Cleaning sticky buttons | FerrariChat

Cleaning sticky buttons

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by babwine, Apr 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. babwine

babwine Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Boca Raton/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Burt
    what is best method to remove the sticky/tacky feel on buttons in a 458

2. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    There are a couple excellent companies that refinish the buttons, dials , etc to a better than new standard.
    Nothing else has the permanence or quality.

3. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Karting

Nov 4, 2006
    Rubbing alcohol which remove the sticky gunk. That's only a stop-gap resolution; you should still get the buttons, etc., refinished.

4. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    If going with DIY, use 90%+ isopropyl + terrycloth towel + fingernails as this will easily remove the "sticky". Note that it also removes any white labeling from plastic bits as well as the paint on ashtray cover and door handles.

5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    If you want it done perfectly StickyRx. Period.

vjd3, Potenza430 and Ferris Bueller like this.
  6. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    As stated above by Graz
    There is no one better
    I had every plastic piece in my 430 refinished by StickyRX and the results were flawless

7. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    The results you will get from Sticky Rx are better than flawless and better than new. The finish besides flawless is PERMANENT. You wouldbe hard pressed to scratch the coating with a screwdriver. Dave let me try and using a screw driver and medium pressure I could not make a mark on a finished piece.

8. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    After having had the sticky stuff in my 430 re-done by StickyRx, their work is first rate and the way the switch gear et al should have been finished in the first place.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    100%

10. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Robbie at http://www.stickynomore.com does a flawless job, plus he does all the parts for every Ferrari dealer.

Not to mention he is a forum sponsor.

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Their work is good but not at same level as stickyrx. Ive used both over since they both came to market. Stickynomore also uses stickers which is subpar to me. Plenty of dealers use rx.

RossoC360 likes this.
  12. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    My 15 Cali T just came back from the shop ... and the reverse button was bubbled. Wasn’t like that before ... I’ve never had this issue with this car (5k miles) my previous Cali (10k miles) or my first F430.

Makes me wonder how much body chemistry has to do with it. The R button was the only button they were likely to have touched as there was no test drive involved. I have a guitar shop, and have seen guys who have corrosive body chemistry — one guy can absolutely trash a set of strings in 20 minutes; I can play 10 3-hour shows on my stage guitar and the strings look brand new.

Curious if just a touch or two from someone with particularly acidic sweat or maybe a trace of a solvent or chemical on their hand/glove can kick off the process which then gets worse from there.

I cleaned it off with alcohol and it’s just one button, so no big deal. Even the R survived. But from seeing the attention to detail from StickyRX, I would use his services. I’m also an art director who is semi obsessive about typography, and the laser etching he does of the factory lettering on even complicated parts — climate control, for example — is just spot-on.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I'm sure body chemistry is as involved as spray cleaners. My dealer published a virus policy where they will sanitize all hard touch surfaces in the interior. That's a big no in my book.