458 - How Many Miles is Too Much? | FerrariChat

458 How Many Miles is Too Much?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MaybeSomeday31, Apr 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaybeSomeday31

Feb 1, 2020
    With the price I am *comfortable* spending, some 458s fit into that budget (even more if market allows strong buyer sided negotiation). Below is the cheapest one on the market via cargurus except one with salvage title, accidents and rental use.

38k miles for the 2011. 458. Seems like a lot but I have no idea, I am just looking to dip my first foot into the exotic car world. Is this uncharted territory for these? Do we know how reliable they are and how long they can last?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=92615&showNegotiable=true&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&distance=50000&sortType=PRICE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2064#listing=269257757

FYI, my comfort level on what I want to spend is like low 100k area. Under 120 really.

paulchua likes this.
  2. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I am sure some will lecture on spending or say go buy a 430 so be prepared.

Mileage is not a killer to me so much as well maintained and sorted. Well kept cars show it. Mine has 40K and looks brand new. Very well kept and cleaned also wrapped for a lot of its life.

Now that said all the moving parts have more wear and that is where the discussion starts. Is it better for longevity to drive it or let it sit.

If a ppi shows a good then move forward.

3. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    75K is too much. Below that, drive and enjoy.

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I would be more concerned with the effects of salted roads. With that mileage, it was likely driven in less than ideal situations in Chicago. Mileage would be a non factor 'for me'.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Below 120k 458's? Interesting. I thought all the 458 guys said they didn't depreciate and retained value better than a 488. So can someone now purchase a used 488 with 35k miles for less than 120k in the US?

Anyway. Mileage is not the killer, maintenance is. A poorly maintained car with 8k miles on it can be a much worse nightmare than a 35k car that was driven and maintained well. Ferraris are no different than any other car - they need to be driven to stay in shape. Garage queens leak, dry out, rust and all the rest of it. When you find a car, take it to a proper PPI so that you know that it is sound. If it is, just drive it and enjoy.

Napoli, mdrums, whatheheck and 2 others like this.
  6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #6 AlfistaPortoghese, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Buy condition, history and spec.

Mileage doesn’t matter. I’ve seen cars with 12.000km that have been abused (cold start revving, doughnuts, sketchy maintenance, garage queens) and cars with 60-70.000 km plus, running smoothly like a swiss clock. As new or better.

Ferrari has made this cars in terms of reliability no more troublesome than your BMW or Mercedes. As for what is too much, it depends. Everything has a right price for the right buyer. Give me a 100.000 mile 458 for 75 grand and I’ll take it. Just an example.

As far as prices go, they’re very market dependable. In my neck of the woods, with 120.000 USD you can’t buy a decent F430, period, let alone a 458.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

obbob and paulchua like this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My 2013 458 Spider has just over 35K miles. It has never missed a service. Runs perfectly...flawless in fact. My friend has a 2014 458 Spider with about 55K miles...same.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wouldn't hesitate buying it if you have some cash on hand in case something goes wrong...DCT etc...

paulchua likes this.
  9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 noone1, Apr 28, 2020
    Since it's your first exotic, are you set on a Ferrari specifically? There are probably some other good options out there for your price range. Can't you get like a 17/18 R8 V10 Plus for around $120K? Probably a lot cheaper to maintain and service, probably the same or more reliable, possibly under warranty, probably cheaper to insure, and probably all-around better.

No car is a 458 other than a 458, but it didn't seem like you were necessarily set on a 458 since you were also asking about a California and a 430.

I personally wouldn't stretch to get into the cheapest 458. Don't forget you'll need consumables too and maybe an immediate maintenance. I doubt the guy with 40K miles replaces his tires just before listing it for sale.

Strange the seller wouldn't put pictures of the interior. Interior could be rough.

TiptonInAustin likes this.
  10. TiptonInAustin

Feb 16, 2015
    I wouldn't get a 458 unless you love, love, love it. The Audi R8 is a great suggestion, IMO, if you want something exotic and fast, with reasonable repairs. The 458 is reaching the age where the roof starts to sag, the buttons get sticky, the foam starts to rot in places wrinkling your perfectly kept leather. And I have a 2014 with < 8k miles. But I have both the cash and love to restore each thing when it breaks or wears. In my experience, the love is key. Without it, spending money on repairs always sours a car for me. I've traded cars under warranty just because I got tired of the hassle of warranty repairs. But the 458 is worth it to me. If I was in the $120k range, I'd jump on an Audi, or perhaps the new Corvette.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in no normal state of mind can one compare an audi to a 458. especially when that advice comes from a guy who has never bought a car.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My thought exactly. They are worlds apart, but Noone1 wouldn't anything about that.
    The R8 is a nice little car for sure, but it is not an exotic thoroughbred. A guy comes on asking about a 458, and then the guy with zero experience straight up suggest an Audi. Ffs. At the very least he could have suggested a C8 or a used F430...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Igor Ound, PTG1, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  13. TiptonInAustin

Feb 16, 2015
    I did suggest a C8, literally the last word of my post.... and I don't own a Ferrari? How did I take a picture of this post on top of a 458 so fast? ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I referred to Noone1. Read my post again.

15. TiptonInAustin

Feb 16, 2015
    ttforcefed was quoting me and saying I've never bought a car.

I stand by everything I said. Spoken as an owner. Are an Audi and a Ferrari the same thing? Of course not. But I feel it is prudent to warn people they are buying a $250k car with $250k car maintenance issues. Audi R8's have issues, no doubt. But a blown transmission in an R8 might cost the same as a malfunctioning parking brake in the 458. Just something to think about.

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 noone1, Apr 28, 2020
    Well I did 18K miles in my R8, so...

He asked about a California, an F430, a 458, and I noticed someone also just asked about a 50K mile 650S that was under $120K as well, so possible the same guy. My guess is that he wants an exotic and doesn't really care which one.

His question was already answered anyway: Miles don't matter. Not on a 458, not on any modern exotic. They're all relatively reliable.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    tt was also referring to noone1 with his remark about someone whom has never bought a car.
    noone1 has been roaming the boards for a long time, and being both negative as well as critical about something he has zero knowledge about, has taken several members to where enough is enough.

As a 488 guy.with prior 458 experience, I fail to understand what makes so.eone suggest an R8. If one wants to play that hand and suggest looking elsewhere, I really don't understand the R8 suggestion.
    Gallardo 560? McLaren 570 or even 12C? Not entirely sure that I will agree with Nuno that a decent F430 cannot be found in the US for 120k, at least that's not what I am hearing and seeing.
    Like I said, an R8 is a nice car, a nice Audi. The interior is Audi all the way - as easy to live with and as dull as can be. No doubt someone can get a nice driving car for a lot less than a 458, but it will never be the same as an exotic.

I think the main objective here is to establish whether or not the OP can get a well maintained 458 in the US in that price bracket. I think so. Last year we saw the cars starting to get into the 150-160 range. Now COVID-19 is here and all prices are on the decline. Yes you see 458 with many miles on them sitting at dealers for over 180k, but that does not represent the market as many of those cars do not move. Dk I think 120 is a bit of a stretch? Right now yes, but perhaps not in two-three months. This pandemic will put more used models on the market and fewer will have the means to purchase. These two factors are what will determine the prices.

Question to the OP. Have you seen any cars in your price range? If so, put up the links.

paulchua likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wasnt referring to you - was referring to noone1

PTG1, paulchua and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  19. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #19 noone1, Apr 28, 2020
    How many R8s have you driven again?

The R8 makes more sense than the cars you suggest because the OP is on a low budget. It doesn't matter what he pays for the car because the service and part prices don't depreciate. Just looking at an old email, the 15K service on the R8 was $750.

He's concerned about reliability, so you'd have to be out of your ****ing mind to recommend a McLaren. Not because they'll blow up, but because they have so many small annoying problems that can be a PITA if you don't live right by a dealer.

F430? Maybe, but it's old and super low performance and the interior is dated as hell. Sounds good, but so does a NA V10 in an R8. LP560? Not that many manuals were ordered on that, though you might be able to find some in the 550-2 and Balboni (though I'm sure they've gone up in price). I can't imagine buying an old car and then opting for the paddles instead of the manual.

New R8 is DCT, NA V10, comes in RWD and doesn't have a 10-15 year old interior. If you go for an old gen R8 you can even get a 6-speed manual, albeit the interior is a bit more dated.

If you just want an exotic and you're not set on a specific one, why on Earth would you recommend a F430 in 2020?

If someone is asking about reliability for high miles on a stretched budget, you don't recommend an out of warranty, old car.

20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I got rid of my f10 m5 after 18k miles and 18 months. I loved the car but it left me in the middle of the road with a dead engine because of fuel pump failures twice. I had to coast off the road both times. The first was on Lamar in front of the old Ferrari dealership and I had to turn across oncoming traffic, barely made it to the curb. The second was on Mesa and I was able to get into a church parking lot. Those were only two of the major problems. There were other mysterious limp mode problems that would clear up on restart but who wants that?

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    How may R8's I've driven? Every single incarnation of them lol:D
    Speaking of which, how many F430, 458, and R8's have you driven?

But anyhow, you actually sums it up well with your last question. If you actually ask that and can't understand why one would recommend an F430 in 2020, your lack of knowledge and understanding of what defines a proper exotic, is quite evident. Vintage has little to do with anything and I'm a bit baffled that you don't understand this.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    This post shows how little you know about ferraris. If you had any sort of clue u wld know a 430 is perfect way to go. You know nothing and shld be banned from this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Themaven, Igor Ound, IloveGT and 3 others like this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Some people want high performance, some people want an exotic, some people want a Ferrari....
    One may choose a Nissan GT-R, certainly very good performance for the money, but some may prefer an F430 to have a Ferrari, others may go for an Audi R8 to get something close to a supercar... so there are many options, the decision has to be be personal - but it has to be economically (relatively speaking) sensible.

BCHOW, Il Co-Pilota and paulchua like this.
  24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #24 noone1, Apr 28, 2020
    So let's see... Proper exotic...

1. Rear mid-engine
    2. Manual 6-speed/DCT
    3. NA V10/NA V8
    4. RWD variants
    5. Low production and uncommon
    6. Successful motorsport platform (R8 GT3/LMS) that won NR 24 hour 5 times.
    7. More or less the same as the Gallardo and Huracan, in some cases being what they are based on
    8. Gets a ton of attention just like a Lamborghini or Ferrari
    9. Audi's "pedigree" is well established in LMP

Maybe one day they'll have a proper exotic.

This "proper" exotic nonsense is what gives the niche a bad name.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    "If you just want an exotic and you're not set on a specific one, why on Earth would you recommend a F430 in 2020?"

gonna make this my signature for the duration of 2020