Pista Exhaust Upgrade | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Pista Exhaust Upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. will89

will89 Karting

Dec 29, 2013
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Will
    This is more true for older engines. They say it as disclaimer but most sports model you can give the full beans pretty much from the start. There are plenty of customers that get their cars delivered to a track from day 1.
    Mine arrives in a month and I def won't wait for 1kms to open it up ;)

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Some ignore the recommended run in but I prefer to follow it in the event something goes wrong. I put ks on anyway plus time goes quickly.

3. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    Even the Pista's manual strictly recommends the 1000km below 5000rpm. IF anything happens before that, they will find out how high you revel it through the software anyways.

It is a myth that the engines are run in before handing them out for delivery. The cars take one single trip around the factory to spot any loose or vibrating parts. Thats it.

gzachary and Shadowfax like this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It's much the same with Gt2 and 3. Sure the engine can take it but if you want the best out of it the engineers have already done enough testing during the course of development so they know which method gives the best outcome. But owners are always free to reinvent their own wheel and if things go pear shaped the warranty department has the plug diagnostic tool which tells all.

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No it's not. Every engine runs on the dyno for about an hour and a half, reaching maximum revs and validating its performance numbers, before being mounted to the car. Also, they take them for a quick spin, not a proper braking in run obviously. The 5000 RPM recommendation is just an additional precaution.

gzachary likes this.
  6. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    So if you replaced just the rear exhaust unit, and not the cats or pipes, will the Pista see much benefit? Has anyone done this?

7. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Makes sense. I had to bed my brakes a bit post-delivery.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #83 Shadowfax, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    I was advised by a highly respected exhaust manufacturer who makes aftermarket systems for the Pista that changing the muffler would give only a very slight bump and be mainly tonal as the Pista's muffler has virtually no attenuation in it as it is. He said any gain in volume would come from changing the stock cats out an putting the 200 cel sports cats on along with their muffler as a full system. Personally I'm sure a new inconel muffler would have to do something by way of providing a slight change in tone as the Pista's muffler is stainless and not inconel as Ferrari deceptively claimed - as we all now know only the dress exhaust tips and engine headers are inconel. But the aftermarket inconel muffler is unlikely to make it louder because when the valves open up the system is bi passing the muffler anyway. So I get where the maker is coming from in saying that changing of the cats is key if you want more volume from this car.

That all said i'd also be keen to hear from someone who has just changed out the muffler to see if it does anything worthwhile for the car when its driving at light throttle with the valves closed because I think anything no matter how slight would be better than how it is with the valves in closed position. But it comes down to whether the fairly high cost to change the muffler for inconel would be worth the result. This could be the problem. Cost and barely any change. Maybe this is why the manufacturers haven't made a vid demonstrating the differences with just the muffler changed out. Anyway, I'd love for someone to be a guinea pig on this one.

PS if any manufacturer wants to sell me their muffler at a reduced price I will be the guinea pig again.

9. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Right, there seems to be a major before/after video omission in this case. I’m interested in the Novitec Inconel (if you’re going to do it, do it right). I’d get the valved version, but not sure if there’s much difference with just the muffler swapped. I’ll keep digging and see what I come up with. Also interested in Tubi with their long history making Ferrari exhausts. That being said, the Pista hasn’t arrived quite yet, so I’ll want some time in it before I figure out what I want from it.

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Keep us posted if you come across anyone who has changed muffler only. I prefer the valved as I would like to keep the ecu controlling the valves during high performance driving. I like do the look of the novi but tbh my favored system at this stage is the Kline as its inconel and much better priced and looks better. Either would be very good imo. I'm tempted to pull to the trigger on the full system but am a little wary about changing the cats as I really don't want to be dealing with CEL's on a long drive out in the wild which I usually do a number of as well as the track.

johnr265 likes this.
  11. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    So after taking delivery of the Pista yesterday, and my God it is beautiful, I finally got to experience the sound that it makes. To my surprise, it was louder than what I expected, even low in the rev range. Mind you, driving 20 miles home is not the best way to know what you want, but after getting home what I was longing for was a higher pitch overall. I’ll do more driving this weekend, and push it a little harder on Sunday, but will the mufflers do anything for the tone range of the sound? Higher frequencies, not necessarily higher decibels. Wish there was an X pipe to help with this.

johnr265 likes this.
  12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Lagunae92...post some photos! As far as a higher pitch note to the Pista you are not going to get that like older N/A Ferrari's had. There are some exhausts that sort of pitch tune some with pipe length and diameter but from what I have heard the overall base note is not really changed. The engine size, rpm, exhaust manifold size, turbo size are what they are. A 488/Pista/F8 will not have that older Ferrari "scream/wail" sound.

13. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
  14. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    2k8SB likes this.
  15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Indeed. A nice boutique feel instead of a large dealership.

sampelligrino and 2k8SB like this.
  16. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal

this might be the best before/after representation I've heard...

Caeruleus11 and Shadowfax like this.
  17. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Does ANYBODY have a Novitec or Kline exhuast on the Pista? There are so few videos, but I know they are out there!

18. GoHardGT3RS

GoHardGT3RS Karting

Jan 1, 2015
    Germany
    Have CAPRISTO valve controller installed, it makes a huge difference in the driving experience at low revs.

I have it on my Pista and I love it!

Nothing more needed in terms of exhaust change to enjoy raw Pista sound!

uhn2000, Lagunae92 and Shadowfax like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Nice find Laguna92!

Lagunae92 likes this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Absolutely! I seriously can't imagine owning a Pista without it. Beforehand it was clearly missing something.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  21. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I have cats and exhaust on order but won't probably get around to installing for another month or two. I too would be interested in hearing/seeing videos. It is amazing how few there are.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  22. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    What did you get?

23. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I ordered Kline. I have full Novitec on my Lusso and I love it, just not sure it’s worth double the cost over Kline.

24. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Thanks for this! I didn't know the muffler was stainless. Do you know who and how this was confirmed?

25. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Is your Lusso the V8 or 12? Just curious as to the Novitec on a turbo car or NA. Between the two promo videos videos, I prefer the Kline. Just has a less dispersed sound center to me, but I'm looking for real world experience. You MUST let us know how the Kline is once installed=-)