458 - Carbon Ceramic Brake & Rotor Cleaning | FerrariChat

458 Carbon Ceramic Brake & Rotor Cleaning

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rexcat458, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello to the group,

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all of the help and assistance offered to this rookie by the members of F-Chat. You all rock!!! I’ve been the proud owner of a 2015 458 Italia for three glorious months now. This is my first Ferrari, so the ink is still dripping wet on my Supercar license...

As such, I’m still trying to learn all about the best practices to care for “Giada,” my 458. One thing that I’m still unsure of is what type of cleaning products are the best to use on the carbon ceramic brake rotors, pads and the painted calipers.

These are the first carbon ceramics I’ve ever cared for, as my SonderKlasse Benzes always had steel rotors and some type of hybrid pads. So, what are the best products to use for general cleaning of the carbon ceramic rotors, brakes and painted calipers on a Ferrari 458?

They do not seem to get very dirty, but there is a wee bit of road grime on the caliper and grunge on the brake pad/rotor area that needs periodic cleaning. I’ve heard that some (acidic?) wheel cleaners can damage the rotors/pads to the point where they have to be replaced... Blimey!

Any help steering this wet behind the ears Ferrari rookie in the right direction would be appreciated. I just don’t want to end up on a YouTube “Supercar Hall of Shame” video with the thumbnail title “Rookie Destroys $25,000 Ferrari Brakes and Rotors on First Cleaning.”

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hello and welcome:)

Let's get right to it. Rotors and pads do not need cleaning. The pads are hidden, and unless your rotors are worn out, they should look nice and smooth.
    You can wipe them down with 99% isopropy alcohol, but that is usually something you do with new discs to avoid contaminants from fingers.

Here's what you should do.
    Get some wheel hangers to avoid damaging your CC rotors when removing the wheels.
    Raise the car one side at a time, and remove the wheels. Give the wheels a good clean using Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus.
    Take a bucket of soapy water which should be a good strong mix of what you would normally clean the car with. If the normal ratio is 30:1, use 15:1, you get the idea.

Note, and this is very important. DO NOT USE AN AUTO SHAMPOO THAT CONTAINS ANY KIND OF WAX, SEALANT, SILICONE OR OTHER ADDITIVE!!! Only use a quality auto shampoo that contains only soap. I like Sonax Green Lemon Auto shampoo and Gyeon Bathe.
    Wash the caliper thuroughly with a micro fiber sponge. After this you can give the caliper a rub down using a fine clay bar and the soapy water.
    As you don't have iron rotors, you don't need harsh chemicals to clean iron deposits.

The normal weekly or bi weekly, or what ever simple cleaning of your wheels and brakes, are done just using the auto shampoo and your high pressure washer. Again, as they are CC brakes, the deposits on your wheels are very similar to what is found on your paint - don't overthink it. Keep it simple as not much is needed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ShadowLAP likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The discs may also be "cleaned" with high pressure air from a tyre inflator.
    The holes in the discs may also become full after intensive use, so you may need to "mechanically" (but always gently) clean then.

4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    When washing the car, you can just hose the rotors and calipers down with water. This will and should clean out the little holes on the rotors of any clog of brake dust. I have a air compressor and I will blow out the brake dust...be sure to roll your windows up and do not breath the dust.

You can use soap on the rotors but just no soap that contains wax, silicone etc....just soap only. I have done this for years to clean out the rotors and calipers on ceramic rotors and calipers/pads. When drying the car it is good to blow out the rotors and calipers with compressed air to dry them.

1 tip- never spray tire shine on the tires as this can get on the ceramic rotors and that is bad for them, if you use tire shine just spray on a sponge away from the car and then apply a light coating to the tires.

ShadowLAP and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I often clean my rotors with some 70-0 stops, if you feel the abs, you are braking too hard.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks so much! I’m not familiar with those automotive cleaning products (I typically use Griot’s Garage cleaners and detail products), but I will look them up and get some.

I definitely want to get a wheel hanger, so I can pull the wheels off to clean them properly. I also need to get some plastic covers for the wheels/or rotors (if wheels are pulled off) when I’m using my foam cannon pre-soak before hand washing. That will prevent the pre-soak from getting on the rotors... Thanks again!

7. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks! I have a 10HP air compressor in my garage, so air is always available. It is also triple filtered to remove moisture, oil aerosols and other contaminants. I use it frequently for “touch less cleaning” of fine dust from the interior. Works a treat! Cheers!

8. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the information! I have a 3M professional powered PAPR that I wear when blowing out the engine bay, the wheel assemblies and the interior cabin with my air compressor. It’s amazing how much dust accumulates in the engine bay this time of year (pollen and road dust).

I’m also skittish about cleaning out the engine bay... I’ve only used compressed air thus far, as I’m unsure of what can get wet under the bonnet. Although the heat grating allows rain inside the engine bay, it’s not pressurized like water from a hose.

There is a lot of expensive electronics under the bonnet and I’m a rank newbie, so I’ve only wiped things down with a damp rag in addition to using compressed air. Some videos on YouTube say it’s ok to spray water inside the engine compartment, others say not to! Blimey!

Luckily, my engine was spotless when I bought the car, as well as the underside of the engine and transmission, but it gets light dust on it when I drive around. I’m trying to learn the right way to detail my 458, so I don’t inadvertently damage something.

Thanks again for your help and Cheers!

9. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    :ROTFLMAO: Rolling On The Floor Laughing My @ss Off for those unfamiliar with the acronym

I cleaned mine after the first 8,000 miles.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  10. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    5 inch long, 14mm x 1.5 pitch bolts from the hardware store should be about $3 each. Cut the heads off and you have your hangers.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Never go to a full stop when doing stops that displaces pad material to the disc. You might end up with uneven distribution. And if you dp it with iron rotors, you warp them.

Why do you say that it is too hard if the abs engages?

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You can make your own or get these. Basic idea is to replace one (I use two) wheel bolt so you don’t drop the wheel on the rotor when taking off the wheel. The reason to avoid any silicone cleaners is it bonds with the ceramic rotor and reduces braking efficiency.

http://www.**********.com/ferrari-m14-x-1-5-wheel-mounting-tool/

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

mdrums likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't worry about getting soap on the rotors. As long as it's a good soap without additives you're fine.

Get two wheelhangers. Better control and safer. The wheel can still swing into a rotor when one is used.

Need4Spd likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    To each their own. I prefer spending less than 15 mins a few times a month and have clean cars.
    1 min to hose down
    1 min for insect remover
    2 mins to foam
    2 mins to let work
    2 mins to rinse
    5 mins with an air dryer
    2 mins with a cloth
    Result: Clean car
    Much easier than slaving over layers of grit and grime accumulated over an entire season:)

Need4Spd likes this.
  15. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    What foam soap do you prefer??

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It depends, but for single stage hands off wash, these two are what I like

Autobrite Magifoam
    The Magifoam is what I have found to be the most efficient single stage/pre wash foam. It's very good, but it is also a prewash that can take off a bit of the wax. That is simply the nature of a shampoo that cleans. I don't care what name is on the bottle or what the price is, the prewashers that cleans the best are also the ones that removes wax more quickly than the gentle stuff. This one is good for e.g every six to eight weeks for a deeper clean. If it is used often, waxes and sealants are quickly removed. This makes it perfect for a proper deep clean with following hand wash, clay, sealant, wax and the whole nine yards.

For week to week quick hands off wash, I like Sonax Actifoam. It is mild and doesn't remove wax and sealants. Along with a bit of bug cleaner and tar remover, this can provide a great quick result.

For classic foam wash with a quick hand wash where you foam the car and wash with the same soap in a bucket, I like the two mentioned in my previous post. They are however, not really powerful enough for hands off wash. A prewash style foam is better for that, and for that I like the Magifoam and Actifoam.

SVCalifornia likes this.
  17. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the information. I’m not familiar with the products you use, so I will check them out. I primarily use Griot’s Garage car care products, but I’m open to others if they work as well or better.

I love using a foam cannon... It works very well as a pre-soak and it’s heaps of fun seeing your car covered with a thick layer of cleaning foam. It makes me grin every time I use it! Cheers!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  18. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I believe that ABS increases the heat in the brakes. I try not to engage ABS unless it is a panic situation. I think this is probably why you've heard not to go to a full stop when bedding pads. The closer you get to a full stop, the closer you are to engaging ABS and the closer you are to engaging hot pads on a stopped rotor.