Pebble Beach 2020 | FerrariChat

Pebble Beach 2020

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by KatMan, Apr 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Just saw on the Pebble Beach 2020 Website. Cancelled for 2020.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (April 22, 2020) — Knowing that entrants, judges, volunteers and guests face ongoing health concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic, officials of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance have decided to cancel the show, which was scheduled for August 16, 2020.

“My heart goes out to all of the people who are involved in the Pebble Beach Concours and who are impacted by this decision,” said Concours Chairman Sandra Button. “Many of our entrants have been working on a special car for years, and this was to be their moment. Some of our overseas entrants were nearing the point of putting their cars on boats and planes, and their own travel arrangements have long been made. The same is true for many of our international cadre of judges."

“We thank all of the enthusiasts who have gathered at Pebble Beach time and again to renew long-standing friendships, celebrate great cars and give so generously to Concours charities — and who have already expressed their support for the coming celebration no matter the date.”

The car selection process for the 70th Pebble Beach Concours, which was scheduled for Sunday, August 16, 2020, was recently completed, and entrants were notified of their acceptance earlier this month. The acceptance letters stressed that these cars were invited to appear at the 70th celebration — even if it was delayed. With the cancellation of this year's event, the 70th Pebble Beach Concours will now take place on Sunday, August 15, 2021.

Features will remain as planned, with a display of past Best of Show winners along the edge of Stillwater Cove, and special classes focusing on Pininfarina coachwork, Porsche 917, Talbot-Lago Grand Sport, Miller racing, Iso, Early Electrics and the Carrera Panamericana.

“Pebble Beach Company has been pleased to host this event since its beginning, and we look forward to hosting the 70th celebration in 2021,” said Company CEO William L. Perocchi. “This event does more than celebrate great cars; it benefits so many people in need. Ultimately, the continued health and safety of everyone associated with the Concours is our number one priority, which led us to this difficult decision. We recognize that cancelling the 2020 event will be disappointing to many, although we are confident it is appropriate under these unique circumstances.”

All tickets purchased to date for the 70th Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance will be valid for the event on Sunday, August 15, 2021. Ticket purchasers who cannot attend the 70th Concours on its new 2021 date can request a refund by emailing [email protected].

For more information on the Concours, go to www.pebblebeachconcours.net.

375+ likes this.
  3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Unfortunately with all things considered given the costs to run an event like Pebble not too surprised. Pebble is too vibrant an event to experience in a lack luster way. Smart move on their part.

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  5. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    So Car Week 2020 is officially canceled. This year is just depressing....

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The economy of everywhere from Carmel to Salinas just got CRUSHED. This is not something you can make up later. Its just gone.

375+ likes this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I truly feel sorry for the merchants but not for many of the privileged residents who b*tch moan and complain about the car people and the traffic. How much does Car Week contribute to the local economy, $50 million or more? Perhaps residents will make up the difference this year? Think of it as a Serenity Tax.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you look at hotel rates within 50 miles of Monterey that weekend they skyrocket. Restaurants and bars are packed. Its a huge blow to many people.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As I've mentioned before, based on my personal observations in last 2-3 years, there's been annually increasing number of "Vacancy" lights/signs on + empty hotel/motel parking lots along with a lot of empty tables at restaurants in and around Monterey during "that weekend", likely due to "skyrocket" pricing, not to mention many of the "events" having clearly lackluster attendance.
    I'd imagine this years cancellations coupled with above may help (or force) local hospitality industry and event organizers re-think their (pricing) strategies.

BigTex, 375+ and Texas Forever like this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Interesting. The last time I tried to go was a couple of year ago and a Saturday stay in a motel 6 fifty miles away was $199/ night

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes, I hadn't notice any price reductions, but as I said, maybe this will teach 'em ?

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Back in 2012, I stayed in a Carmel hotel with a small room: 3 night minimum 300 per night. This year: same room 5 night minimum 800 per night.

JimEakin and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    That is normal since many years.

Marcel Massini

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As expected Gordon McCall's Motorwerks Party at Monterey Jet Center now cancelled as well.
    And The Quail, a Motorsport Gathering at Quail Lodge, in Carmel Valley, has now been cancelled too.

Marcel Massini

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Last year there were vacancies unlike prior years. Anyone need Quail tickets?

16. barkanddex

barkanddex Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Natalie
    Extremely disappointed but sort of expected it due to the potential liability of having so many folks closely together. Was going to be our first year going. I was shell shocked at the prices of hotels: we actually scored the last room at the Portofino for $599 beginning the week up to $850 Fri-Sat. At least thinking of all the money we are saving!

17. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Am I the only one who thinks we (Pebble Beach Concours, Quail, etc.) are overreacting???? These events are not for another 3.5 months! And let's be real, in life there are always risks. Driving those vintage cars (no airbags, no ABS, some no seat belts, etc.) is risky! Driving to Pebble Beach is risky! Drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes leads to deaths but we don't curb our entire society or ban alcohol or smoking. Skiing is risky. Swimming is risky. Crossing the street is risky. I'm all for being prudent, but let's not be like Chicken Little running around screaming "The Sky Is Falling!" because it is not! Give people a choice. We've had pandemics before but society as a whole did not stop living. Let people have the choice to assume the risk of attending these events just like we assume the risk when we ride a motorcycle, have a drink, fly in an airplane, drive a convertible or cross the street. America was built by people brave enough to set sail across the Atlantic in rickety wooden sailing ships and people brave enough to venture west in covered wagons across "Death Valley" and over the Rocky Mountains. Now we're too afraid to attend a car show?

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No overreacting at all.
    I think it is a very wise decision.
    Pebble Beach Concours is a totally international show, not just Americans or locals. Ten thousands of people from many dozens of countries attend every year.
    In case you are not aware, most people can not travel right now. Why? Simply because they are not allowed to leave their home country, not even as a tourist or for business.
    I live in Switzerland and have a Swiss passport and have travelled to Pebble and Monterey every year since 1977. Only missed one year. I had booked and paid flights and hotels for August 2020 already in December 2019. Swiss Air will not fly in August 2020, right now 95 percent of their aircraft are parked at various Swiss airports and they will continue to be parked for several months. Many airlines will soon go bankrupt. Swiss people are not even allowed to travel by car to Germany, Austria, France or Italy, all surrounding countries. No chance to leave home country right now and this will continue for several months. This crisis does not only hit world economy, almost everybody on this planet is totally locked in for many more months to come.
    This year is done, gone, history.

Oh, btw, how would you handle, organize and control the required physical distance of 6 feet (2 metres) between each person at Pebble Beach? Absolutely totally impossible. No way.

Marcel Massini

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So what's stopping you to counter-react and organize your own "choice" event(s) this August?
    Let us "Chickens" know how it/they went.

375+ likes this.
  20. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Hello Marcel

Not disagreeing with your points. What I am saying is we are only in April and Pebble is August. Frankly, if our global airlines are not up and running by August we are going to have some very serious long term problems. Same with our hotel, restaurant, etc., industries. If the country/world is not opening up again by August no doubt we will be in a depression. Airlines will have exhausted bailout money and will be filing for bankruptcy. It is incredibly expensive simply to store and maintain a grounded airplane.

Stock markets will plunge further taking with them many millions of people's retirement funds.

And how are governments going to provide stimulus packages and unemployment benefits when their tax bases dramatically shrank starting back in March?

This is not like the World War 2 / Marshall Plan era when there were countries that were victors. This time around globally every country is taking a serous financial hit. Whose going to bail our governments out? Previously we turned to China but now China is taking a hit. The oil rich nations like Saudi Arabia? Not with oil at $0 a barrel.

Imagine all the taxes not generated by towns, states and national governments? Dramatic drop in gas taxes, hotel taxes, shops, businesses and restaurant taxes. How are towns and cities going to make payrol and provide essential services?

I just read that in Wuhan they are opening up but restaurants are not permitted to have dine-in customers and how now, already, businesses are going out of business as they cannot afford to pay their monthly rent.

Let's not forget the millions of dollars raised for the numerous charities during Pebble Beach weekend. How are these charitable organizations going to make up that substantial loss in income?

How many Monterey and area businesses depend on Monterey Week to turn their business profitable? I would bet businesses in Monterey make more in that one week than in two or three regular months. What about all the small business owners?

If a vaccine or treatment is not developed and soon and if the virus does not "go away" this issue will have to be addressed and a cross road crossed.

21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Pebble Beach just cancelled for 2020.

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    ExcelsiorZ likes this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    RM Sotheby's has yet to cancel.

24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Word is that they have a hyper-rare old Porsche that no one has ever heard of to sell.

JimEakin likes this.
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    RM Sotheby's announced Monterey auction will be on-line only.