Out of ideas | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Out of ideas

Discussion in '348/355' started by cactussed, Apr 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Well, I would say that at the end of anything I"ve worked on, never had doubt on cam timing.

If tests result in you questioning cam timing, the solution may be found there.

2. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    You say it gets worse when it goes into closed loop, have the oxygen sensors been replaced recently or damaged?

What makes you think it is cam timing?

Have you checked spark on each cylinder, maybe it is part on the electrical system breaking down when hot?

Are the vacuum hoses ok with no splits or leaks or blockages?

3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I second checking for cam timing. Are you sure it's correct?

also, when running use one of those laser thermometers to check the temperature at each exhaust port, right at the base of the header. Example, If you're getting 300 degrees on seven and of them, but one only shows a hundred degrees. That will show your problem.

cactussed likes this.
  4. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    Would a shagged O2 sensor throw an error code?

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, it could throw a O2 sensor heater inop code, slow signal code, non-signal code, or some other O2 sensor code.

6. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    Just a small update.
    I gave up chasing my tail and pulled the engine. Again.

I double check and found the timing is spot on.
    I also found that I must've pinched the fuel breather hose somewhere sufficiently to break the pipe. So, I've effectively been running with an air leak into both plenums. I just couldn't easily see it with the engine in situ...

As its a hard plastic line, I'm guessing there's a fair amount of vacuum running through it, so I've ordered a replacement which I shall then fit and re-install the engine (hopefully next week).

Thanks to everyone who has helped with input and advice. Hopefully this should sort it out....

Bloody cars!

7. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Hence my response. Intake manifold leak!!!!. The issue was definitely a leak related issue. Glad you found the problem. Sad you had to pull the eng.

8. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    Yup, good shout. What threw me was that unplugging all the plenum hoses one by one made no difference. It never occurred to me the break / leak would be elsewhere in the pipe...

And as always, I find every day is a school day.

NYC Fred, Ferrarium and emac like this.
  9. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Looking back that could may well have been the answer you needed. It made no difference! These cars are made to test us. By geez I have had my fair share of gremlins. Mine hase been fault free for quite a while now but just don't get time to drive it. Hence the reason it's on the market.

cactussed likes this.
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's awesome you found it. How it arrived at a "timing problem" is mystery. The good news is pulling it allowed you to see the issue so all's well that ends well!

A good tip is to spray starter fluid here and there and see if it changes, it's a great way to find a leak like that as the leak will suck it up and you'll hear idle surge etc.

Now go enjoy!:)

cactussed and Beetle like this.
  11. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    I gotta put it back together first! ;)

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name: