430 - Can’t go reverse | FerrariChat

430 Can’t go reverse

Discussion in '360/430' started by Andrie, Apr 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    My 2007 F430 with 18k miles recently having issues as it won’t go to reverse after it warms up. 30 minutes drive and it won’t go to reverse. I was going shopping so I thought I deal with it when I finished. 2 hours later when I finished, car reverse no problem. I got home, again it won’t go to reverse. This happened summer or last year. I didn’t have time to look into it.

Since I’ve bought Launch to adjust the PIS. My PIS reading was 4.19. I checked and when it’s cold the gearbox speed was moving when engine idle. Not the same speed but it showed drag. I adjusted it to 4.3 and have zero gearbox speed and tested it on Friday but still a problem. On Sunday I kept adjusting it 4.4, then 4.5, where it is into a point it slipped a lot during take off and still after a 30 min drive it won’t go to reverse. Any other ideas?

2. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Have you tried doing a self learn and see how it acts without adjusting pis?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Mine would not go in reverse only way to get in reverse put in first and then try reveres. Sounds like your clutch is at it in of life . Replace clutch never happen again

4. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    My clutch is fairly new. Replaced at around 16k miles along with actuator and pump. I tried from first gear to no avail.

I have not tried self learn. Will try to do so.

5. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I’ve read your engine/transmission should be at operating temp when doing the relearn. Only takes a couple minutes with your Launch.

6. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Always make sure you're going from first gear to reverse.

My 360 would have issues from neutral and wouldn't want to go into reverse. Good luck

7. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Ok. The relearn process didn’t fix it. Still can’t find reverse after driving for about 20 min. Let it cool for an hour and it’s fine again.
    Any other pointer?

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The items that it can be

Accumulator
    Throw out bearing
    Actuator screws being loose
    Just a flush and complete bleed
    A actuator relearn... I think you this already

Using your tool graph pressures during a drive idling and leak ratea..that will help diagonsis

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

9. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I read on another thread about doing the resetting clutch index and self learn after a drive so I went out for a drive again. Guess what? Everything worked perfectly. A short 20 min drive ended up 1 hr 30 min because I couldn’t believe it worked every time.

brogenville, psych0hans and Apollo 11 like this.
  10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Yes that is the correct procedure ..warm up and then do a relearn ..didn't realize you didn't do that the first time

Congratulations ..check your index after a while to make sure you are in a good range

11. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Just to clarify, I didn’t warm it up when I did the self learn. I went out right away after self learn to tested it and it still won’t grab reverse.

I went to here and do more research and this is where I stumble on the other thread. 2 hours later, I went out again planning to warm it up before doing self learn. But it grabbed Reverse every time and I ended up in 1h30m drive. So it fixes itself. LOL. We’ll see if it happens again I will warm it up before do self learn.
    Thanks everyone

12. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    What’s good range on the index?

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Less than 4000

14. Amir Akhtar

Amir Akhtar Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Amir Akhtar
    I have this exact problem ..... how did you perform this resetting clutch index and self learn?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I didn’t. I was about to but before I did everything back to normal.

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    still no reverse at all or only when its cold?

17. Amir Akhtar

Amir Akhtar Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Amir Akhtar
    After 30-40mins of driving ...... Seems to be a hot day and the engine is running very hot ( no abnormal temperature displays though )

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. I keep my 2007 F430 in Traverse City MI and there’s not a Ferrari service location within 3 hours of here. I’m experiencing the very same issue with being unable to get the car into reverse when it’s been driven for a half hour or so. Mine has less than 11K on it so I’m thinking it’s not the clutch. I was hoping to just find a local service person that could follow this thread and use their OBD tool to reset the clutch index. However, I’m not even finding someone willing to do that so I’m thinking of getting a tool myself. The Launch X431 looks like it might be the best choice for me but can anyone help me with where’s the best place to buy one, what accessories might be needed, etc? Thx

19. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    They are available on Amazon and EBay. A couple peeps here thought Amazon might be best because of their great return policy. Everything you need will come with it. You’ll have to register it and update it. Real easy if you have WiFi at your house. It will automatically download the latest version. I update mine each month to make sure I have the latest version.

Normal Guy Supercar on YouTube was a big help when I got my Launch.

PM me if you need help.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AandSC likes this.
  20. Thanks for the reply. My Ferrari is laid up for the winter but in working on getting the tools to fixit