Redesigned Fuse Block | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Redesigned Fuse Block

Discussion in '308/328' started by TurtleFarmer, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P4AntonLM

P4AntonLM Karting

Dec 31, 2007
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Anton Schicho

Hi, I would like a set too!

2. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    if they would work on a 1974 308gt4 i would be interested.

3. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @skipgt4 It's been designed with the intention of supporting all 308's, including the gt4.

The biggest challenge is that I don't have physical access to all the diff't models (only my car, 1979 308 GTS). I have soft copies of the owners manuals for many of the models, including the manual for what I think is a 1974 308gt4--so my confidence in the electrical design is high. My biggest concern is the mechanical fitment, particularly the mounting plate. The design can support many diff't mounting plates, and altho I'm hoping the GTS/GTB/GTSi/GTBi/QV all have the same mounting location, the gt4 location looks diff't from those other models.

If you'd don't mind a bit of "pre-work", I can send you just the mounting plate to check for fitment. If it fits--great! If not, maybe you can help figure out where the mount holes should be located for a gt4.

I'll send you a PM with my email address and we can coordinate, if you're up for it.

BTW, here's a quick snap of the fusebox electrical from the 74 308gt4 owners manual...assume this looks right to the gt4 owners out there. From an electrical design standpoint, the key things are the shorting bars at the top of the fusebox across the diff't fuse circuits as well as the number of connectors coming into the top of the fuse box (these are the two things that vary structurally across all the diff't 308 models).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

waymar likes this.
  4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    A GT4 is mostly a GTB with a different body. So I had a hunch that the fuse boxes would be the same. So to the parts books and....
    Mostly Google translate is letting me down. Or Ferrari is making up words in Italian in the parts books. Maybe both. Probably both.

But the GT4 uses part numbers 40052706 an
    d 40052607 and the GTB/S uses 60278702 and 50181007. So different part numbers. But wait! The 60278702 shows as "This item has been superseded by a new part: 40052607". So it's not as straightforward as I hoped, but it certainly seems like at least one side has the same fuse box for the GT4 and GTB. And also the 512BB.

5. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Physically, I'm assuming that all the 308 "individual" fuse boxes are the same (gt4/GTS/GTB/GTSi/GTBi/QV and 512BB). From my online research, it seems there are three differences that are relevant for this new design:
    - The number of "supply" side wire connections on the two left-most fuses (L1 & L2): In the early 308s (gt4, GTB, GTS) and 512BB there was only a single connector per fuse. In the later 308s (GTBi, GTSi, QV), there were two connectors per fuse. The new design accommodates this difference.
    - The supply connection for L3 (third from left on left box): In the early 308s and 512BB, the L3 supply is shorted to L1 & L2. In the later 308s, L3 is isolated. The new design accommodates this difference.
    - The mounting distance between the left and right fuse boxes: In the everything except the gt4, it *seems* like the distance between the two inner mount points of the two boxes (right most bolt on the left box and leftmost bolt on the right box) is consistent at ~17.9mm. However, at least from the picture in the owner's manual for the gt4, it looks like those two boxes are mounted closer to each other. Since my design combines the original two boxes into a single fuse box, this distance matters. The design is tolerant of some difference (~7-8mm), but this is one of the things I'd like to confirm before sending everything out for production. Also, I've got no idea on the 512BB mounting of those two boxes...something else that needs to be confirmed.

On that last point, a quick graphic to explain it since my words not so good. This is a picture from my 1979 308 GTS (I'd removed one of the bolts in the pic, but it's usually in there....). You can see the distance (17.9mm) I'm talking about in the third bullet above. I believe this distance may be different on the 308gt4 (and maybe the 512BB), but consistent in all the other 308s.

6. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I think the BB has a third, smaller fuse block as well

7. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Actually I think it's the other way around!

derekw, Brian Harper and morcal like this.
  8. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
  9. hrlevy

hrlevy Karting

May 3, 2005
    upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Howard R. Levy
    I'm in for a US 75 GT4.
    Why not make the pcb splitable into 2 pieces for a GT4?
    1/2 for each fuse holder mounted by the 2 original mounting screws.

absostone likes this.
  10. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    If you want to borrow my '81 GTBi blocks for research, I can make arrangements.

11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I will measure the mounting holes on my GT4 this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

12. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    It would definitely be helpful to get some measurements from folks (particularly an example from a GT4, GTxi, QV, and 512BB).

NOTE: Remember that the mounting plate is chassis ground and at least some of the connections are +12V. If you use calipers or any other metal measuring device, I would recommend you disconnect your battery.

Here's are the specific measures that would help (@kiwiokie & @Jonny Law & any others).
    - Distance from "inner" mount holes between the two boxes (red circle in picture below)
    - Height from back mounting plate to top of fuse box cover (blue circle in picture below)
    - Total available width in the fuse box area (green arrow in picture below...looking for total avail width, not just the distance occupied by the boxes)

Thanks!

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Jason. I have a GT4 original Block that burnt at the fuel pump fuse. If you want the sizes LMK. I think its the white one.

14. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    absostone likes this.
  15. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @kiwiokie Thank you so much!

Based on your measurements, it appears there's no difference in mounting between the GT4 and the GTB/GTS. That's great as it reduces the part count to support all the diff't 308s.

It would still be helpful if someone out there with a QV and a 512BB would measure, but I'm fairly confident that those will be same dimensions. I'm going to open up the thru holes on the circuit board slightly just in case, but it's looking really good.

Last thing that'd be helpful....can someone measure the height of the fuse block with the fuse cover on it? ( @absostone ?). I'm still thinking to design a fuse cover, but would like to know how much height the entire assembly took in the original. The new design is already higher than the original block itself, so not sure if there's a lot of room to stay in the same dimensions.

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ill try check that height

17. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Here you go...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N920I using FerrariChat.com mobile app

absostone likes this.
  18. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Patrick,
    Thanks so much! At 35mm for the original fuseblock+cover stackup, it's going to be difficult to design a cover for the new design that stays under that height. But we'll see what we come up with. Good news is that there's no safety/electrical need for a cover--but it would help finish out the look and provide a location for stickers.

We should have enough info across the models to move forward. Would be great to get dimensions on a GT*i, QV and 512BB, but hopefully those all match the mount locations for the GTB/GTS and GT4.

Thanks all and will let you know on progress over the coming weeks.

One quick question for the folks here: room to include some derivative graphics, but not sure just how much our parent company frowns on this. I've noticed that Fchat doesn't have any derivative logo's, but Ftalk does. I like the look, but interested in thoughts (snapshot below of the proposed graphics)....

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Putting Ferrari imagery on the product will almost certainly lead to interaction with Ferrari's law firm.

20. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Or worse with a beefy guy name Guido...

Banzairacer and absostone like this.
  21. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Count me in for a look see have an 85 GTSi that were sorting out fuel pump relay issues with.

I've also been looking at some LED behind the grill lights to enhance any potential evening driving and a couple of extra fuses would be great.
    The existing lights on the 3x8 are adequate, but if you're use to driving anything recent its a far cry from LED and projectors.
    Not disturbing the beauty of the grill work on a US car is an imperative.
    I know that folks have switched out the headlamps for differing versions - just trying something different. two 7 inch LED bars mounted retrograde to the grill should do the job and have them independently switched from the headlight switch is ideal. might anger the cops - hey it's a small price.I had done this on my RX7 3rd gen and it was amazing.

22. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Interested in US 308GTSi 1982

23. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Any update on the new Fuse Blocks ?

24. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Sorry for the delay :) They're currently in assembly. The tooling jigs for holding all the thru hole components during assembly are still being built, so we've been waiting on them to complete.

I'm hoping to send out completed pictures of first articles mid-next week!

absostone likes this.
  25. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I haven’t heard from you since first contact.
    Am still interested in QV version.
    Thanks