Straight Piped 550... Volume Up | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Straight Piped 550... Volume Up

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by FerrariFR33458, Apr 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Here’s another one during last week’s incredible weather here in the PacNW:

308 GTB, DZ-96, subirg and 1 other person like this.
  2. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    That's great wide open...but what does it sound like at 70-80mph in sixth gear?

3. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Very tame, and it will improve with different mufflers. The Tubis use a constricted design to speed up the flow, raising the frequency, but this also pressurizes the system, and can cause drone at low rpm under higher load, such as climbing a mountain pass in 6th. On flat road it is very quiet for being so open. I will try to get a recording from inside the cabin soon.

4. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Now you have me curious, so I just ordered a Supersprint x-pipe to test. I will report back with a video when it arrives.

F456M and F11 like this.
  5. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    I wonder what a Fbio Fmghi 6-1 header set up with stock mufflers would sound like? Would be cool to get the power from the equal length headers, cats, and double H pipe, along with the change in pitch but not too much volume.

love all the videos Nifty keep them coming!

Harryk and F456M like this.
  6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Sounds great. Just waiting to purchase this toy, for my baby.

F456M likes this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I believe it will sound great. A lot of the sound comes from the engine up front and not the exhaust from the rear. The more restrictive the rear exhaust is, the more you will hear the sound coming from the engine compartment because the pressure inside the system is higher. When I changed from stock to Hyperflow sport catalyzers, some of the sound disappeared from the front of the car. But when I closed the flaps on the stock mufflers the sound was more easy to hear from the sport catalyzers too... Only one way to check it...

8. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Sounds very very nice.

9. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Can you upload video from your phone or does it need to be on the internet? I made a vid of my 550 with xpipe, muffler delete

10. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    You can upload but it will be treated as a file/attachment, so people can download it but it will not be embedded like youtube. You can also post to facebook or twitter, and general link to post should embed properly

11. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #36 ASK328, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    I’m in the minority - sounds horrible and I have a headache listening to it on the computer. Wouldn’t even want a ride in a straight piped car, would get to much of a headache.

A car IMHO that a civilized chap simply could not live with, and not a match for the 550.

bruzzifumi likes this.
  12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I once had a QP with Tubi Race mufflers. It mainly attracted 12 year old boys. Didn't last long !

13. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Yeah the Tubis are the biggest issue. Straight piped equal length headers are the classic Ferrari signature V12 sound, but my Tubis make it far too raspy. Luckily the mic is on the bumper and there is very little drone in the cabin when cruising.

14. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Would love to hear it from inside the car rather than from the tailpipe. Any chance of a similar video but mic in the car?

15. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Yes, I will see if I can get time tomorrow. And my x-pipe just shipped, arriving May 8th so sometime the week of May 11th the car goes in for custom valved mufflers and x-pipe install.

16. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    If requests are considered please also upload downshifting from 5th gear all the way down, to 2nd. With heel/toe revs between the gears :D

The sound is wonderful. Thanks for the video.

I hope after hooking the system up on my car I do not have to face every other Mustang coming alongside, for a race on the freeway.

17. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Yes, will do. That sounds like a fun challenge :)

ralfabco likes this.
  18. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Meant to say...wow this 550 is awesome. Keep it coming !

19. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree with you. I think it sounds terrible and I wouldn't last thru one cycle thru the gears, never mind take a trip with it. My wife made it VERY clear that if I did that to my 550, she would NEVER ride in the car again.

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My goodness gracious. Some of us are so sensitive to exhaust music.

white out likes this.
  21. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    That's exactly what I was wondering.

22. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Or at idle !

ExcelsiorZ likes this.
  23. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    I’ve had my 550 “open piped” and it was obnoxiously loud at “normal freeway” speeds....like give you a headache after 30 minutes. I could not imagine taking a road trip like that. I’m all about the V-12 shriek, but not at the expense of how I drive my 550 90% of the time. I would think valved mufflers would be the way to go...Potentially the best of both worlds.

24. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #49 straightpipe, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Not for everyone, but some time ago I made true straight pipes for around town and on the track. We were able to take several trips since the drone was minimum when running at constant speeds. Recording didn’t work with the high db levels and I always wanted to hear it from the rear end. Regardless, it was a thrill hearing the fantastic sounds on the track as I revved from 4k to 7k with the Daytona P-6 race cams. Gearing down was just as good.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

niftyfivefifty likes this.
  25. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I have the full Fia|\/||\/|enghi exhaust from headers to tip and there is no droning no matter what speed or gear, with the exhaust valves open OR closed. It is how the car should've left from the factory.

With the valves closed you could drive it cross country without taking a pack of pain killers for the droning caused by some of the other exhaust systems I've heard.

crinoid and niftyfivefifty like this.