Put up or shut up: Pista Standing Mile | FerrariChat

Put up or shut up: Pista Standing Mile

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, Apr 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    As a part of the event where I experimented with the terminal velocity of my stupendous Pista, we also had the chance to run the measured mile from a standing start. Because I was so focused on the longer runs, I didn't pay much attention to the mile, and only made one run. However, now that I have seen this video of that one run, I'm pretty dang impressed with the result.

It might be interesting to consider that I didn't use launch; I think that if I had, we might have seen a standing mile speed closer to 200 mph. The Pista is truly a remarkable car. Hard to argue with real-world numbers like these...Forza Ferrari.

watch

2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Excellent! The shifts seemed harsh and seemed you were bouncing around a little bit. I agree you’d have hit 200 mph with LC and slightly better DA. It’s amazing how a 720S and Pista are so near identical in acceleration.

3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Thanks for the video great result! I love the gold wheels too.

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Sounds much better inside the cabin.

5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The standard 488's are blisteringly fast..... The 488 Pista is IMHO the prettiest and best performing F-car ever!!! Long live the 488.....(;-))

JohnTz, Viperjoe and mdrums like this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Awesome...I just got locked into the Johnny Bomher You Tube Channel for the last hour!....LOL I have done thousands of laps at Sebring, Homestead, Daytona, Barber...and so forth...but I would love to do a 2.7 Mile top speed run someday.

Who holds these Top Speed events and how would I attend one? Thanks!

7. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    With LC standard 488 not only jump from higher revs, it open exhaust valves on idle, shift gear faster and later, and I believe give little more boost. As result, in LC mode it noticeable faster. So let’s try it next time, and maybe we’ll see even better numbers.

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    That's not my experience with any LC. It will shift automatically for you but the main intention is not to increase speed but to decrease ET. The trap speed is all horsepower so I don't think you would be going any faster at the end. You might get there sooner and maybe a little slower using LC. In the quarter mile a slower 1st 60 ft time tends to yield a higher trap speed. My best quarters in ET were always slower on the trap speed but my fastest trap speeds were always one or two tenths longer ET.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  9. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    That is fascinating and it rings true with me...funny how sometimes things can be so counterintuitive. Case in point: I had my twin turbo Ford GT at the same venue. I performed a super soft launch. Trap speed at the end of the mile was 202 mph. The GT put down about 1000 hp, which explains the higher trap speed with an even softer launch than I performed in the Pista.

wrs likes this.
  10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I am just over in Tampa and would love to drive over for the next event.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  11. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    You won't regret it! Fantastic experience all the way around.

mdrums likes this.
  12. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    How much road is needed for a safe launch control in my 2019 488 spider?

13. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    First, you'll need a safe place where you can come to a complete stop. Second, I would feel spooky about doing it with ANY form of traffic around, especially oncoming, if for no other reason than it may startle or distract you or them. Third, a nice strait, smooth piece of pavement of at least 1/4 mile would also be helpful. It's not particularly dangerous, by the way. But it is a bit violent :)

14. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Thank you-very helpful.The 1/4 mile distance is what I needed to figure on.

15. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Find a massive church parking lot it will be empty other than Sunday or Wednesday

16. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Well I already have the perfect spot, entrance ramp to highway with a long straightaway.I'll make an early morning dry run to check for cops -exit and come back and give it a go.Same spot I used before on other cars.-Also, being I'm not a church goer It'll be a real sacrilege to go to church for just testing my 488 LC.-LOL.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Drive around out in the country and find a road with no traffic. I have a road that is basically a deadend on each end and the roads that it deadend into are ones with only a farm or two for several miles. That stretch is about 3/4 mile so I can run a 1/4 mile but it's too dangerous for 1/2 mile as there isn't enough stopping room. I go out there to test my cars in the 1/4 and for LC practice, etc. I tested out the 488 LC out there but didn't try very hard to improve on my 1/4 mile times.

I am going to take the 812 out there today. I don't know if I will do any testing but I am just going to check the road out. Here are my vbox results from the 488.

The 60ft time is crummy and that indicates to me that LC isn't so great on Ferrari. It was better on my 991tts, I could get 1.7s all day and when I had good traction it was more like 1.5s but plenty of people were getting 1.4s and lower.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

PaganiHuyara likes this.
  18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Nope, that's just the increased traction that AWD affords.

19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Maybe, but I don't think so. I didn't feel much difference in the standing start and the LC start on the 488 but I also didn't work with it as much as I did with the 991tts. I also didn't try the LC in ESC mode which I am told would have performed better. I was in RACE. One thing I have noticed on the Ferrari LC is that it doesn't rev very high before it engages. The 991tts went to 5500 rpm before releasing, Ferrari only gets to about 3k.

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Simple physics sir. The traction afforded by the AWD system makes traction control interventions much less imperative. Two wheel drive cars have to constantly manage (i.e. cut) the power delivery in order to maintain the optimal slip angle (about 20% wheel-spin), whereas the 4/All wheel drive cars don't need to. Beyond the threshold of traction, the 2WD vehicles hold the weight and reduced losses advantage.

21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well I just went out in my 812 and ran some quarter mile tests out in the middle of nowhere, Texas. The 60ft time on the non-LC launch was the same as the first with LC (1.95s) and the third with LC was 1.99s. In the second launch I used ESC off and shifted manually but I brake boosted. If you use LC it shifts for you and I think that's all it really does on the Ferrari. I had a friend take a video of the car from behind on the third run with LC. There is no obvious traction loss but you can see the car hesitate. I need to go back out and try to run some with TC off and see if I can manage the traction better than LC does. I thought with the 315s on the 812 I would get a better 60ft time but it's about the same as the 488 which had 305s.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mdrums and REALZEUS like this.
  22. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    So then, what's the most efficient LC mode -Race and ESC off? -if not - what?

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    A 10.8 1/4 at 136 is crazy quick for a 1.95.

wrs likes this.
  24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    the big mod that would help you is tires, honestly. Knock you down .3 of a second easy.

25. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    LC wouldn't work in ESC OFF, I had to shift it with ESC OFF so I think the only option is to try TC OFF and manage the throttle on my own. I was never able to do a good job with my M5 but I have to believe with 315s on the back I can do better. It should provide me with some entertainment to go practice launches.

Obviously it can be done because they say the 0-60 time is 2.8s but mine was 3.1s with a 1ft rollout. So I have to develop less of a lead footj using TC OFF. I would like to get 2.8 on 0-60 and 10.5 in the 1/4. The 60-130 was damn fast at 6.7s.