360 - Is this oil in coolant reservoir - possible heat exchanger failure | FerrariChat

360 Is this oil in coolant reservoir - possible heat exchanger failure

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, Apr 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Hi guys,

I am working on my 360 and just getting g the car sorted. I bought it with unknown service history and supposedly had the belts done with waterpump about 2k miles ago. The car has been sitting for a while and I have driven it less than 10 miles. I was checking the coolant and I saw what appears to be oil residue in the the reservoir tank. The gearbox does not chatter and shifts well. Is this oil or is it something else from the car sitting for some time? Any help greatly appreciated. Please see the pics. I did drain some coolant to try and inspect.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You could easily have some minor combustion trails in the coolant. It is a working machine after all. What I see in your photos is no indication of failure.

Lastly with the failure that you must be thinking of (heat exchanger below the intake) the coolant traces would be seen clearly in the transaxle fluid - more so than in the coolant reservoir.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Michael has it right. Check the fluid in the transaxle. Any leak will be VERY obvious there.

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  4. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks guys will drain the transaxle and report back. I am either going to fill it with Redline N/S or Smurphblood, Redsline Shockproof Lightwieght:)

RANDY6005 likes this.
  5. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    If your gear oil is contaminated ? you should flush your gear box with auto trans fluid it took me four times to get it clear. And then drove it for 100 miles and flushed it again. I use Mobil gear oil just asking why do you think Redline is better ?

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Personally, I think it should be changed every year anyway. Two reasons: 1) you detect any leakage in the heat exchanger 2) the transaxle sits directly between the cats and it cooks the oil. Over 2 years you can easily notice degradation in the oil by how the car shifts.

Randy, I have always liked Redline but there are others I would consider. Why? The car shifts well and it holds up better in harsh conditions than Mobile. At least that was my experience with motorcycles where you can really feel and tell the difference. The oil subject has many VERY LONG threads on it; not that they ever reach a conclusion (they don't).

RANDY6005 likes this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Agree. I change my transaxle fluid annually. I used to do coolant every year, too, but when I realized I could detect heat exchanger failed in the transaxle fluid, went to every other year. The anti corrosion additives in coolant used to wear out more easily, but modern coolants last at least two years.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

RANDY6005 likes this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, even Zerex G05 went to nitrited HOATs this year instead of nitrited IATs in the old formulation.

Skidkid and Need4Spd like this.
  9. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Be careful with redline shockproof. It is not recommended for use in transmissions with external coolers as it has an emulsion additive which potentially bungs up the coolant lines and cooler. Redline 75w90NS is the only one to use if going with redline brand. The "NS" is not the same formula as shockproof as it does not have the emulsion. From their shockproof product info "Avoid use with pumps, coolers, and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging" The 360 transmission has a pump, filter and cooler.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

it is not adversiable to use shockproff. not because the oil itself isn't good, but because with shockproof it is not very easy to identify a bad oil when using the gearbox oil dipstick to see if the oil is contaminated with coolant. Personal experience.

it is blue-ish. Unless you use red coolant, of course. Even red coolant mixed with shockproof will give you not-so-easily-identifiable color.

11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    24000rpm did you order a roll bar for your 360 ??

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

what roll bar? The suspension roll bar or the bar behind the seats just in case of something crush the car from above?