348 Door Wiring | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Door Wiring

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sweetspotav, Aug 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Where is the actual switch that turns the dome light on? Passenger side works great, but nothing on driver side however the red light on the door works.

2. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    You know that dome lite is a rocker switch in itself, right? I can't get behind how they did it in the thread. I fix all makes of cars. If it's a nice car, I gotta duplicate the factory in most cases. I took pictures but I can't get them to upload.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think only the spiders have that rocker style switch (?)

It uses the same "plunger" switch as the door light (near the door hinge).

Sounds like you have a problem with your light time delay module (mounted on the passenger relay panel) or its fuse. The passenger door switch sends an earth (ground signal) to the overhead light, the door light and the time delay. Unlike the passenger door switch, the driver's switch only sends an earth to the door light and the time delay (It's up to the time delay to put on the the overhead light).

I believe the time delay module is item 9:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348/electrical-boards.html

P/N 134448

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Part-134448-TIMER-RELAY-348GTB-348GTS-ITALAMEC-02-391-/153327070103

I don't know which version/year of the car you have so don't blame me if that's the wrong part :p Please fill out your profile page!

First, however, check the fuse. Is your cigarette lighter working? The fuse also powers that.

If it's not the fuse, pull the time delay, clean the pins, etc and refit to see if it makes a difference. If you're good with a soldering iron, maybe you can pop the cover off the relay and inspect and repair any faulty solder joints. If that doesn't work, you either need a new time delay module or you have a wiring problem.

Here's the wiring diagram (for a non-spider car):

Ferrari 348 Windows, Doorlocks, Interior Lights, etc, Wiring Diagram.GIF

The timer delay is marked "LIP"

Hope this helps more than it hurts ;)

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Let me simplify it:

Does your cigarette lighter work?
    When you open your passenger door and close it, does the overhead light go out immediately?

5. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Thanks, I’ll see if I can follow the breadcrumbs. Much appreciated.

6. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Cig lighter not sure, but the light does go out immediately when passenger door closes.

Qavion likes this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If the lighter is ok, it would point to a time delay module issue, not a power issue. At least it's not door wiring.

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I haven't owned my 348 for a number of years now, but as I recall, there are TWO dome light switches inside the left front door jamb. One of them works the key buzzer, and the other works the dome light. If the dome light switch has fallen through its mounting hole to the space under the dash, it doesn't work any longer, even if it's still plugged in. Sounds like this might be a possibility if the right door's function is still OK. Easy to check. Is there a small, square, open hole in the left door jamb? Or is there a functioning switch in each of the two holes?

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    From what I've been told, the upper switch is for the lights, the lower switch (if fitted) is for the mousetrack seatbelt.

I suppose the mousetrack seatbelt switch could also be for the buzzer, as door buzzers and mousetracks are usually only fitted on USA cars. I'm not sure where Mark (Bucci) is from. Anyway, Mark has no dome light time delay on his other door.

10. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    No there are no holes in the door jambs that would house a switch. I’ve been looking.. But I’ll look again. I also assume because the passenger works the light it isn’t a power or fuse, so like the other fellow said it might be the relay seeing as the passenger goes out immediately once closed. Hope to be able to look closer in next couple days and will let you know what I see. But for now I can see no plumber of any sort on either side of the car that resembles a switch. Weird.. I think it must me inside the door activated by the door hinge or something. Will investigate..

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  12. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
  13. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Yep borrowed relay just below it and it fixed it. Guess I got to buy a part. I think someone wrote could get on eBay?

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #39 Qavion, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Bizarre. I guess it has been missing since you bought the car.... or the person who last did a service on your car decided he wanted one.

I don't know what the cheapest source of timer delay relays is, but as mentioned above...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ferrari-Part-134448-TIMER-RELAY-348GTB-348GTS-ITALAMEC-02-391-/153327070103

... certainly cheaper than this one, depending on postage costs...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-348-348-TB-348-TS-Timer-for-Electrical-Boards-/162237904332

15. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    This is helpful Pic.
    That is m6 guess as well. Got one on order. Thanks for all the help.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.