360 - Whats wrong with my motor? | FerrariChat

360 Whats wrong with my motor?

Discussion in '360/430' started by I'm 360 Canuck, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Im getting a sucking sound from my motor when the accelerator is depressed... like a "thuft-vroom" sound, the first part being the suck sound before the rpms rev. No CEL.
    Heres a video, although sound isnt great:

fwiw, last year I did new MAFs, new coils, plugs have been done as well as battery...so, common stuff.

any ideas would be appreciated.

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    How is the power when you drive it?

Is it down on power?

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    probably. i've never been entirely thrilled with the power from it and bc Ive only owned it recent years, im not sure what the baseline is.
    its never seemed to rev in a very responsive way, if you know what I mean, at least compared to others ive heard on the net. that's my bigger concern, honestly than overall power.

Oh, also it has a Tubi so wont sound stock.

4. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Try this, step on clutch and rev it. does it rev clean?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Sounds like intake noise.

timwu12, I'm 360 Canuck and APA#1 like this.
  6. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
  7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Update: took my car in as needed some other stuff taken care of.
    Sound was determined to be normal, however the lack lustre performance is believed to be due to bad gas and a bad o2 sensor (no CEL, but a scan on the computer pointed to it).

so, having done the plugs, mafs, coils and o2 sensors (changed them all out now), if I’m still underwhelmed by the performance, it probably is what it is and I’ll have to decide if I can live with it.
    Rather than add good gas to bad, I will just run it down to near empty and then top up with fresh, and go for a hard ride. Might just do half tanks of gas this year as I’m not likely to put as many miles on it without anywhere to go.

psych0hans likes this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    You could put her on a dyno if you doubted the power.

I bought a z06 years ago and I dyno tested to check the health.

KC360 FL and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    After you run the fuel down, add a few gallons and a good slug of injector cleaner, then give it a good run. No point adding to old fuel.

psych0hans and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #10 KC360 FL, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Hard to imagine being disappointed with the power of the 360 engine. No giant killer to be sure, but having a lifetime of driving sports cars my '03 360 (26K miles) can be a handful and is more than enough power on public roads.

How many miles are on your car? Maybe a dyno run as suggested by One4torque is a way to see exactly what the power is and if it's where it should be. Additionally, it's a great way to find your best shift points when the engine makes the most power; then drops off. I always have done this for my road going 911s. Finding my "proper" shift points changed the whole driving experience once I knew where the power was in each gear. My last 911 redlined at 7500RPM but we found that the engine quit making power at about 6200 RPM.

11. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    With all of those parts that have been changed have you looked at what kind of condition your cats are in? Maybe some of the honey comb has melted and is chocking your engine.

12. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    After you've done as much as you are able to maybe try Trev's 'tune'. It literally lit my car up, acceleration more crisp etc..
    Plus it removes the you know what from preventing the car from starting. Personally, I went the whole nine yards with Trev's mods last year.

13. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    If bad gas, you most likely have fouled plugs again as well. Have you done a compression/leakdown tests?

14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’ll have to check into that, thanks. Not familiar with it.

15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I have not. I didn’t think it was that serious,

16. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    interesting idea. No, I haven’t gone that deep into it. Sounds a little past my abilities/bravery. But I have considered going the headers route if I can figure out the heat shielding in a reasonable way (I can’t wrap my head around $2k for blankets). I’d check out the cats while I’m in there.

17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’ve got just a little less mileage than you..24k...Dyno run sounds interesting...might consider doing it in conjunction with an ecu tune. Something to think about when the lockdown ends.

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    My car was totally transformed at 23k miles w my tune up and ex mods.

I did it all at the same time do I don’t know if anything was bad or just cumulative benefits.

new fuel inj
    Coils
    Sp plugs
    New upper intake gasket
    Cleaned oil from top of intake
    Aftermkt headers no cats
    Cs ex
    Gruppem air box
    De res air feed tube
    No tune— yet

the headers had that white powder inside, suspect cats we’re starting to breaking down

19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Not to mention the opportunity to stand outside of your 360 while the tech takes it through the gears at speed is worth the price of admission right there :D

20. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    Also, has the timing been checked?

I'm 360 Canuck and Apollo 11 like this.
  21. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
    Why is no one pointing to the obvious...

If they said old gas is the issue then have them drain the fuel tank!

why would you continue to run old gas if that is the diagnosed issue and caused all those parts to be replaced, which could need it again after you drive the rest of the tank of bad fuel?

22. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
  23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #23 I'm 360 Canuck, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    The timelines in the OP aren’t that clear. All those parts weren’t done at the same time.
    I’ve changed those parts, other than the o2s, over the course of a season and a half, and ran many tanks of gas through it during that period. If the gas is bad, it’s only because of sitting this winter. So I don’t think all my issues are related to gas.
    I’ll know more when I’ve had a chance to burn through it with a couple drives, and refill with some Seafoam and a fresh half tank of gas.

24. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Good question. I’m not sure. I assume it would have been done when my Indy changed the belts. I suppose it could have moved since then? He test drove it last week before I picked it up and said it drives “good”. So I would think if it felt like timing was off he would have noticed it and commented.

25. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    I have to amend what I said in a previous post. I drove my car over the weekend and stuck my head of of the window while the car was sitting. It does in fact make this noise. It seems if I give it a small but increasing amount of gas then it does not make the sound. If I punch the gas pedal it does make the sound. With that said I am not disappointed with the power my car delivers.