffuser likes this.
  6. bobp

bobp Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A fabricator is a skilled welder. I went to a muffler shop close to my house but I could have found a skilled welder - it was more convenient to go to the muffler shop on my lunch break. If you take the muffler out its easy to carry anywhere that does stainless steel welding. You have to weld the 4 pipes going into the muffler and in my case the 2 seams along the casing were opening also leaking the white powder.
    This is a REALLY EASY project- so dont be hesitant you cant do anything really wrong.

7. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    Just as Bob mentioned. It's fairly easy to remove the muffler. You can see the joints that are only pressed in and leak. I did not replace the gaskets. I did replaced the nuts to secure the muffler back on. They were pretty expensive for what they were.

Some muffler shops may be able to handle the welding. Just make sure they feel confident to do the job. If not, I'm sure they will recommend someone more qualified and more expensive. You get what you pay for. Good luck

8. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Thanks guys. This sounds like a great fix to complete at the same time as installation of Capristo brackets. I'll find someone who is confident with welding an expensive stainless steel part. I'm still not sure if my silencer is leaking or not, but it seems like I am continuing to get some new white dust even after resolving my "detail shop residual white polish" issue. And there are some audible resonance issues that I would really like to correct. Maybe making the silencer joints rock solid, plus the capristo brackets, will help clear up some of them.

I badly want to hear that beautiful engine rev from low to high RPM smoothly with nothing vibrating!

9. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Just as a long term follow up - if anyone here has had this welding work done - to stop the white powder in the engine bay - have those welds stayed intact?

Any cracking or broken welds? How many mines have been driven on newly welded areas?

Now I just have to find out where and what that white dust is !

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    It seems a waste of time to me as the dust will still get out eventually.
    It’s the insulation between the silencer body and the outer stainless steel skin.
    The 360 is far worse and I’ve rebuilt a spare one I had with a ceramic ‘super wool’ for less than £100. There is no dust to come out now.
    It just needs a TIG welder the tack the covers back in place and when finished you cannot tell it’s been apart.

brogenville likes this.
  11. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Hey Mike thanks for your reply and the Excellent photos - that is seriouly cool! Very well done and you can see the process you went through. Brilliant. I might have to contact someone who knows about these things and get them to do something similar. Ill do a bit more research - heres a pic showing the issue. Both 430 exhausts. On the right is a friends cars exhaust. On the left is my 430 exhaust, showing the fine white powder.

12. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The white powder is microporous insulation. A couple different companies make it for aerospace applications like Zircar and Promat, and some have adopted it for more broad thermal barrier applications.

Because of it’s density, it is one of the best performing insulating materials available.

If it’s dusting, I’d also suggest welding it up to avoid hot spots and eventual failure/rupture.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

TheDiffuser likes this.
  13. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Could you tell me - Ive seen a couple of youtube videos about welding the exhaust to muffler join, to prevent the white material spraying out. Id be fine with doing that, but - isnt part of the original design of not welding that gap, so that the exhaust has room to expand when its hot? It seems the 430 exhaust cracks are infamous. Ive seen people who have welded and its stoped the white material coming out, but I wory that will cause damage to another part of the 430 exhaust system?

Any knowledge anyone?

Thanks

14. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don’t have first hand experience, but yes I believe the original design was meant to take up some thermal expansion and welding the tubes may shift the expansion to somewhere else that may fail.

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    curious on the OEM insulation - was this put in place to keep under engine hood temps down?

What would be the consequences of running the muffler with no insulation?

Would the ex note change?

16. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The insulation would keep temps down. I would also think it effects sound to some degree as it would dampen the pipes going through it.

17. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Yes and yes..... since I reinsulated mine it’s a lot cooler and the exhaust isn’t as boomy. It also stays shiny rather than discolours.

18. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Did you notice any weight differences?

19. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Not interested in weight. The OEM silencer is a bit of a boat anchor so anything from the insulation is minimal and the original material will be similar to what I replaced it with.
    I did it purely to get rid of the dust and lower heat soak is a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk