Question about 348 Exhaust Shield??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Question about 348 Exhaust Shield???

Discussion in '348/355' started by GQ IMAGE, May 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    How the HELL did you find out the inside of your rear bumper was peeling???? I can't even get underneath mine!

2. GQ IMAGE

GQ IMAGE Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    GQ IMAGE
    Tommo348, those are some great pictures of your engine, and a awesome view of that bad ass Tubi, like it should be seen for everyone to gaze at. I have a question? How do you keep your engine so clean? It looks awesome also.

3. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Well, with a bit of riving and yanking (technical term), I managed to get the bottom section of broken heat shield out as I couldn't find a right size spanner to free the bolts for the top section. But before I set to it with the adjustable wrench I realised that the top front section holds the air hoses in place, with I notice you have left on Tommo... however, this section seems to be attached to the top rear section by a bracket. When you unbolt it all does the front section bolt straight back onto something once the rear section is removed... or does it rely on the rear section for an anchorage point?

4. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Cheers for the comments - the car just came with a clean engine, I've driven about 4500 miles in the last 12 months, but the car seems to remain clean!! Its been driven in the rain, but I haven't really cleaned the engine bay - must be a unique design for the 348 series.

As for the Tubi - its a seriously loud bit of kit. Kids hear the car coming about 100miles away. I guess that's because of the decats:)

5. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Al

the front rear section is self supporting, 2 brackets either side, so there's no reason why the front rear shield would collapse without the support of the rear rear shield

should be okay, that's unless your car has any special upgrades being a Spider

6. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    ah... i know the exhaust brackets are certainly different on the Spider, don't know if this effects the heat shield brackets or not though.

7. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Al - shouldn't do, because the heatshields don't fit on the exhaust brackets - check out ebay, stainless steel heatshields just submitted - currently at 57 euros - germany I think

8. GQ IMAGE

GQ IMAGE Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    GQ IMAGE
  9. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Looks or no looks, my pics look just like Tommo and I would love to have the rear heat shield. Where can I find an original?

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Your profile doesn't say what part of the world you're in, and you didn't mention which model 348 needs a heat shield (there are a few differences depending on OE exhaust systems).

But anyway...

Ferrari Part # 63632900:

https://www.ital-spares.com/brand/ferrari/3160/heat-shield-for-exhaust/abschirmung-fuer-auspuff?c=68

Applicable to:

Item # 3 https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348/exhaust-system-not-for-usa-cdn-ch-aus.html
    Item # 60 https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348-1989-1992/exhaust-system-valid-for-catalytic-vehicles-not-for-usa-spyder.html

However, the part number for the U.S. spec cars is 63547900, which seems to be applicable to most. So the one for sale (above - 63632900) might fit other 348 variants as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348-1989-1992/exhaust-system-valid-for-catalytic-vehicles-not-for-usa-spyder/63547900-shield-bumper.html

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #36 Ferrarium, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Thanks Wade. I never knew the cars had that. I always thought it was odd the muffler was so close to the bumper. I sure don't have that one but have the other 2. I bet it often does not get put back on for various reasons like the batter cover.

Something is off there I think with the part numbers... the part "63632900" does not look like the others or the diagram, it is a flat shield with no ears for a rim bumper what ever that is. The shield is not for USA,CDN,CH,AUS or USA Spyder. I tried to buy one today. The parts diagram shows the same part but I believe it is actually different. Here it is. Or so the parts department tells me.

That one for sale at ital-spares above is gone already. Wonder who got it.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hi Eric, 63632900 comes up at Ricambi as the rear-most shield and the same as the one that was for sale.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/63632900-paratia-tra-silenz-scarico-e-paraur.html

I meant to get a copies of the shield photo at the ital-spares site but snoozed...

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    LOL. All these numbers. ;)

Here's their current listing for 63632900. Cheap too!

https://www.ital-spares.com/brand/ferrari/3211/heat-shield-for-exhaust/abschirmung-fuer-auspuff

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have the top 2 but never even knew about the 3rd bumper guard shield it makes total sense. The thought of the exhaust in stopped traffic in the summer cooking my bumper just sucks.I can't stand for that so I'll upload a picture when I get the one from Italia-Spares.;)

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ahhh yes more anti tail light melting devices, I saw those on a post a few weeks ago and I ran out and checked, I have those. I was only missing the rear muffler/bumper version.

18. tommygunct

tommygunct Karting

Dec 26, 2012
    Stuart florida
    I have had my car over 10 years the first thing I did when I got my car the first week was rip out that ugly disgusting sounding exhaust and those stupid heat shields and put my own custom-made exhaust on it got rid of the cats and went straight pipes to a collector and out the back I've never had any problems with my tail lights I've never had anything melt and I drive my car I'll get in my car and drive my car straight for for 5 hours without a problem never change the taillight no way I'm lying I changed one bulb and never had anything melt or any other problems but I'm not speaking for everybody and just speak for myself