812 GTS additional paint, | FerrariChat

812 GTS additional paint,

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Mr. M., Apr 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. M.

Mr. M. Rookie

Jun 7, 2019
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    MI
    Just got an allocation for a 812 GTS, my dream car. Will swap my 488 Spider which is a great car but always wanting a V12 on the driveway. A question, to me carbon fiber is very sporty, perfect for mid engine cars but not perfectly suitable for GT’s. I do however strongly dislike the grey plastic color on the interior pieces. Anyone knows roughly what the cost of getting the plastic painted in piano black? Same with the exterior, anyone knows what the cost roughly would be to paint glossy black on the parts where I skip the carbon fiber? Is this the wrong way considering reselling value?

I am going for Grigio Scuro exterior and Nero interior. Like the standard seats, will stitch the Prancing Horse in yellow.

2. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    #2 nads, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    If you have it done at the factory via Atelier my guess would be 75% ish of the cost of CF. As to your second question, depends on whether you prioritise speccing for your personal enjoyment or for that of the next owner?

FerrAli likes this.
  3. Mr. M.

Mr. M. Rookie

Jun 7, 2019
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    MI
    Thanks for your reply. Sounds fair I guess. Yes I want to have it done from factory. How about black roof on a GTS? Think it would look quite nice to a grey color.

I am speccing the car for myself but always good with a second opinion on a spec. Resell value is not a priority for me but I do take it into consideration, especially if picking options that makes the car difficult to resell.

4. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I don’t blame you on CF. My 812 has none. Lost its uniqueness to me, becoming de mode. But for resale seems to check many people’s boxes.

Regardless, tasteful uniqueness is a good thing and can enhance value.

Unfortunately, more often often than not with many Ferrari specs, the uniqueness of some people’s taste is “eye opening” to say the least.

PS my son’s Ford pickup has the CF package (my 812 doesn’t have a gram of it) - does CF belong in a pickup?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    If it helps, the grey plastics are in fact aluminium, although they do look like plastic.

6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Very nice to the touch though. In fact, the aluminium is as pretty, more tactile and certainly more honest than the CF. I have cars with and without but in an 812, absolutely nothing wrong with the aluminium in the standard interior.

mthompson2376 likes this.
  7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The cost of painting the outer black parts in gloss black is £5000 this does not include the mouth next to front grill. i.e. rear bumpers, rear diffuser, sills under doors, front spoilers.

You can only have painted the very top section in black which I think will look odd, but it’s up to you and will only be seen with the roof up.

8. Mr. M.

Mr. M. Rookie

Jun 7, 2019
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    MI
    Thanks. Price sounds fair, I do also want to paint the mouth, think it would look nice.

Why not paint the whole roof including window frame? All the way back to the trunk? In that way it is visible also with the top down.

This is my first build at Ferrari. I have had a few F-cars before but always bought existing cars from dealer. It is hard to chose what to get and what not. Great fun though.

9. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    You can spec this from your dealer. You may have to get approval from Maranello but if doing in black, no reason they wouldn't approve it. I looked into it a while back but I think that 75% quote is pretty close to correct.

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    @JackCongo Painting the roof black is mentioned in post #8 here. There aren't any comments at the time whether or not you could do that on your build specs...

11. Mr. M.

Mr. M. Rookie

Jun 7, 2019
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    MI
    I am still configuring my car. I have changed quite a lot from my initial idea, the car will be red and I am leaning toward Rosso TRS. From my understanding only the top can be painted black, this is not an option for me. I still think it would looks nice with the roof/window frame/buttress in black but as this is not an option for me I will skip it.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    It was definitely not an option in January this year. It was"top roof only". Let us know if it has changed since then as I suspect that they must have received many requests for a global black top including buttress/frame etc.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Jack, if I may allow myself to submit a suggestion for your GTS;) :

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Avia11, 9nb, of2worlds and 1 other person like this.
  14. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well, I think I will go for a TM glossy aluminum grey. A very thin stripe is also considered but didn’t think about the French colors !

Count prestige Daytona seats with special features are also on the menu...

Avia11 and of2worlds like this.