F430 P0420 CEL But.... | FerrariChat

F430 P0420 CEL But....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F430Steve, Apr 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430Steve

F430Steve Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    steve de santis
    Hey everyone.

New to this forum & to the Ferrari world but sadly my first post has to be in here asking for advice.

I have a 2007 F430 coupe with 20,000km. It's throwing a code P0420 (read all about the cats issue) and yet the car already has 02 sensor extenders.
    It does have some form of exhaust/header because it definitely doesn't sound stock (and I don't hear any leaks from the headers).

What else can I try? Replace the pre-cat O2's?

Bonus problem...low fuel light randomly pops on...

Just got out of a 2012 R8 V10 Manual with warranty but still no regrets ;)

2. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I put some AP headers on my Ff430. It ran beautifully. After some driving, the O2 sensor extenders would listen up.

I did two things: It is very difficult to completely tighten the passenger-side extender ( mini-cat) with the harness on. So I removed the harness all the way to it's connection to the main harness trunk. (took me three hours). I was able to then completely turn the sensor to tighten up everything. I was then able to tighten the nuts and locknut's completely. I reset the CEL light with a cheapo CEL light tool from Pep Boys.

It drove great for a few hundred miles. Then, the same problem came up again! The extender locknuts had loosened just barely enough to throw the CEL code.

I then tightened the whole mini-cat/ locknuts setup again and got some high-temp muffler sealer. I slathered this on the threads assembly to use as a "high-temp, loc-tite." I went one step further, and got stainless steel wire to to wire the mini-cat assembly tight by doing a figure-8 with the wire around the mini-cat and the exhaust. I twisted the wire until the twisting stress broke of the figure-8 from the spool. Space is tight, this took about an hour to do ( the exhaust patch mud needs to dry overnight). I reset the CEl code. ....the car sounded soooo good!

Unfortunately, after a few hundred miles, the mini-cat assembly loosened up and threw a CEL code.

Exasperated, I went to a muffler shop and had them tack-weld the locknuts and mini-cat. I paid $30 and problem Solved!! If I ever need to remove, I'll just cold chisel off the small tack-weld and everything will dissemble.

Be careful Not to tack-weld to the main CAT Body.

3. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

4. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

If in the SF Bay Area, CA. Kwik-Way muffler service in Santa Clara, on Kiely Blvd. is the place to go. It is is bit tricky bc when u drive in, the entire exhaust will be abt 1500 deg F. So u can drop u car off. Though they did it for me while I waited. They just put on a heat-proof glove, carefully reached in with the holder/welding rod in the limited space and with three taps, it tack welded the parts. It took like 10 seconds to tack weld... seconds...not minutes

5. F430Steve

F430Steve Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    steve de santis
    Thanks guys for the details!

I brought the car to a local shop in the Toronto area and they said the cats have been punched. If that is the case, then its no wonder why the o2's even with the extender is throwing a code.

What do you think the best options are? Replace the nonexistent cats with a high flow one or just remap the ECU so I don't need the O2's. Keep in mind we don't do Emission tests in my area anymore.

Thanks again!

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do the O2 extenders have (genuine) cat material in them, not steel wool? If so, how old are they?

BigDaddiesGarage minicats seem to have a good reputation on FChat. For the sake of the environment and your lungs, however, high flow cats are a good solution. You may even be able to get rid of the extenders.

7. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Some extenders do, some don't.

The Mini-Cats that came with my AP headers for my F430 were be proper, functioning CATS, albeit, with just tiny amounts to fool the sensors.

Qavion likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, I mean to ask if Steve knew if his cats had real cat material

9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I know it's random, but if the issue returns, check the charcoal canister. The last time I took the car to Josh was because the CEL came on, and I think it was the same code. We both assumed it was the extenders, but turned out to be charcoal canister. Tell tale sign also if you have trouble letting the gas pump run at the station (keeps clicking like it's full). Only mentioned it because you said something about issues with your fuel light.

Qavion likes this.
  10. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Canisters will last a long time. Often times it's the hoses, check valves, or tank vent valves. But first check with the dealer as these are emmissions components that may have 7-10 year manufacturer warranties depending on the state.

Though, if it is the canisters, there are some YouTube videos on changing the media on certain Ferrari models...mostly 430s. I have done it on other, older ( non-Ferrari) cars with 250 K miles . It's a hassle, but doable on a weekend.

Qavion likes this.
  11. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed