Wheel Bolts | FerrariChat

Wheel Bolts

Discussion in '308/328' started by JFerrari328, Apr 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
  2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

We offer the Hill Engineering bolts at Ricambi America: SLWB01

At the bottom of the page, there is a drop-down selection where you can chose the specific bolt size/application needed.

newark_308 and kidryno like this.
  3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Can you re-chrome them?

miketuason likes this.
  4. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Just purchased a set from Ricambi for my 308, as mine were getting a bit rusty after 36 years.

5. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
    Thanks Guys,
    Having them looked at for re-chrome tomorrow. If to pitted, Ricambi, who is always good.

J

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I'd think the Hill Engineering bolts from Ricambi would be less expensive than re-chroming AND better quality. ;)

7. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    agree with rechrome.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The Wheel bolts on my '89 328 GTB were pitted when I bought the car 12 years ago; bought a set of rechromed original bolts on E-Bay U.K one Sunday morning for $ 200, postage included...then had the original set of bolts rechromed, which was not that difficult as I'm in a region where steel industry and its ancillaries were traditional. The full set was re-chromed for $ 200, a job well done even if the threads themselves were also rechromed in the process, which I would have prefered not to. The set from E-Bay U.K put on the car 10 years ago is still perfect.

Had to order a new original front bolt for the GTS three years ago, oddly for an OEM part, its head is slighty longer than those on the car, something like 2 mm; you have to know it to notice...

Rgds

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes

10. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I had my Dino bolts very similar to the 308s rechromed a few years ago. They looked funny and a little off since the shop had to grind them before chroming them.

11. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Should you re-chrome them?
    No, probably not.

I'm an enthusiast of re-plating stuff and I like shiny stuff. But I would replace the wheel bolts with new. There are several sources and prices vary widely. As nerofer mentioned he paid the same for a set as it cost to re-chrome.

12. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
    Hello,
    Thanks for all the input. I spoke with a local plating guy who I have used before. He wants to see the bolts and is confident his plating is better than any OEM (I am still interested in Hill). Also, the threads will NOT be plated. Has anyone thought of a satin finish, seeing that the wheel bolts are the only piece of chrome on the car.
    Thanks,
    J

13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    As long as you don’t care about being 100% original in appearance, I think satin finish bolts against the painted wheels would actually be a great look.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Any specific reason? Do you feel that the re chroming process compromises the bolts in some way?

Rosey likes this.
  15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Or metal fatigue perhaps??

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Buy new bolts from Ricambi! The Hill Engineering bolts are identical in dimension to original and are made to a much higher standard. If you have your existing bolts re-chromed you will still have decades old bolts and you will end up spending close to the cost of a replacement set to get a good job done. In addition if the chrome shop does not properly handle the issue of hydrogen embritllement during the chroming process, you run the risk of having your bolts break. In the long run you don't save anything by trying to re-use the original bolts.

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    waymar likes this.
  18. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Wheel bolts often get abused. So many people think that proper torque is their body weight on the end of whatever the longest lever they can find. I don't have an issue with chroming, and I don't have an issue with a bolt just because it is 40 years old. Probably they are fine, but if I'm going to put almost the same money as new, and there's nothing special about the original parts, then I'm going to go with new. There are certainly parts I would put money into refinishing and restoring, this just happens to not currently be one of them.

Rosey and waymar like this.
  19. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    makes sense

20. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Current price for HE bolts is $19 each so $380 plus shipping for a set so I don’t think the cost comparison to rechroming is as close as suggested. New might still be the right decision just the cost is not close to being a wash.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Don’t forget that once you buy a new set of bolts you will be left with a set of ‘OEM Ferrari bolts’ to sell which there is always a customer for. The extra money from the sale will easily put you ahead.

newark_308 likes this.
  22. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Good point!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    DON'T sell them. Keep them for when you sell the CAR. Many folks looking to buy one of these cars see it as "more valuable" if everything is original or, if not, that you have all the original parts to go with the car. ;)

24. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
    All good info, I am now leaning towards new.
    Thanks Guys.
    J

25. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    I had all mine re chromed for a cost of $160 Australian, Came out great

BigTex likes this.