Mondials For Sale | Page 98 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Just when I think I know everything about 80's Ferrari's I learn something new! Thanks for the informative reply i had never heard about this issue always good to keep learning.

2. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Seemed like a reasonable price for both parties given the current economic/political turmoil and the needs that the car had. Hopefully the new owner will join Fchat and keep the car around here.

What's next Ken? Any projects in the works?

2cam

3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Agreed, I think it was a good deal both ways.

Not sure what’s next. There’s a Touring bodied Flaminia near me I want to look at, but may stand down the rest of 2020 with the weight of the world.

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Glad to say I have not had that experience in my 8+ years of t coupe ownership. Gearbox is firm, 2nd gear synchro when cold a little balky, but clutch shifts beautifully. No other issues to date (hoping my car cannot read this!! ;))

Regards,
    Jerry

5. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's okay on the computer here. But don't talk about it in the garage where she can hear you!!

gsfent likes this.
  6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    SSSHHHH!!!! Ferrari's are sensitive (kind of like Christine) But you are in fact saying good things about your girl:)

7. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Rob, your old ride's headed to Seattle. That's a new state for her!

8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Boy that car gets around better than I do! Did the new owner mention if he or she is going to pop in here or maybe they are already on here?

9. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    LOL

I forgot to ask but I will. Seems like a cool guy.

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'm betting he will, former cars are kind of like kids you like to follow their progress!

19633500GT likes this.
  11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hi Jerry, I think yours was fixed already, which is great to know.

Interesting discussion here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/136886041/

12. jelliott

jelliott Karting

Mar 8, 2010
    Seattle, USA
    Full Name:
    Joe Elliott
    Yep, I (new owner of ZFFXD21A5G0063399) am on here, because I have a Fiat Dino. (And that car is actually the reason why I logged on today, for the first time in like a million years, to remind myself about the modification I wanted to make to the timing chain tensioner before I put that engine back together to get it out of the garage to make room for the Mondial. But I'm easily distracted enough that I clicked on this forum to see what the latest discussion was, and realized that it was about me!)

-Joe

rob and davem like this.
  13. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well then welcome back, Joe. And congratulations on being the new caretaker of the Prugna Princess. She is a well admired girl around here.

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Welcome Joe glad you dropped in. I owned the prugna princess (I gave her that name) in 2012 there was one other owner between myself and Ken. hope you enjoy her!

19633500GT likes this.
  15. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I'm kicking myself for not having bid more aggressively for the prugna princess, but Joe clearly has steelier nerves than me (even for someone who bought his two vintage cars sight unseen, I find the BAT bidding process a bit nerve-wracking). From a distance it looks like one of the best ones out there, if you're willing to do some minor sorting out.

Apropos Mondials, any thoughts on this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Ferrari-Mondial-Quattrovalvole/164161363490?hash=item2638c79e22%3Ag%3ASZ8AAOSwSSBehG%7EF&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C1000%7C2500

Not that I'd every buy from a dealer, much less one who doesn't know anything about the car, but I like the color :)

16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Don't rule out a dealer it all comes down to the car. Personally I want to drive a car before I buy it so I wouldn't say that I never would buy sight unseen but it wouldn't be my first choice I've driven a lot of models of the same car that feel totally different. I would of never bought the prugna princess if I hadn't test driven it. Like I always say I never knew I wanted a Mondial until I drove one.
    The one you posted has been for sale for awhile they recently lowered the price it was previously in the high 30's. There isn't much information about it other than it being a 2 owner car. It has metric wheels so if you don't know already the tires are expensive to replace. A lot of people buy aftermarket rims like superformance which makes rims that look like the ferrari factory originals but take non-metric tires. This one looks like it needs some cosmetic tlc I would be sure to check underneath it for rust for sure. IMO marrone is a really great color in person I'm a big fan of it.

17. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    My previous sight unseen purchases -- a 911 and a BMW 2002 -- turned out to be wonderful cars, but I should be careful, b/c my luck is due to run out. Anyway, unlike you, I have always wanted a Mondial -- always loved the looks. People (like my wife) think I'm crazy, but for me it's an understated version of the 308.

I assume that I'll always pay more with a dealer, but you're right, if it's the right car I shouldn't rule it out. I suspected this one had the original metric rims. And I definitely don't want to deal with rust. I enjoy wrenching on my cars, but structural body work and engine out service are beyond my abilities.

18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Have you driven any Mondials yet? It's a good idea (and fun) to drive different cars and get a feel.

19633500GT likes this.
  19. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I’ve had two but never drove one before buying my first. I wish I had, it was a 1982 8 and I did not enjoy it nearly as much as the 3.2 (which was more enjoyable to me than both my 308 GTS and 308 GT4)

there will be another in the future and it won’t be red :)

20. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    No, never -- I'm completely new to the Ferrari world. Not many opportunities -- my friends and neighbors all drive Toyotas and Hondas, and even they are reluctant to hand over their keys.
    You're right, of course, having a baseline of comparison would be a nice thing. I'm used to vintage cars, though, so I don't have unreasonable expectations about the performance of an 80's vintage Ferrari.

21. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Driven an 8, owned a euro Quattrovalve coupe, then my 3.2.
    Not surprisingly the 3.2 seems to be most sorted and reliable. Just like the evolution of the corresponding 3x8 models.

22. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    #2447 greatscott73, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    I tried to buy a Mondial from the same company's showroom close to where I live before I got the one I now own. They are strictly a consignment shop, so not a typical dealer. First, they refused to let me drive the car I was attempting to buy, though they did take me for a quick ride in it. I made a reasonable (probably higher than market at the time, but substantially below what they were asking) offer that they were supposed to pass along to the car's owner for consideration. I found out later that they (allegedly) didn't when I bumped into the car and it's owner at a local show. He told me he would have taken the offered price if he had been made aware of it, so buyer (and seller, apparently) beware. Whether or not this scenario actually happened is anyone's guess, but the owner (and his wife) seemed genuinely unhappy when I told them about my offer. This is one of the weak points in dealing with a consignment shop. You have a middle man who may have his own interests foremost instead of either the buyer or seller. Oh, and they did know absolutely nothing about what they were selling. When I asked the salesman to open the engine cover and the trunk, he had no idea how to make that happen. I finally got in and did it for him. It all worked out in the end as I ended up with a better car for less money from the most honest PO one could ask for. All's well that ends well.

Wade likes this.
  23. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Man, that was the same scenario when I was looking at Lotus Esprits months ago. It was a big consignment shop in Dallas, extremely overpriced car. The car is still there 8 months later, sitting, completely overpriced and not selling. I made a realistic offer and explained why the car was so overpriced but they acted like they were experts and the car was worth that. The guy I was talking to was probably 22 and came across as someone who barely made it out of high school. I swear I don’t know how some of these car shops stay in business.

24. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Mainly on storage fees, I think. LOL...

25. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name: