Daytona value | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Daytona value

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by F140FG, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Bill Harrahs plexinose Daytona that was on the cover of Road and Track sold for $1M +/- around 2015/16.
    Great Daytona to have, full nut and bolt resto done correctly. seller was disappointed. was expecting $1.8M.

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the daytona for sale at Tomini Classics doesnt have engine or undercarriage pix.

3. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    This is important...implication is Chassis # has been Changed/fiddled with/Not Original number.??
    MM was too a bit cryptic in his comment about this car.

Please enlighten us,
    Thank You

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think the issue with Daytona's is as TTR says there are restorations and cosmetic detailing for want of a better word. If you look at Daytona's the relatively speaking high production run, the disadvantage of that is the best cars unfortunately get brought down by the many more average ones so while you can say $500k buys a good Daytona, I doubt it would buy an excellent one.

In my opinion there is far too much of a price difference between a 275 and a Daytona.

donv, colombo2cam, TTR and 1 other person like this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Besides, IMO, only real and quantifiable references to values regarding ANYTHING, are those shared by individuals having just purchased or sold items in question. Everything else, including asking prices, auction reports, value guides or interweb forum peanut gallery opinions are suggestive and speculative at best and should be treated as such.
    I’m pretty sure (& know) there’s Daytonas (and lots of other cars) that aren’t or wouldn’t be available even at twice their currently perceived “market” values.

colombo2cam likes this.
  6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    timo
    do you have any knowledge of recently sold daytonas? if so, condition and price please.
    what are the asking prices in your area?
    thanks

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry Ed, but with all due respect, I had hoped you’d know me enough that even if I possessed knowledge of any actual sales or transactions, I wouldn’t disclose/share their details with outsiders, let alone on public forum.

As for the asking prices, since I'm not actively looking to buy one, I have no reason to pay attention to them.

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    IMHO this last sentence is not really telling - there are always people wanting to keep what they have, so they would not sell for whatever price; it has no impact on the real market which is between willing sellers and buyers.

375+ likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think so, the 275 is just an amazing car (IMHO better looking by far than the 250 GTO). However, I do agree the Daytona should be higher in comparison to the 2+2's, BB, and Dino's.

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would say that at $500k, a Daytona is roughly 2x or even a bit more the price of the comparable 2+2s. And the BB. That positions it about right on a relative basis. I don't know what Dino prices look like these days. A 275 should be about 3x a Daytona, and that's about where we are.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree with all of that.

pilotoCS likes this.
  12. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    My 2 cents - A Daytona is the first Ferrari "supercar" and the only one in the Enzo era with a V12. For pricing relationships its hard to derive its price off of other Ferraris as it stands alone. I personalty would not compare pricing with a 2+2 of any kind. A 275 is the last of its kind and the Daytona is the first and only one of its kind, For how great a good one drives and the emotion and experience of winding one out I say priceless - My widow may not agree.

BigTex, hagen111 and Edward 96GTS like this.
  13. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Aside from the basic difference in "age," one thing that distinguishes 275s from Daytonas is the fact that the Daytonas were much more "series production" in the modern sense. One can argue about what this means for charm (in favor of the 275s) or quality (probably in favor of the Daytonas), but one thing that is hard to deny is that the run of 275s is broken-up into a bunch of much smaller runs of variants, whereas aside from Spyders and Plexis, the Daytonas all get grouped into one larger pool of cars. I think this tends to make Daytonas more "interchangable," and this helps keep values lower.

Though the fact that competition Daytonas go for less than competition 275s, and Daytona Spyders sell for less that 275GTB/4s (of which more were made) does strike me as hard to explain... Perhaps the association with the start of the Fiat Era?

375+ likes this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 you made some very good points. IMO the 275 is the last classic Ferrari Berlinetta. The lineage of the iconic 250 GTO to 275 GTB is unmistakable. The Daytona is the last Enzo-era V12 Berlinetta.

15. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    Although I agree with you, I feel like the Daytona should be more considered

16. VinnieVintage

VinnieVintage Rookie

Oct 31, 2018
  17. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
  18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Production numbers and rarity: I think 442 275s vs 1406 Daytonas.

I've never heard the rule of thumb of a 275 GTB costing 3x the price of a Daytona, but it makes sense. At least for steel twin cam cars.

Matt

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the RM car doesnt show undercarriage and im not sure color is exactly as it was found.
    does anyone have a link to the barn find pix? i believe it was on wayne carinis chasing classic cars.

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    There were also, depending on which source you believe, 280, 330 or 350 275 GTB/4s made, 10 275 GTS/4 NART Spyders, and 200 of the entirely different shape, but the same underneath, 275 GTS.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The Daytona is handsome, a 275 GTB is beautiful. The market establishes valuation.

F140FG likes this.
  22. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    331 275 GTB/4s and 10 NART Spyders.

miurasv likes this.
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    perfectly said

24. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There are comprehensive pictures here: https://lbilimited.com/offerings/1972-ferrari-365-gtb-4-daytona/

This looked to me to be nice car, though there are some oddities (like the painted brake booster), and the "shine" is coming off the undercarriage.

One thing that I wonder about is how much was done in the restoration. There are some pics floating around of the car after it was first cleaned-up, and it basically looked pretty good. It would be a shame of a lot of its originality was "corrected"...