Portofino - "Real Ferrari"...opinions please | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Portofino - "Real Ferrari"...opinions please

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Adrian Saunders, Mar 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Great now it looks like a mazda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I suspect that they will not share struts, springs or anti-roll bars. I would also be surprised if they shared the same geometry.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There; now you're on to something!
    T

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its a real Ferrari alright. Just drive one and you will see.

Rather than getting into if its a "real" Ferrari- I would change the wording to the Portofino is a less intense Ferrari.

It's not as intense and involving as some other models. But it has a fun and a passion for driving all its own. We all react differently, so what matters here relative to other models and even other brands is your own opinion.

635CSI and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  5. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    as real as it gets. Portofino is done very tastefully. it clicks all the boxes as a supercar and a Ferrari. of course, you can argue it could be more driver focus, but that's other line up's job.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nuno you deranged madman!:D Enzo is turning in his grave so violently the people of Modena think there's a century sized thunderstorm brewing up there on San Cataldo:D Enzo loved his four seaters, that's the way the man rolled. He would have been utterly chuffed about the FF and Lusso - and he had a penchant for oddities. Remember the 250 "Breadvan"?;)

635CSI and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Eh, it ticks all the boxes for a great exotic GT, but Supercar? Not even close. But then again, I think apart from the VS models, only the 812 can hold that title. Otherwise we're looking into the Pista, TdF and so forth.

SirPouyan and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    You’ve made me laugh out loud!

You’re of course, absolutely right. I was hoping no one would pick my post up, but you did :D

Furthermore, I agree with your assessment regarding the Portofino. I believe it to be a true Ferrari, but a Gran Turismo at that, not a Supercar. I think Ferrari had done a good job separating those two concepts, both with respect to the relationship between the California and the 458, and now between the Portofino and the 488. A clear difference between the two in terms of philosophy.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

SirPouyan and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  9. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    don't know what everyone's standard about supercar these days. If we are really going to define the terms of supercar, I would argue that i have never feel the 812 was a supercar, more like a hyper gt, big ,fat, fast, agile and luxury. it's an extension of gt series. after that, all the 488, pista, v8 models becoming sports cars. that left laferrari, enzo, etc. to be categorized as supercars.
    lol, lets call the portofino a sport gt then

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  10. crazedboutcars

crazedboutcars Karting

Dec 14, 2018
    Dubai, U.A.E.
    Full Name:
    Madhav Kanchan
    I agree with the author of this post... I personally love the Lusso and a brilliant daily driver that can accommodate your family as well and can be aggressive at the push of the gas pedal... I am considering a used car option but sometime hopefully when next year in the 1Q hopefully by then things would calm down... I am disappointed with Ferrari with the fact that this model suffered terribly in the second hand market as compared with their other offerings... I believe this was mainly because you were forced to buy this car in order to get another car and this is not how it should be done... sell the model to only those who really want it and not by forcing it on people... I would have loved to consider a new Lusso but sadly it is out of production

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The 812 is more of a supercar than the Aventador. The Enzo and teh LaFerrari are hypercars.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  12. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    A true Ferrari has a yellow badge on the nose, depicting a black horse rearing up on its hind legs.
    It’s quite easy.

I’ve driven manual ones, 2 seaters, 4 seaters, paddle shift ones, old ones, new ones, hard ones, soft ones, and so on.
    They all had something special about them and all put a smile on my face.

I have two other manual gearbox cars, that have V8 engines made in made in Maranello.
    Not Ferraris, though Enzo used to be driven around in one.....

Veloman likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed. There are some GT traits to the 812, but despite its front engined layout, it is very much a sports car - it also sits in that line of cars with Ferrari. It is every bit as wonderfully frightening, marvellous, bonkers, fast and exhilarating as one would expect from a pure blooded beast of a supercar. It doesen't feel as daft and "useless" as an Aventador, but that's not a bad thing. I have spent about 20 hours all together in a few variants of that car, and the only thing I find mind boggling about it, is how anybody would want one...

I personally don't care much for the "hypercar" moniker. I understands what it defines, but to me, that's just redefining the supercar.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SirPouyan and REALZEUS like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I prefer exotic gt for the porto and exotic sports car for the mid engined V8's. I usually refer to the Lusso as a super gt lol:D

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I see where you are coming from. but if you come to think of it, the same applies to the term "supercar". It's a top of the line sportscar really. It's good to have different terms though, in order to better understand the segment that each car occupies.