Latest model Escalade - Rough Ride? | FerrariChat

Latest model Escalade - Rough Ride?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by VAF84, Apr 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Question for any owners of the latest model Escalade 18/19. We bought a CPO Escalade with under 30k miles not long ago. First GM product, and overall pleased with the car, except it rides rough, really rough. As in my 17 F250 Super Duty might have a more comfortable ride.

I’d read reviews saying they were rougher than other luxury SUV’s, but I don’t mind most rough rides, in fact I like some feedback; but this seems excessive. We purchased in large part because we had a nice experience renting a Hertz Escalade in Colorado for a week; which we put hundreds of miles on. Maybe the roads are better there, but I just don’t recall so much bumpiness. I cringe going over speed humps, and just in highway driving between exburbs and Houston, my wife was almost nauseous in the passenger seat. I’ve had a number of cars from econoboxes to pickups to luxury cars and it probably ranks as one of the bumpiest I’ve felt.

Maybe it’s just Houston highways, haven’t taken it to Austin yet, but has anyone experienced the same? Could be a warranty issue, but I just can’t imagine what could wear in under 30k miles for it to behave like this. The SUV is solid otherwise.

matta72 likes this.
  2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Check that the tires aren’t way overinflated. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen that done, but probably wouldn’t impact the ride as much as you’re experiencing

VAF84, APA#1 and blvckintl like this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks for the tip. The TPMS shows them at the right level though.

4. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    This is a long shot, but if memory serves me the Escalade comes standard with MR shock absorbers. They used to have to install a spacer for shipping purposes in those shocks. If the dealer doesn't remove them, the result is a harsh ride.
    You might take it to the Cadillac dealer near you and ask if that's the case with your vehicle.

5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Excellent tip Bill, thanks! It feels more like something along those lines. Going to see if I can take it in and ask about it.

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The front struts also seem to wear extremely fast. First one I noticed was a friends, she asked me to look at it. Dealer had told her she needed struts at 65k miles. It drove horribly, and one strut was leaking, the other felt locked up.
    Since then I’ve seen several more that were super stiff between 50-80k. Less mileage than yours but I don’t see many under warranty. Have it checked out for sure.

7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

No wonder these guys specify that CPO coverage doesn't cover wear and tear items like the suspension. They must have repeated it like 3 times during closing. I kept thinking that doesn't concern me at all on a car up to 100k because they rarely require them sub 90k. I called my sales person and he set us up to have it checked out today, and admits that if it's not riding smoothly probably an issue with magnetic ride or shocks. Luckily still under original warranty. Only other car I've swapped suspension parts sub 100k was my F250 which required the two front ones at just under 60k, but I've towed my heavy trailer a few times and driven through some terrible roads at speed.

8. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Good luck, I hope they take care of it. The front struts are not cheap by any means.

technom3 and VAF84 like this.
  9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks! Turns out it was one of the rear struts? Wife dropped it off, and she couldn't remember exactly what he said, but we'll get it back tomorrow with the details. At least it's covered under the original warranty. Going to have to keep a look out on the front though. May have them check those out right before original warranty runs out.

E60 M5 likes this.
  10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    My wife bought two CPO Cadillacs (back to back) and both came with better warranties than the new cars. Coverage was bumper to bumper until the initially warranty ended and then the CPO warranty kicks in. Amazingly enough, at least three battery replacements were covered at no cost.

Another thing to consider, if the tires are replaced with those rated for Light Truck (e.g. Tahoe or Silverado) then you're lose part of that "Cadillac Ride". So replace with OE spec only.

11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

To clarify, it was the rear shock that seized up. They replaced that and the rear camera while it was there too.

@Wade - Completely agree the CPO warranty is better than new, and probably best in the industry for a Luxury brand. In fact, unless one plans to replace a vehicle every 3 years, the CPO Cadillac is the way to go. I’m about sold on just replacing her 19 with the 2021 once the first lease returns show up a year or two later, and then keeping that one for 5-7 years. I love the Michelin all-season tires, and would like to replace stock with those soon as they wear out. Are you saying that’s a bad idea?

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    We chose the Michelin all-season tires as well. In the past, a tire shop know-it-all sold truck tires to my wife for her Escalade, which, made it ride like a truck. She went with Cadillac-spec Michelins on the next set and everything was smooth again.

This was a few years ago and they change tires specs all the time so it might not be a concern for newer Michelins. For example:

The Defender LTX M/S is Michelin's Highway All-Season tire developed to combine long tread life with all-season capabilities for vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles, as well as for commercial vans, shuttles and chassis cab vehicles using heavy-duty, light-truck sizes. The Defender LTX M/S is designed to combine a smooth, quiet ride with year-round traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, even in light snow.

Compared to the popular Michelin LTX M/S2 it replaces, the new Defender LTX M/S tires share the same highly functional tread pattern, and offer improvements in wear life/longevity to better meet the high-torque demands of modern trucks. Defender LTX M/S is designed to be stronger, longer.
    Or this:

The LTX M/S2 is Michelin's Highway All-Season tire developed to combine long tread life with all-season capabilities for vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles, as well as for commercial vans, shuttles and chassis cab vehicles using light truck tire sizes. The LTX M/S2 is designed to combine a smooth, quiet ride with year-round traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including in light snow. Compared to the original LTX M/S, the LTX M/S2 is an evolution in looks . . . and a leap forward in performance.

The LTX M/S2 molds a long wearing, silica-enhanced, all-season compound into a tread profile featuring Michelin's MaxTouch Construction to produce a contact patch that promotes reliable traction and long wear by evenly distributing acceleration, braking and cornering forces. A symmetric tread design of stable independent tread blocks featuring high-density 3-D Active Sipes delivers all-season traction on dry roads and in inclement weather. Four wide circumferential channels, multiple lateral grooves and open shoulder slots promote lateral water evacuation to enhance wet traction and stopping performance.
    For her current SRX (Performance model) we went with the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season. Phenomenal tires but probably apples to oranges (SRX - Escalade).

VAF84 likes this.
  13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

They did that to my SO also.... good reason to go to Discount Tire.

I went back there a week later, said I hated the tires. All my $$$ back, including labor.
    Had them swap out to Michelin. Perfect.

VAF84 likes this.
  14. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

The LTX's are great!

Speaking of Discount. I swapped over to Costco for a while, and then got fed up with their terrible service in the tire department. Discount has never failed so I've resumed my business with them. They're actually really great, and worth the bit extra sometimes.

15. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Glad you figured it out. We had a 2017 and it rode like a cream puff for us.

VAF84 likes this.
  16. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks! I'll go ahead and second that statement. Apparently, it must have been on it's way out when I bought it because it's night and day better. Very smooth ride now.

Wade likes this.