motor mounts failing | FerrariChat

motor mounts failing

Discussion in '308/328' started by miahshodan, Apr 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    How do I tell if my motor mounts are failing. I suspect they may be due to the exhaust hitting the e-brake cables. Car is a 1975 308 GT4 Dino.

Should I look at how low the engine sits? I put a board across the bottom of the oil pan and the back of the engine is probably 1 inch lower than subframe. On the front it is probably 1 cm.

Or can you tell by how much the "rod" of the mount is extending below the mount?

thanks,
    Jeremiah
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 348KYD

348KYD Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Hi, you need to get a long lever bar in there and see how much movement there is in each mount - mine were a bit soft and moved about 4 - 5 mm so I replaced them all - not very hard to do but they're not cheap!!

miahshodan likes this.
  3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FWIW, the classic check for bad mounts on a typical US car is to open the hood so you can see the engine, have a helper get in the car, start it, apply the brakes FIRMLY, put the transmission in reverse, and slowly apply power while easing out the clutch. It requires some heel/towing on a manual - foot on brake while applying some throttle. Do the same in 1st. If the mounts are bad, one side of the engine will clearly lift beyond the normal "flexing." Apply FIRM braking so car does not actually move.

john a barnes and miahshodan like this.
  4. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    As I read the responses thus far, they imply that the height of the engine (that is, the vertical distance taken up by the mounts) is not a tell-tale for bad mounts. So, does that mean the mounts can appear totally normal but be worn out inside? That would make sense if there is a damper inside the mounts in addition to a spring, and just the damper is shot. But wouldn't worn or broken springs inside the mounts be another tell-tale, evidenced by a collapsed mount (and easily measurable)? I imagine there are reference measures for proper engine height front and rear above the cross members. Is this available?

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    " So, does that mean the mounts can appear totally normal but be worn out inside?" Absolutely - there could even be "nothing" inside!

Also - and I have never looked at the main Ferrari motor mounts so I don't know how they are made - but many engine mounts consist of 'rubber' sandwiched between two metal plates. When the mount fails, it is because one of the plates separated from the rubber so the mount looks perfectly OK when the car is parked/idling but when any load is applied to the engine, it rotates up/off the bad mount with either reverse or forward load.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They come with various shim stacks from the Factory, someone losing them over time would result in a droop.

It is in fact a sign (as I mentioned somewhere else recently) that if your headers at RH side are hitting or near to hitting the frame, they may have sacked out.
    There's normally a half inch or so clearance at that point.

Our 308 mounts are little complicated rubber/spring isolators.

There's a thread where a guy drill some Summit Racing Mustang mounts, but that makes the mounting solid!
    Rifledriver said: "you won't like the vibration" so I guess that's why ours are the way it is!

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Hand built cars. Do you have any other reason to think mounts are bad? I've seen ebrake cable hit header and I recall shimming to correct. This was 25ish ++ years ago and haven't given it another thought. Well- 'til now:)

BTW: There are lots of common areas of maintenance on these gorgeous machines, and I don't recall 308 mounts being an issue? I've changed a Boxer mount 'cuz plating was getting sad looking and rubber had a cut in it, but the 308 mounts seem to be quite robust.

miahshodan likes this.
  8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you can feel the engine vibration in the car, more likely the engine mount is or are bad.

miahshodan likes this.
  9. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    The parts manual shows a spacer on the front mounts 107424. The front mounts should also have a red dot and they have a different part number 106034 from the rears 106035. I don’t know what makes them different and replacements that I have seen for sale seem to be just one part number. Here is a picture of the two including the spacer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    miahshodan likes this.
  11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The top bell on the fronts looks visibly shorter, to my eye???

12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  13. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    With a long pry bar I am able to lift the motor about 3mm in back and maybe half that in front. I am not sure how much effort to put on them, but I had a ~3 foot bar and put decent pressure on it.

john a barnes likes this.
  14. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    Unfortunately the current state of my clutch (totally burned up) precludes this particular test :(

15. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    I don't have another 308 for a back to back comparison, but the vibrations in the cabin don't seem abnormal to me.

16. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    No other reason. Though looking closer I realize that there is probably more interference here than could be explained by engine mounts. It may be more that the exhaust system is not original. The heatshield around the rear headers is loose, but if you look at the first picture you can see that the brake cable is hitting the flanges for the exhaust as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    I assume those are supposed to go under the mount and above the subframe to even out the front and back? I don't have any, but it sounds like I may need some.

My front mounts do have the spacers and two washers (don't appear to be shims as they don't have breaks on any side that I can tell)

18. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Do you have some pictures of the exhaust system from the rear? Interested to see if you still have the factory hangers and what the muffler looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Just replace them all PERIOD , you will be absolutely happy , FERR parts in California has them at a fair price, I did mine, and I could feel the difference right off the bat, your car will shift like a hot knife through butter , and the handling will improve as well.

Thank you

Crowndog likes this.
  20. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    pretty sure these aren't stock mounting points and I sure hope those aren't stock welds :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    Thanks for the been there done that experience. The fair price probably fair, but still $1,000....may have to do it though.

22. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Wow, I could have welded that, and I can't weld...
    /Peter

23. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
  24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL