348 Heat Shield Refinishing Done | FerrariChat

348 Heat Shield Refinishing Done

Discussion in '348/355' started by dertizjos, Dec 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dertizjos

dertizjos Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    #1 dertizjos, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I finally got to one of my projects today. I wanted to re-finish my heat shields because they really looked ragged and the rest of the car is looking really good. I took some pics for those that may want to do the same and need some guidance.

The only tools needed are a 10mm socket, an extension and swivel head for your ratchet. I am sure it can be done without the swivel head but it helped.

1. Remove the nuts from the studs that hold both heat shields in place. I did the upper/rear shield first. When doing this one, you do not have to remove the two outer nuts but just loosen them. The bracket is slotted and slides right off.

2. Once all the nuts are removed, simple manipulate the shields until they come out. You do not need to take the airbox or anything else off the car to remove either shield.

3. Next, I prepped the shields by sanding them and wiping them down well with a tack cloth.

4. I then taped off the intake hose brackets and the mounting brackets. I wanted the look to be like factory. You could paint these as well if this is not a concern.

5. I then applied several thin coats of VHT "Flame Proof" Ceramic Exhaust Paint to both shields.

6. Once they were completely dry, I unmasked them and then painted the hose brackets a fresh coat of high heat black.

7. I then re-installed the shields along with new nuts, reversing the above process.

The end result turned out looking like a brand new set of heat shields. The VHT paint is rated up to 2000 degrees so they should hold up very well. The VHT paint also matched the factory color pretty much exactly.

The other bonus was that removing the shields gave me a chance to clean some areas in the engine bay that are not so easy to get to.

The total time from start to finish was about 3 hours, with 2 of those hours allowing for paint drying. The actual "work" of removing the shields, prepping, painting and re-installing was probably an hour.

Thanks for looking and I sure hope this post is helpful.

George
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB, swoshsteffo, bjwhite and 2 others like this.
  2. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Looks great!

Did the same thing back in the summer. Came out looking OEM. Don't get forget the last step of a longggggg spirited drive to make sure the paint cures properly.

ILLA NOIZ likes this.
  3. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    I am missing my rear piece. Any suggestions where to find?

4. Lifeboatboy

Lifeboatboy Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    London, UK
    Just wanted to extend my thanks, George (dertizjos), if you ever drop back in. In retrospect it was so easy to do, but without your step-through, I'd never have had the confidence.

pilotoCS likes this.
  5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Looks great man!

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Looks good, btw there is a third shield between the muffler and the bumper its the largest of the 3.

7. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Nice job, looks great. :)

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  9. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I need to do this to my ones, thanks for reminding me!!

Nice job they look great...

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Looks great! And I want to do the same but I'm hesitant about doing any fiberglass work, which is what mine needs.