328 LED driving light bulbs? | FerrariChat

328 LED driving light bulbs?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Apr 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I run with the "driving lights" (if that's what they are) on all the time but they aren't particularly bright. I was wondering if there is an LED replacement bulb for those lights? I've never opened them up and don't even know what kind of bulb is in there now.

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The lights I'm referring to are. per the manual, fog lights.

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well fog lights aren't supposed to be bright but if you want to use them as DRL's they're probably still okay. I mean, people are gonna see them even in the daylight. As for LED's sure you can get bright ones but in my opinion they are too bright, some of them ridiculously so. Take, for example, your typical police car or emergency vehicle nowadays. The lights are so bright and so numerous as to be bordering on ludicrous. The idea is to be seen and noticed, not to be so bright they blind people and you can't even actually look at them. Also, by installing bright LED's you'll ruin the fog light function.

But yes you can get them. Just find out what incandescent bulb is in there and go online, they have all sorts of inexpensive plug and play options that will work.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks Kcab! Maybe I'm over-thinking this.

As you said, if the point is to act as daytime running lights for increased "noticeability" (which it is in this case), they are good enough for that as is. I always pooh-pood the idea of needing daytime running lights but since it is now common, it seems some people can't see a car if it doesn't have lights. And since the 328 is pretty darned small, I figure that even though it's red, it needs help in the visibility department. Only thing I wish is that the fog lights would automatically turn off if the ignition is off because in the daylight it's hard to see the little fog-light warning lamp on the dash. I have gone into the hardware store and come out to see that I had left those lights on. But it's not a big enough deal to get me to modify the circuitry to do that. ;)

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've wired my flash-to-pass lights to stay on as DRL/fogs - which has no dash "on" warning... can't remember how many times I've left the damned things on after exiting the car. ;)

Milkshaker0007 and miketuason like this.
  6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Just a thought: Using a relay and switching them on/off via ignition on/off (?)

Best from Germany
    Martin

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've thought about it, as well as utilizing one of the unused warning lights on the dash (on the Euro, one of the 4 seems to do nothing.) But it just amounts of lack of motivation. One of those "Well, at least they work. Best to leave well-enough alone" sort of things...

8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If they have their own fuse all you need to do is remove and cap the source input and jumper a new input from the hot side of the switched bus. Then they will only work when the ignition is on.

I agree with you on the DRL use. I have a 308 so no fog lights and my solution was to do the wire mod that keeps the headlight buckets down when the parking lights are turned on then I installed the two-tone lenses and put in LED bulbs so they can be seen in the daylight. I'm trying to figure out now if I can get them to work as flash-to-pass lights although here in the states, nobody flashes to pass. They just pass on whatever side they want to without warning, land of the free and all...;)

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yes. The upper right yellow one. The manual says 'spare indicator'.

Best
    Martin

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's the warm-up light on US cars.

thorn likes this.
  11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I just did this not too long ago. After I did my Euro front conversion, I bought this wiring harness kit for my flash to pass from Harbor Freight, it comes with a relay, switch (lighted when turn on), and fuse all wired in and ready to go. The length are more than enough to reroute it through and around the car. I installed the switch under the dash. Switch shows with it on and off.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I repurposed the antenna switch, which was sitting disconnected and abandoned without purpose...now it's happily controlling fog lights and the garage door.

miketuason likes this.