430 - For those with Top Speed headers | FerrariChat

430 For those with Top Speed headers

Discussion in '360/430' started by MJGinTX, Apr 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    I’m considering Top Speed headers for my 430.

When I asked the Top Speed representative if Fabspeed or Capristo blankets would fit, he wasn’t sure.

For those of you that have Top Speed headers - have you put blankets on them?

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I have top speed headers on my 360 w fabspeed blankets. Fits on my application.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you look at a Capristo manifold you can see your topspeed ones do not have any way to hold them on, they have press stud strips of insulation to hold them on, but nothing to attach too at the head.

4. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Had Top Speed headers with both Fabspeed and Capristo blankets. No problems with the fit at all. I have IPE headers now with Capristo blankets. Just pull them on and button them up.

5. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks Zed. Curious as to your experience with the Top Speed headers? And ultimately what made you switch.

6. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I had those ceramic coated and fitted for two years and 6000 miles without any issues really except for the noise. From my point of view they sound horrible, probably because of the unequal length tubes. The engine note sounds boomy and very muscle car like with a touch of a Subaru boxer engine. I changed because of that.

7. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks Zed. One thing I’m concerned about is the new headers being too loud. I also don’t want it to sound like a muscle car. How do you find the IPE headers in comparison?

8. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I have a full IPE exhaust fitted now and it’s like a symphony orchestra. F1 high pitch with that wail throughout the rev range.

9. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I don’t have a benchmark other than stock, but my setup is Fabspeed headers -> Capristo test pipes -> tubi exhaust and it sounds, to me, like quintessential, fabulous, peak Ferrari. Everything I want.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks.

Was hoping to keep OEM muffler/exhaust and just change out the headers (for piece of mind).

My fear through all of it is it being too loud and too “muscle car” sounding.

11. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I hear ya. So I started with stock and it was far too quiet for me. I needed more Ferrari sound.

Added a tubi exhaust. This opened it up a little bit but frankly it still sounded stifled to me.

Thus I swapped in the fabspeed headers and capristo test pipes. Now it sounds like it should in my book.

For reference I also own a 66 Ford Mustang restomod. They are both v8s with aggressive exhausts and they sound WORLDS different.

In no way would I characterize my 360 as sounding muscle car-ish. It sounds like a refined, highly engineered Italian sports car, truly unique and differentiated.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks

SRLC716 likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Is that on a 360 or 430? And does your setup have the burbles and backfire?

14. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Sorry for yet another question for you. But with your Top Speed headers, were they paired with OEM exhaust? Thinking of a S line + Top Speed setup.

15. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    Just an an update. I installed the TopSpeed headers. Got CEL almost immediately. Replaced rear O2 sensors (as I had a set of them) and then a set of Big Daddies Garage mini-cats (no affiliation).

So far I haven’t had a CEL - although I have only driven a handful of times for less than 100 miles.

I also put Fabspeed blankets on them - and temps seem to be under control. I felt that given the lower price for the top speed headers, the blankets were free. :)

The sound is definitely louder but not to an extreme. While I prefer the sound of the stock system I like the peace of mind of not having to worry about the stock manifold failing.

one4torque and ditpixs like this.
  16. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    This is exactly my set up. I have about 1k miles on the TopSpeed headers, Fabspeed Blankets, Big Daddies mini-cats. I also agree that it is louder than stock, but not as "good" sounding. Got a bit lower in tone.

I've considered swapping to a Kline exhaust... but not sure what that would do to the sound?

(I live in CA, so passing smog is always a concern)

17. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    430. Yes it does burble and backfire. Mostly when cold.

18. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I had both the OEM exhaust and Tubi dual muffler.

19. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Thats what I have and am in the bay area if you want to hear it and are local or in the area at some point.

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Your car must scream! I have cap headers and cap 200 cel cats with stock muffler and its pretty loud. What wld a capristo exhaust do to my setup? Heart pounding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. barazaar

barazaar Rookie

Feb 27, 2015
    Hi guys I am about to replace my stock manifolds on my 08 F430 with 12k miles. Very confused Capristo or Fabspeed headers. Now a very well respected Ferrari mechanic recommended Top speed, I must admit the price is tempting as well! I plan on keeping the stock exhaust as well. For the guys who went this route did it work our well for you?

22. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    I went with Top Speed as price was too good to pass up.

One word of caution - as it was recommended to me as well - is to make sure that the header flange (where it mates/attaches to the engine) is flat. Because I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I could drive to Top Speed to pick them up.

I had them bring out multiple sets of headers (3 sets I think) until I found ones that were flat. I had to mix and match from different sets until I got 2 that were good.

Other than that, It’s been all good. The FabSpeed blankets do a nice job on the temps and the BigDaddies have eliminated the CELs.

It’s been a year and I have been pleased with them and have had no issues.

barazaar likes this.
  23. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Grab an s - lines. I am in San Francisco if you want to hear what it sounds like. Topspeed headers, stock secondary cats and s line.

24. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

I think the 360 are the only ones that suffer from not being flat. The 430 headers are all dialed in and perfect apparently. Ultimately a bad way to run a business but if you have a 430 should be in the clear.

gsworld2014 likes this.
  25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    360 top speed customer here... mine needed machining— decking at 120$ usd