Fog light problem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fog light problem

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Oct 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Bill,
    So its 92% possibility the negative is wrong ! :p And if you ever have problems with the fuseboard, you know where to find a new one !
    Guido

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Same for the front fogs; it's a legal requirement.

3. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    That's the daytime flash lights function.

The indicator light is on because you have pushed the switch, not because anything else happened, or not.

So they aren't wired up, or there is a break in the connection.

Correct. Basically.

In some countries in Europe, the cars were delivered with daytime flash lights in the location of the front fog lights (different optics: fog = low and wide and often yellow, daytime flash = long and narrow and white).
    In principle those are another set of stalk-pull operated high-beams that only are functional when the pop-ups are down, so that you still have daylight flasher function.
    In foggy countries, fog lights were fitted and would function as daytime flashers via the stalk and as fog lights with the low beams on and the panel switch pressed.
    In that case, there are 2 wires going to the lights, one from the stalk via the daylight flasher relay and the other one via the fog light switch.

jelliott and theunissenguido like this.
  4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    No, it's not. It's a very pragmatic solution to the daylight flasher issue with pop-up headlights.

WE don't have. Your car may have. But it's not related to the circuit design. It's related mostly to
    - age (bad power connections/lack of proper grounding/deteriorated wires, relays, electric board pcbs)
    - aftermarket additions (improperly installed and/0r overloading a specific circuit = basically hacking into stuff that otherwise works)
    - modifications of the original circuit to isolate (and maybe by-pass) a non-functioning original item.

All I can suggest is to remove all non original stuff and get back to how it should be.
    Then check ALL ground connections.
    If you modify ANYTHING, make sure it's professionally done.

I have removed that from my car after I got it:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Et voilà, stuff worked. As a preventive measure, I installed Guido's properly constructed electric board and have done 150'000km with it, without any electrical trouble.

theunissenguido and MvT like this.
  5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Someone asked for a copy of the complete car wiring diagrams but i cannot find the post

6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    "Someone" can PM me if interested in a colorful QV diagram :D

7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  8. 89mondial t coupe

Mar 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Shane kempton
    I had same exact problem with my 89 mondial t.
    You were exactly right. The wire hanging with the protective plastic cover I removed cover and wires a wire from there to the grey wire on the backside of drivers side foglight and boom. Worked with the switch. Both lights on one wire.
    Been chasing relays for weeks and found this thread extremely helpful. Thanx guys.

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    How did you connect wire with the cover to the backside of the foglight, is is plug and play or did you splice into the grey wire? Might try the new set up myself.

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    So I want to change the wire connection for the fog lamp from flash when pulling the stalk when the headlamps are down, to work with the fog lamp switch instead. The picture shows the wiring, the "blanked" off wire on the left is a male spade connection that was inside the plastic cover. Where exactly does this connect? The connection next to it is the one for the fog lamp, but that connector has two female connectors inside. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    blue/black - black: lh blinker repeater

yellow/black - black: lh parking light
    blue/black - black: lh blinker

pink/black: fog light feed from switch

12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    But what do I connect the pink wire to, is it not plug and play?

The two wire connector next to it is what connects to the fog lamp. The blue wire actuates with the highbeam stalk when the headlights are down. I would have just removed the blue wire from the plastic, and substituted the pink wire, but that would replace the blue female with the pink male, which makes no sense for the plug and play, which the factory must have intended for wiring the different markets easily.

13. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    No it's not plug'n'play.

You need to "Y-join" init to the blue/black daylight flasher plug so they both connect to the same lead towards the bulb.

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    So the flash to pass will still function, but also the fog light switch will too? That would be ideal. I thought it was one or the other.

15. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Yep both will work - the fog light as a flasher when you pull the daylight flasher stalk while the headlights are down (in which case the fog lights are deactivated anyway), and the high beams while the headlights are up.
    The fog light only works with low beams on, the will turn off when you store the pop-ups or use high beams (because you wouldn't see anything in fog anyway = if you use high beams, there is no fog)

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Thank you for clarifying this, old threads suggested one could switch the functions, rather than double them up. I thought the factory would have had plug and play wiring so they could equip for different markets.

17. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    One last question, would you knwo the guage of this wire? I'm guessing 16? I may special order some waterproof type of splice connectors.

18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Cars up to the quattrovalvole were wired up combined.
    There must have been a legal reason re the use of fog lights as temporary daylight flashers in some markets for Ferrari to abandon the connection .

19. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Interesting, thank you for the perspectives.

20. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Most welcome.