GTC Lusso- FF Pano Roof Question | Page 3 | FerrariChat

GTC Lusso- FF Pano Roof Question

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by NeilF8888, Apr 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    In other word using you numbers the center of gravity is 4% lower. That is somewhat significant IMHO... If the car had 4% more hp everyone would be raving about it. 911 owners pay $15k to have a 6% power increase...

2. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Only track cars with deep pockets, this is a GT.

And who knows, that was a guess. I'm actually thinking it's under 3.4% movement of the center, because the 150 would be split, with 1.7% to the top and bottom of the car. 1.7% would be maybe 0.4 inches up on center with a 54" car is nothing. Really 0.8" is nothing unless you're on the track. And in that case you lower the car 1-2" with springs and change everything anyway.

A smarter person would say how much it moves, I think my numbers are wrong but close enough to have a lively discussion. This is a topic with little merit for safety or performance, and the day to day gains are worth the weight ... you're welcome to disagree of course :)

3. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    I would have thought the various sizes of slim to lardy bottoms plonked on the two front seats surely has a more significant impact on c of g than glass or metal overhead. But on the other hand it is not an option on th F12 or tdf which may suggest there is an issue.

635CSI likes this.
  4. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Great point with the passenger weight. 4 adults, average weight of maybe 700 lbs?, mostly below the CG.

The other cars are not as GT focused as the FF/GTC4. So I see as marketing. The new CF is meant to give you a less GT feeling. Obviously that's the goal with this car, the tuning of the exhaust, the square/angular/aggressive looks. Their feedback on the FF was, 'too GT'.

5. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    I know the factory were asked more than once if the fuel tank could be moved on the F12 to allow a small area behind the seats much like the 911 but less so. Probably to accommodate a couple of kids or luggage or even a dog. It was probably the very same F12 owners who supported the FF makeover to be more F12 ish.

6. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If only they had ONE person do the design. Ha! Instead it's the 488/TDF guy on the sides, a lover of Japanese design on the rear, and someone who loves the old cars on the fins and the rest of the exterior, while the LaF guy did the interior.

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    So this explains why I rolled my car in College....the girl in the passenger seat had huge tits taking a left-hander! (so to speak)

Damn...good to know.
    :)

8. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    More off the thread but regarding the Pano roof. We looked at a very nice 2013 still under warranty at the local dealer and noticed the extended antenna [bee sting I guess] on the front top windshield. Not a fan of that spot, but guessing it's due to the roof

anyone with a pano roof have installed a better antenna and can comment on placement.
    thanks

rik

9. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Question: Can the pano roof and rear wiper be retrofitted, either by a dealer or FNA? If so, approx cost, please?

SECRET likes this.
  10. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    could probably be doable but will not make $$$$ sense and prolly take months to do.

SECRET likes this.
  11. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    The whole weight discussion is completely irrelevant, if you were that bothered go on a diet...and that won’t make any difference at all to the feel of a Lusso with all the driver aids and car dynamics....if we were talking race cars then maybe I would entertain the fictional maths.

I live in the UK and I understand only x2 Lusso’s have been ordered without the roof, and they are now worth significantly less sat next to the 99% with a pan roof....a considered must have option in the UK....perhaps it’s our typically grey weather but personally I love the roof, so do the kids and anyone else that gets in it, the Lusso/FF feel a little cramped and dark for a x4 seater without it....

A tip that helps the lines, you can option for the top of the rear boot lid under the floating rear spoiler in black which creates a full front window to rear window continuous line.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ridgeback, Nospinzone and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    Here in the Philippines where its 32C or 90F everyday and sometimes even hotter during summer, i had doubts on getting a pano roof without sun blinds no matter how allegedly hi tech it is in reflecting heat. Im quite sure i would be sunbathing in the car every time i use it here.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I had my car out in Southern California last summer, some places we went were well over 100F (we saw as high as 120) and we left the car in hot parking lots sometimes for hours, we would come back and it would be hot inside the car, but in my estimation, no different than any other car. No one felt the extra heat of the powerful overhead sun as we were driving along in full AC comfort. To be sure, the AC ability to cool the car down is not quite there with the best Mercedes or other fine luxury car, but it is not so far off either. Anyway, our unscientific opinion is the roof does not make any noticable difference in terms of extra solar heating of the interior nor its passengers. I would highly recommend the panoramic roof if you will ever will have people in the back. It's not very meaningful from the front seat however. As I often have my kids with me, its very useful, they love it, and we all love the car.

14. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    why not just mirror tint it...in gunmetal film
    Problem solved

15. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    on one hand, i have very slight dents on my roof which i cannot do paintless dent repair because of my Xpel. if it would have been a pano roof then no dents but i did have a cracked pano roof on my other car and it was bloody $$$$ on my insurer

16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Likewise, you can also wrap it opaque if not used. However, some prefer the cozy feeling of a soft, finished non-pano ceiling. Personally, I don't feel comfortable driving with that expanse of glass over my head.

17. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    As a fellow UK Lusso owner, agreed 100%.
    The pan roof, seen from the back seats is particularly impressive.
    The black finish under the spoiler makes the roof line visually consistent.

mthompson2376 likes this.
  18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    The FF pano roof is dark and cannot be adjusted with the darkness. I have no problem of heat being in Southern CA and Vegas.

The Lusso pano roof is even nicer with a button to change the tint. It's electrochromic, just like the rear mirror changes its color.

Trust me, your friend/kids will appreciate the pano roof in the back.

19. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I own a 2015 FF with Pano Roof....and absolutely love the panoramic roof. The glass roof adds tremendously to how special the FF feels. Its beautiful!

20. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Perfect Spec, IMHO. I would have gone for Cuoio Toscana interior but.....it's beautiful!

21. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    The Lusso panoramic roof is electrochromic?!

22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    yes. worth 30k in my mind. If I were to get Lusso, I will get that pano roof

23. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not on mine. ;)

24. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Can you link where you've read that it's electrochromic?

So I've had trouble seeing language on this as well. I did find references to the Lusso panoramic roof behaving like photochromic Transitions lenses, however with glass, the photochromic process typically uses a fully reversible and non-degrading reaction with silver embedded into the glass or onto it's surface.

The only reference I've seen with "electrochromic" roof is that there appears to be fuse for it in the owners manual! Reference below. This fusebox is the one accessible from the trunk/boot.

25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I had a Lusso loaner when FF was in shop. The Lusso had it. Just press a button, and it changes color. is it extra option? that I don't know.