430 - Where did I go wrong? 430 battery dead. | FerrariChat

430 Where did I go wrong? 430 battery dead.

Discussion in '360/430' started by dweintra, Apr 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    Hello all! I parked my 2007 F430 for about two weeks, so I used the factory battery disconnect in my photo below. It was a good battery when I parked it and I started it just fine and ran it a bit before using the battery disconnect. Today I turned the battery back on to drive the car and it is dead. The only power is the red blinking light on the dash for the alarm and a little bit of the overhead courtesy light. Won’t crank or click at all.

I live in a high rise and do not have access to an outlet for a tender.

Any idea why my battery would fully drain when the battery was disconnected? The car is stock except for a built in radar detector. The power was definitely disconnected when I parked it. I checked to make sure before covering it up.

PS: I have only had the car a short time so new to me. No battery issues before:). Thx

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    1. Was your battery less than 3 years old? If no, you're already on the downward slide.
    2. Ferrari electronics are known for it. There is a draw even when parked.
    3. Best is to remove the battery, take it up to your apartment and charge it then put it back into the car. Better yet, get a new battery.

psych0hans and whatheheck like this.
  4. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    Thx. I thought the disconnect was a complete disconnect. The car was totally disconnected including the window adjustments when closing the doors. Not sure where the draw would be coming from.

My last car was a Noble and when the disconnect was on it could sit for months!

I am replacing the battery.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If the disconnect is on the ground and complete.. I'd think a battery on the way out. Also do me a favor and when you get the new one installed, check the alternator output with a voltmeter. I put a new battery in my 360 every 3 years or so. It saves my alternator and the car has NEVER not started for me. Even after 6 weeks off a tender. Start with the battery then work backwards from that.

6. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I had an '07 F430 Spider and I could go as long as 4 weeks at a time without putting her on the tender. Now the 458's and the 488's need to be on the tender all the time, but the 430's should be good to go. Side note: I drove my F430 at a min of once per week,,,

dweintra likes this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Is the radar detector hard-wired to the battery, such that it avoids being cut off when you use the disconnect? If not, I agree with the others about needing a new battery. BTW, starting a car and only running it a few minutes depletes the battery. It can take 10-20 minutes of driving to restore the drain from a cold start.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

whatheheck, Skidkid and dweintra like this.
  8. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I went through the service records That came with the car and did not see mention of a battery. I also tried to find the age of the battery but the manufacturer was closed and there was no way to decipher online. No worries, I replaced it but was curious how long it was in the car. It tested bad so it must have been on the last legs although there were no symptoms.

All is well, and I had no issues with the install/reboot.

I hope it works out without the tender. I need to drive it more. Tough during Covid times to use it much.

Thx all.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    Fortunately the radar does not power up with the disconnect out in the trunk. I double checked today. Thx

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    For a start the switch in the front which you used to disconnect the battery is on the negative side, not the positive and does not disconnect everything.
    The negative battery clamp has some aux cables that are not in the line to the switch.

dweintra likes this.
  11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Better to have the battery on a tender than to switch it off I would say. I've never switched mine off. My battery is over 4 years old and perfect. If the car sits for over 2 weeks it goes on the tender for a couple of days. Never gone flat or not started.

12. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1
    I think the Alarm circuit is still powered which is probably what eventually killed the battery

He cannot as he indicated that he lives in a high rise apt with no outlet

5 years ago I kept my car at my daughter's condo (I wanted to keep it in a heated environment) and ran into the same problem. So I bought the largest battery (960 CCA/110 AH) I could find and ensured that it was fully charged. I would then connect it with charging cables to the large (+)ive and (-)ive behind the driver's seat (I have a 360). I DID NOT TURN OFF THE MAIN SWITCH which kept all my electronic settings the same as when I parked the car. Then once/week I would remove that additional battery, take it upstairs, re-charge it ( with a 10A Charger) and re-connect it afterwards. I did that for 3 years and it worked every time. My main battery never went below 12.5V. I the spring it would start right up with no drive cycle required. All the emission monitors would be at ready status.

P.S.: To transport that heavy a$$ battery I bought one of those Granny shopping carts. Worked like a charm

randkin, VAF84 and Need4Spd like this.
  13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    So today, you would buy a lightweight lithium ion battery (Antigravity, Braille) and NOT install it in the car, but use it like you did, back and forth, so as to save lugging the weight! I like that!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

hessank likes this.
  14. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    Thx all. I will say getting the battery in and out is not fun!! I don’t plan to bring it up and down the elevator to keep it on a tender. I will just do a better job at driving the car more often:)

Apollo 11 likes this.
  15. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Ever consider moving?

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you drive it weekly or every other week you'll be fine. It's the greater than 2 week periods that will really have a toll on it. Did you manage to test the voltage of the alternator while the car is running by any chance? I'd expect 13.5 to 14 volts...

17. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Battery has a 4 year warranty. Mine crapped out after 2 years. FOA swapped it out no questions asked.

18. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    But, but don't you have winter (snow) in Seattle?
    The process that I described was for me during the approx 6 months the car was in hibernation.
    If you're not in snow country then yeah drive the car more often as suggested.