Please stay away from this 812 | FerrariChat

Please stay away from this 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by islandtrader, Apr 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    Natkingcolebasket69 and F2003-GA like this.
  2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I guess I might be confused. If the salvage title is disclosed, and the quality of the repair job is acceptable, why shouldn’t the car be sold?

ChipG and jag-oo-r like this.
  3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why? He seems transparent about it, he says it's a salvage, and he says he has no problem having a dealer inspect it.

If someone wants to buy it, so be it. There are cars worth millions that have been in worse accidents than that. Cars are in fact repairable. I wouldn't pay $270K for a salvage 812, but there is definitely some price at which it would be worth it to someone.

LVP488 likes this.
  4. islandtrader

Jun 30, 2013
    Would you drive this car 200+mph? I personally don't think cars like this should be available, very dangerous.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Driving 200 mph is dangerous in any car.

6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Quit trying to tell other people how to live their lives. Worry about your own actions. Far too many people agree with your statement "I personally don't think cars like this should be available, very dangerous" and they are referring to the NEW ONES.

kane00, Jaguar36, m5shiv and 4 others like this.
  7. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I think you're being a little over- the- top here. You honestly know nothing about the repair work. It's entirely possible that the repair is in every respect equal to the factory quality.
    Do you have some other dog in this fight that you haven't told us about?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jordan68, andyrichter and WestCoasta like this.
  8. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Absolutely no problem, provided:

1. Repair work is decent
    2. They are transparent about the damage & repair
    3. Price matches with what is offered.

However...selling price will most likely be far 'under market value' compared to normal undamaged 812...and there will be a broker/salesman seeing an opportunity for a quick buck to be made and will be picking this one up...accordingly get rid of all history AND MEMORY...and sell on as a '1st owner, damage free, perfect' 812 at premium price. Someone will be tricked...it will happen.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If the techs at my dealer went through it and cleared it, I would be happy to run 210 in it.
    I suspect that those of us who live close to the Autobahn have a somewhat different perception of going fast.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    i have seen worse crashed cars (in person) fixed to perfection

11. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    Why do you say thay... Why do you think this car shouldn't have been fixed?? What exactly is dangerous? Ive seen this car before and after the fix... it was not that bad. If you trust metal/welding in the first place, why cant it be repaired safely? Its not like they welded a shock shaft back together...it was just the front tub/bumper support- its meant to come apart there, and its easy to replace them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    Well that would be the perfect alignment of a sociopath/decisional salesman and an absolute moron with too much money.

This will not happen...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

13. islandtrader

Jun 30, 2013
    No dog in the fight, I’m just concerned this car will get sold as nothing has happened. Did not mean for this to be controversial. I highly doubt the tolerances are the same or even close to factory spec. Paint does not match either, only certain shops have paint codes for Ferraris. I feel there is a reason the insurance company sold this for 125k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Why would someone even bother looking at this one. There are plenty of straight ones for sale at not much more.
    If you are in the market at that price perfection is everything, really who would pay that much for second best. Beats me

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Repaired cars are not garbage and if repairs are carried out correctly they represent a great opportunity for someone to buy a car at a big discount to drive and enjoy. In a way I'm happy that there are lots of ignorant people out there who think that Ferrari repairs are somehow special and the work of only the anointed few. At the right price I would have no issue buying a repaired car and have zero issues with driving it like a perfect example. You should see how many high end race cars are brought back after huge accidents and go on to be very successful. No pixie dust just proper procedure and any car can be fixed.

16. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    For each price point there is a different buyer....hence why you see so many near new cars pushed from Factories to the market with limited use...look at new RS6...lots of buyers for cars with few thousand miles.

As long as price reflects this is ex damaged car...

Nuvolari likes this.
  17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Many old racing cars have been rebuilt at some point, sometimes more than once, and still are being tracked. If the work is done right, there shouldn´t be safety issues.

The big problem here is if the story of the car "gets lost in translation".

jag-oo-r likes this.
  18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    FWIW, if you Google the VIN (zff83cla0j0235923) some pretty stark pictures of damage appear among the top hits.
    The ad above has a link to many, many pics on Google Drive, presumably showing the car after repairs.
    T

19. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    fully agree, I remember one specific car I raced occasionally (488 GT3) has been cut in half, 3 times, and we still did podiums in 12h races... if its properly done and seller is transparent then I see no Issue and the paintjob is even better than from the factory

jag-oo-r, Thecadster and Nuvolari like this.
  20. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Firstly I hope the reference to 'ignorant people' was a general comment rather than specific but more to the point there are 6 cars on Auto Trader under 250k and some at just over 200k, all of which are straight one owner low mileage. A further 40 812s are for sale and quite a few of those at not much more. This car is at 216k and represents in my view poor value for money. At 175k with full history advertised, full repair analysis with parts receipts offered for inspection then it would be feasible for someone of the less than 'ignorant' type of purchaser.
    Of course race cars are stitched together often, if you don't bend them occasionally you're not trying hard enough. I used to Air Race and some of the bumps and subsequent repairs would frighten most out of the sky forever.

tomc likes this.
  21. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    That wouldn't be difficult.

Napoli and 350MH83 like this.
  22. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    We do this all the time on our race cars. Considering these cars are then driven at sustained high speeds, high g loads and for 8 hour races, I would say they get stressed way more than a street car ever will. I have no problem getting in a properly rebuilt car and driving it at 10/10ths in a race.

24. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    After viewing the video I'm even more convinced. Gas welding and MIG welding on front subframe with no Jig in sight. Different metal grade and strength used with no crash test analysis, No alignment cramps to prevent heat distortion, No chassis frame jig to check original trueness, No removal of interior to check for welding fractures to floor and bulkhead. I can't imagine any Ferrari main agent taking this one in as Part Ex.
    I fully accept that all cars can be repaired but this is an 812 road car being sold at typical retail and the hit will be significant when next sold on as it competes in the market with non Cat C cars

Makuono and Napoli like this.