488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 35 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree but then it’s just the same 40 of us posting here with no new views. Imagine how P&R section would be....oh wait, it is already with homers.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    A model which can still hold buyers to msrp in this market is in very good shape and indicative it should remain that way for time to come.

The same can’t be said for the mainstream models where bloodbaths have become the norm for a while now and only stand to worsen as volumes increase.

If you can find a Pista in the desired spec or close enough too then i cant see issue in paying the price. Why wait for a drop that may likely not happen. I think its only cars with a very mismatched spec such as the one being discussed that would have any chance of price negotiation.

PTG1 and Gh21631 like this.
  3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Sent from my 16M

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    You mother trucker!
    I need to catch up ....

Sent from my 16M

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Frankly i can’t imagine why anyone with a Pista would even consider selling it unless they couldn’t really afford it to begin with (speculators or owners who have gone bad financially).

6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I think the affordability factor is probably the least of all potential factors. I posted this in response to someone pissing on a classified ad. It’s relevant to this discussion.

Any number of reasons why someone might sell a car under the circumstances you described:

1). It does not meet expectations.
    2). They have multiple other cars and it’s not getting sufficient seat time.
    3). The look at the aggregate dollars and decide they would rather have 2 or 3 cool cars for the same money.
    4). They are trading up for a grail car.
    5). They have a business opportunity worth pursuing.
    6). They like rotating in and out of cars. Plus, acquiring is much of the fun.

Personally, I tried hard to secure an allocation, but being low on the food chain, I was not given one. I thought about buying one in the secondary market, but then decided for the same money I could accomplish two cool cars. I already got one of the two I targeted, a 2005 Ford GT. I was deciding between a 675LT, 991 GT2RS, and a 2017 Viper ACR when CV19 put me on the sideline.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Affordability and the ability to hold are clearly the main 2 reasons. One only need read most of the posts surrounding those seeking a bargain or those who chose another model because it was cheaper.

In all the cases you have listed they are all money based at one point with exception to your #1. but even that point fails the money test when you consider if money wasn’t an issue then why sell it anyway.

8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I guess the reason to sell a Ferrari at any point in time is not always about money. For example, running out of parking space, and the wife is fed up that her car must be parked outside. If you have three Ferraris in a three car garage home, selling two to upgrade to another LE car, and giving one space to wife will also make sense.

Of course, one would argue that why don't you buy a 6 car garage house to begin with, and the argument would then be cyclical. So to noone1 point when he said people who need to sell Ferrari now f'ed up and was not able to afford one to begin with is actually very narrow minded but fit the thinking mode of those who never really play the game of exotics before. On the side note, there are people who really are rich enough to just prefer the process of buying and selling to the actual driving them.

And since no one is able to tell the future, why are we putting down those do need to sell for financial reason? no shame about that at all. Lose 1 million today, make 10 later. Chin up always.

9. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Huh? Not everyone is a hoarder.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    f40 alone is worth 10K posts!!!

tekaefixe and plastique999 like this.
  11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #861 noone1, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Yet you completely ignore the pandemic pricing part of it. I did not say people who need to sell a Ferrari ****ed up, I said people who need to sell one as quick as possible at a low price ****ed up. That has nothing to do with people who are just listing cars for sale that they don't want anymore or have space for and letting them sit on the market for months at normal or high prices.

There is never a need to sell a Ferrari in a fire sale unless you really are in need of cash. There are many easy ways to get an unwanted exotic out of your garage if you just don't have the space for it or something and also don't want to just give it away. If you're taking delivery of something new, trade it and save on the sales tax (sometimes), or consign it, or park it on the street, or stick it in storage that many dealers offer.

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why keep something you don't want? I'd say at the prices we're talking about, selling something that's tying up hundreds of thousands of dollars in something you literally don't want is not because you need the cash, but because it's pretty dumb to keep that much cash into a car you don't like/want. Most people aren't collectors.

13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I understand what you are saying, but I will respectfully disagree. I think you are missing the point I made. Money will always be a part of the decision making calculus as there is always an inherent cost, but for many (most Pista buyers?), money is the least of it. Someone can have F U money, and still fit nicely into everyone of my examples. Affordability and choosing to allocate resources efficiently are not necessarily synonymous.

Napoli likes this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I do not see a Pista in my future. The F8 will arrive prior to the end of summer with the 765 around the beginning of the new year. During that period, I am certain I will get the opportunity to drive the Pista which in all likelihood will prove more satisfying than the F8. However, I am confident that the 765 will be the car that I have been longing for and the only one that will be a keeper. We shall see.

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #865 Shadowfax, Apr 25, 2020
    We'll be hearing the same thing here on fchat 30 years from now about Pista. You only need look at what Ferrari has coming out to know ICE is over and Pista is a big part of the last of it. Pista IS F40's final tribute.

Shack and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #866 Shadowfax, Apr 25, 2020
    '
    It's not a matter of keeping something you don't want. I mean seriously who doesn't want a Pista - arguably the best looking, best performing Ferrari they've made to date. And if you've REALLY got the money you won't think it's dumb at all.

@F40-R is a collector here on Fchat and he doesn't think it's dumb. He's bought 3 of them. Just look at HIS car collection!

Noone all you need to do is buy A car and lose the skateboard.

Ash Patel, IloveGT and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    this question has been discussed many times but given all your posts on the subject and your desire for an edgy, involving experience the 765LT seems to fit the bill. Why buy an F8 over a used someone else while you wait for the LT?

Shadowfax likes this.
  18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Like I said, not everyone is collector (most aren't) and even collectors don't want everything. Seinfeld sold like 20 rare Porsches a few years back. Do you really think he can't afford the keep them or to build another garage?

Some people just don't want to keep everything they can theoretically afford to keep. I imagine a lot of people, especially collectors, don't think even a Pista is a long-term keeper. In fact, didn't someone in this thread already sell theirs because it didn't really do it for them?

19. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    The Pista is a great car, it’s my current favourite supercar and I’d take it over any McLaren, Lamborghini, Porsche etc...

I do have an F8 on order which should be delivered sometime soon, however that’ll be used for more day to day runs.

Avia11, Gh21631 and Shadowfax like this.
  20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Second deposit made in Jan. Build confirmed. Cannot get out of it. Commitment made. I still think the F8 is a great car and a treat for the eyes.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Noone does not own a skateboard but he has watched endless videos on skateboards and is an active member of the skateboard chat forum.

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree that it’s beautiful, I just hope for the financial commitment you can adjust your expectations of the car and enjoy it!

Shadowfax likes this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I will still enjoy it. It is a wonderful car and belongs in a group of super cars that has only a few members.

Shadowfax likes this.
  24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #874 Shadowfax, Apr 25, 2020
    Possibly noone1 drove them crazy and got banned on the skateboard forum, now spending time here licking his wounds in the interim.....whist indulging us all with some expertise on the subject matter.

Ps Coincid F8 is truly a beautiful car. It wont deliver the raw edgy of Pista but still a very nice ride - enjoy! Can't wait to see it.

Coincid likes this.
  25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You’re going to need to do a new video: CS v. Scud v. Speciale v. Pista