Daytona value | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Daytona value

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by F140FG, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #76 miurasv, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Source of the 4 cam figure?

2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Original source of 330 (+10 NART) was Cavallino Magazine many years ago- DWR, I believe.
    Since that time I've seen the 330 units bumped to 331.
    I have no knowledge of any credible source claiming a different number.

miurasv likes this.
  3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thanks, Dave.

readplays likes this.
  4. MM31

MM31 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 28, 2020
    Hey Rob, can you open a PM with me for a moment? Thanks

5. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Sorry to sidetrack the discussion, but to finish the thought- Cavallino #34. Story by Dyke W. Ridgely. Chassis numbers compiled by Gerald Roush and Hilary Raab. 330+10. Nowadays the number is 331+10.
    Back to Daytona values... ;)

375+ and miurasv like this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you can send me a message, look under my profile.

7. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Let me try to share my perspective:

- Great story attached, well known car...its been covered in magazines, Chasing Classic Cars...worth a premium
    - Was very original, low miles timekeeper...worth a premium
    - Special colour...worth a premium.
    - Fantastic condition from what I can see.

My estimate today, as a recent buyer...its a the right asking price at 695. 600-650 buying range, great deal.
    As for condition, irrespective of colour I would rate this as a 600k USD Daytona. Add to that premiums for story, special colour, low miles...and for the hartbeat and desire it creates (or not) when you see the car...and my guess is that for the right buyer 650k USD is a good price. Accordingly it may go up or down, but that is a different story.

My reference for this car would be the blue Daytona that was recently for sale at Tom Harley Jr for GBP585k. Where I would personally prefer the 'Hemmings' example as it's lefthand drive.

4rextc likes this.
  8. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    My perspective

It has a story but being left neglected in a container for 30 years is not a great story to me but rather one of neglect. A car that has been used and loved (well maintained for its whole life) and has years of history is a great story IMO.
    The listing implies a lack of any real history (invoices service records etc) prior to 2011 so there is no way to guarantee the mileage in any way.
    Agree the paint colour is lovely
    It does look great in the photos and is supported by a Platinum award, but many cars do only to turn out to be not so great in real life, only a physical inspection by someone who knows Daytonas inside and out can establish its true condition right now.

Also worth noting this has been listed for sale for sometime and has been sold at public auction at least twice the last in 2018 by RM when it sold for $775k all in.

9. VinnieVintage

VinnieVintage Rookie

Oct 31, 2018
    Thank you.

So how close to "perfect" is this car? It looks like it has some minor paint issues. What else is holding it back -- the interior?

What more would a "perfect" car offer?

I appreciate your insights.

VV

10. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Perfect is in the eye of the beholder...from my experience when I actually searched for one...

- Perfect is how true it is to its original, how Ferrari created it, as to how it left the factory...
    -...which in the end...was not like a modern restoration...with shiny paint and all sort of improvements...this is another Perfect
    - Perfect by prospective buyer...the car you have always dreamt of, the colour you want, the story the owner Is telling you...a very subjective 'perfect'.

When buying; just try to combine a bit of each...

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    regarding the Hemmings daytona 14999 posted earlier, see before and after pix of color. the original dark egg plant color is as found in texas storage unit.
    pix courtesy of barchetta.com.

Attached Files:

12. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    These are photo's...hard to judge how actual in real life looks. Definitely the new paint is far more shiny wet paint...therefore will look different and much brighter.

Second to that I would prefer to buy 'absolutely stellar colour' over 'closest to original colour'..provided it fits the car and period colours.

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i saw that car in person at the mecum auction. circa 2012. those are definitely two different colors.

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If it sells, then it is clearly worth it. If not, then it's over-priced for what it is. Simple as that. Has it sold at that price?

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The car was displayed for sale by LBI at AACA Fall Hershey in October.

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what are the driving dynamics of a 275 4 cam vs daytona?

donv and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Clbferrari

Clbferrari Rookie

Jul 1, 2015
    Tarragona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Carlos
    Daytona are easy find in Europa around 500.000€ and probably less in next 6/12months...

Sono i sogni a far vivere l'uomo...
    #Asa 1000 #Dino 308 GT4 #Ferrari 308 GTB Vetroresina #Ferrari 308 GTSi US #Ferrari Mondial3.2 #Ferrari 308 GTB QV #Ferrari 328GTB #Ferrari 348 Spider #Ferrari F355 Spider #Ferrari Testarossa #Abarth Tributo Ferrari #Alfa GiuliaQV

18. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Can you share which 'easy' one?

I tried...could not find one I liked for 500k...yes if you want a red one, yes if you want a normal old driver car...not what I wanted...
    Really nice examples for 500k...show us...

Andreas72 likes this.
  19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would be interested in hearing about this as well. I've driven a Daytona, and have tens of thousands of miles on my 365GT (which is actually fairly similar to the Daytona in typical driving), but have never driven a 275.

Red Rocket and Texas Forever like this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Colombo2cam is the man to ask.

miurasv likes this.
  21. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I have never driven a 275 GTB/4 if that is the comparison wanted. I was lucky enough to drive lots of F cars before they became as valuable as they are now but never a 4 cam 275

22. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
  23. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I have to restate my opinion here. After reading the 'detail' on the LbiLimited page about paint finish and overall condition...about paint letting go, even though on a very small area, I would not not expect this on a freshly restored car that would all sorts of awards.

So I probably was wrong in my assessment, although have not seen the car and have to go by description. I believe this one is overpriced and could be market down. Time will tell....

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    just a few cars before mine so possibly an original pop up lights car? when was the change?