5th oil change on the 348 | FerrariChat

5th oil change on the 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by blue90, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's hard to believe Ferrari 348 ownership has spanned 6 years. After the first major on purchase I started doing all maintenance myself in the garage thanks to this group. Everything you need to know is here, thanks so much! In the past I have used redline 10w40 which has worked out great.

This year like a moron being distracted by so many things because of a new ls3 project car and virus brain phenomenon I bought 5w30 redline by accident. The only difference is the oil temp is 10f degrees higher when laying into the pedal, it flows a lot better but the cam seals eject it just a little more to the garage floor. Lesson learned. I really think 5w 45 is what this oldie needs so I will try this concoction out as I am always interested in what it takes to maintain on my own by what I want in it.

What's really cool is the spark plugs I use are Accel with a custom 90 degree bent electrode on the top that have been in use for 6 years without any issues. I did pull one and it looked lightly used after 10k miles. These worked a lot better than platinums but results are probably in the eye of the beholder.

After getting the mafs rebuilt I have never really had any issues with slow or cel lights. The older ones were problematic and it has been an amazing experience maintaining the 348 where after 1 hour of driving the vehicle just comes alive with a sound of unison. This is one of the main amazements of the 348 beyond the tight manual steering it sorta changes it's attitude after longer drives I can't explain more but those who know really know this.
    Have a great time cruising around as I have in the beauty 348, looks, cruiser performance and soundesque attitude.

Dave

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bjwhite, steved033 and Qavion like this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Where in NJ are you? I am central.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001