Green/yellow wire in console | FerrariChat

Green/yellow wire in console

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by greatscott73, Apr 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Chasing the “light” idiot light in the console cluster and found this little surprise lurking. Anyone with a diagram able to tell me what these two wires attach to? This is just how I found them, with insulation pulled back. 1987 us 3.2 cab. TIA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Can you send an image of the front of what this is attached to? I'm assuming it is the warning light assembly that sits flat in the console? The problem is that with the manual I have that is supposed to be for an '87 I can't find that assembly. The manual does show ABS, so I wonder if it is somewhat too late. I also have an '87, non-ABS with the warning light panel. The manual is 488/87.

3. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    #3 greatscott73, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    It is the warning lamp panel. The rest of that wiring loom goes to the middle of the three connectors on the warning panel. No ABS on my car either.
    I also checked, and one wire is hot with the ignition on and the other isn't. I'm amazed it hasn't bounced off something metal and taken out a fuse or worse.

4. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
  5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1

Shot in the dark, but does your alternator warning light work?

greatscott73 and Wade like this.
  6. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I have an 1987 Mondial 3.2 wiring diagram but it's for the later cars (no check panel but with ABS).

Johan went through a similar problem. This is from one of his posts. Notice that both green and yellow wires connect together.

Maybe he can help with a wiring diagram. @Jeka

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/144450298/

[​IMG]

8. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    That’s interesting, because that terminal on the white connector where it should attach is empty. I’ll have to pull the connector and see if it looks like it might have been attached. Thanks very much!

9. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    So I twisted the wires together and pushed them into the connector and now the alternator light is on when the ignition is hot, so that must have been the issue. You guys are great! Thanks for the help! Now if I could get that darned idiot lamp to shut off ....

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good to know. Now the next question (I hate to ask) is why were the wires disconnected?

11. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Beats me! It’s the first time I’ve had the panel out in the year I’ve owned the car. It came out easily, so I don’t think they pulled loose when I removed it, but anything’s possible.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Drawing shows both wires connected to term 1 in the center section of the monitor check control, then 1 wire goes to connector C3, connector for eng wiring in LH side of eng bay, then to the alternator.
    Other wire goes to connector C5 on LH side of instrument panel, then to term 15 on alt warning light and onto the key ignition switch. This is from a book on a right hand drive car.

13. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Thanks to all for the help. Sheltering in place today will involve some soldering, lol.

14. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Opened up the connector today and there is no evidence that those wires were ever connected. The clasps on the metal end inside the connector don't appear to have ever been crimped over to hold the wire(s) in place. I find it hard to believe they have been bouncing around in there for 33 years, but maybe they just walked out of the connector when I removed the plate.

By the way, I'm continually amazed how Steve's "shot in the dark" is superior to anything I come up with in broad daylight, lol.

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't have any electrical documentation for US version 3.2 Mondial, but often you can develop a feel for the designer's (logical) desire to keep things sort of consistent, and the alternator warning light wires on many F models of this era use GV (green-yellow) insulation. I do have a copy of the 488/87 wiring diagram for the euro version 3.2 Mondial that Peter mentioned, but, even though it has a check panel, the connector layout for the check panel just doesn't seem anything at all like the connector layout in your photos (but the alternator warning light wires are GV ;)). If anyone has an electrical schematic for a US version 3.2 Mondial that they can post, or post a dropbox(like) link, please do. I so miss FerrariDataBase...

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Steve, I have 488/87 as well but didn't see the Check Control Panel anywhere.

I also have two QV wiring diagrams (US and Euro). Both show the green/yellow wires for the Check Control Panel exactly as described by Mike32 (Post # 12).

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You're right Wade -- the Mondial QV schematic is a better resource for this than 488/87. I had (wrongly) assumed that it was somewhere in the mis-mash of Fig 6 of 488/87, and didn't realize that euro version 3.2 Mondial don't have the Check Control Panel at all.

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    $400 for a used copies of 442/86. That's crazy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Mondial-Wiring-Diagram-Workshop-Manual-Book-Cabriolet-3-2-442-86-OEM/152529809501
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Mondial-Wiring-Diagram-Workshop-Manual-Book-442-86-Cabriolet-3-2-OEM-/172651534586

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    The offending wires have been soldered together and reattached to the connector. I gained the desired operation of the alternator lamp, so hopefully all is now sorted. Unfortunately, this did nothing to cure the "lights" warning lamp that is currently driving me nuts (it is a short trip, believe me!). Going after all the connections with contact cleaner today to address the problem after changing out all the bulbs didn't work. Thanks again for all the help and the impressive amount of knowledge.

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Which idiot light is the problem ?

21. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Second one from the bottom, that just says “lights” and tells you you have a problem with an exterior bulb. From what I have read on this site, it is a fairly common issue. Changed all the bulbs with OSRAM units, no difference. I'm going to Deoxit all the connectors and check grounds next. Its actually kind of therapy during this insanity we all live in now...

Wade likes this.
  22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am going back a few years but i think mine had this, if i remember correctly some of the rear lights have 2 bulbs and if one is not working this comes on ? If u have swapped the bulbs it might be an idea to check the ground to each bulb .

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Which version of 3.2 Mondial schematics has this computer light module in the schematics?

24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its in my copy of the 3.2 . Pt no 95990845. Item 95 on the drawing

25. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Solved the warning lamp issue. When I bought the car little over a year ago, one license lamp was inoperative. After removing both and being horrified at the amount of corrosion on the fixtures, I went looking for new replacements. What I bought are the newer superseded units that look similar, fit perfectly and hook up the same way. What they don’t have, though, is the same bulb. The old uses a typical round glove bulb, while the new uses a tube style bulb for improved brightness. Apparently the diagnostic brain didn’t like the difference and triggered the warning. Put the old one back in, and dash lamp went out.

Attached Files: