Source for a shift boot for manual | FerrariChat

Source for a shift boot for manual

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bjwhite, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Anyone know of a good source for a shift boot for a manual car? Needed in black. Mine has a slight tear in it hence I'd like to replace it. (and yes I will try Eurospares, but part of me wouldn't mind a used one with a tad bit of patina.)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    If you don't mind patina, why not fix it?

I've got an old chesterfield that I just patch from time to time. You basically apply a piece of cloth with soft glue (neoprene) on the underside. Once this patch is glued under the crack(s), you apply on the upper-side a heavy coat of leather dye to smooth out the remaining defects. If you want to further hide the cracks, there are some fillers that do work very well.

As a last resort a cobbler (not sure this is the appropriate word) has all the required material and tools. For such a small fix, it may be cheaper to let him do the job, rather than purchasing the leather dye.

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hmm, well an interesting suggestion. I figured with that straight rip that it would be toast, but maybe yeah it can be repaired? Other than that one rip, it actually looks fine.

Hmmm. Appreciate the suggestion!

4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    I guess your crack is there because leather has dried out and therefor cracked. Make sure you treat it with leather oil before mending it. There are special leather oils that the dried out leather will absorb until fed enough. Used it to revive the leather of my Gte before we restored it. Looks and feels like only some years old, not 60!
    Worth it keeping old leather and restoring it. To fill the crack after gluing support from the backside there is something called liquid leather. If sprayed afterwards it will be invisible.

BR
    Chris