F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :) | Page 14 | FerrariChat

F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

"Absolutely critical" for Williams F1 to go racing in 2020

Claire Williams says it is "absolutely critical" for Williams' future that Formula 1 is able to resume racing this year.

The opening nine races of 2020 already called off due to the ongoing pandemic, and there is uncertainty over when the season will be able to start and what form it will take.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/149088/absolutely-critical-for-williams-to-race-in-2020

Concerns have been raised over whether all 10 teams will survive the crisis, with severe cost-cutting measures already being implemented ahead of an anticipated loss of income.

In an interview with Sky Sports News, Williams F1 deputy chief Claire Williams explained the importance of getting racing back underway when possible to help smaller teams survive the crisis.

"We have to wait obviously until the time is right to it's safe to do so," said Williams

"It's an incredibly tough environment that F1 finds itself in right now.

"We have spent so much time locked into meetings, the team principals together with the FIA and F1, over the past four weeks to ensure we do absolutely everything we need to do to make sure all of us come out of this at the end of this year unscathed.

"Clearly big part of that is about when we are able to go racing again, particularly for a team like ours.

"We're one of the true independents left, we don't have the backing that the majority of our competitors have up and down the grid.

"For us, going racing is absolutely critical this year. But as I said, it has to be when it's safe to do so.

"We just hope that we can get back to the race track this year, go racing, and really for us, we can take it from there."

A number of F1 figures have called for widespread reform of the financial model for teams, pushing for a budget cap as low as $100 million from 2021.

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    As long as they accept rich kids pay to race they will be just fine .Sorry i'm a bit fed up with her whining.If you not good enuf too bad ,adios.

Remy Zero and william like this.
  3. DF1

Almost effectively owned by others now with the new deal no?

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

F1 is like any other business; there are winners and losers.
    Williams had its time, and its opportunities; nobody owes them a living or a permanent spot on the grid.
    I don't think they were sorry for the teams that disappeared when they were themselves at the crest of a wave.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Seems Williams have more or less sold what they can to raise cash but now are struggling to service agreements, will end up I think like TWR/Arrows where consultancy business was raided to pay the F1 bills.

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It'll be Team Latifi Sofina if they miss a few of their payments.

william and DF1 like this.
  7. DF1

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    A $145 millions budget limit wouldn't be so bad, would it?
    I am really against any budget limit, and I think the idea is preposterous, but this could be a compromise.

Did I imagine it, or Binotto let slip the idea of Ferrari adding another series to its racing operations?
    Could we see a Ferrari return at Le Mans perhaps?

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yet, Latifi seems to have all the collaterals in his hands.
    Frank Williams plays against the bank now !

10. DF1

McLaren say Ferrari are "living in denial" over their opposition to plans to lower Formula 1's budget cap.

McLaren Racing chief executive Zak Brown rejected claims by Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto that F1 should not "react in a hurry" to the coronavirus crisis.

"I'm almost at a loss as to what to say to that," Brown said.

"We are going through the biggest crisis the world has seen. You have countries and industries shut down."

He added: "To not hurry to address what is going on is a critical mistake."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52401894

william likes this.
  11. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I'm on the fence about budget caps,... but if they're running the 2020 cars in 2021,... I'm not sure of the urgency to solve this right now.

F1 has always had minnows,... to force Ferrari and Mercedes to compete on the minnows terms seems to be against the ethos of F1.

Sadly, I think we are witnessing the death of F1 regardless of which decision is made...

Isobel, 375+, william and 1 other person like this.
  12. #337 lorenzobandini, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    The "leveling the playing field"/"equalizing"/"fairness"/"dumbing down" has been happening in all series for years, and sorrowfully so. Chipping away at the soul of auto racing. I've been watching and preaching since the early nineties; mostly on deaf ears. It's sad but it's all been sliding down the slippery slope for quite a while and there is no reversing it.
    The fan base has changed and evolves further and further away from the roots of auto racing: showing off the best that you had to offer. It's drifted more and more toward strictly entertaining showtime and not true competition. It's proving to be so as I see the pleasure from, and praise for, the sim racing that's entertaining so many. Lord have mercy...what's happening here....?

I'm trying to be careful not to offend anyone but it's akin to the political correctness gig. People's values are changing. I would never have thunk that someone mis-perceiving (because they're not perceptive enough, insecure, have low self esteem, or just greedy and using the system's victim card) what someone means when they say something carries more weight then the true intent.
    Those that want "better racing" (in reality a closer show, not better design, and all around execution) just don't care about a competition to see who and what are the best.....just give 'em a good show. Of course sponsors, manufacturers, et al want that maximum eyeball time so damn the true fans, not enuff of 'em and we want to run up front too for all that exposure..........

I had such passion for the sport and I'm watching it dissolve. It hurts and I'm too tired and cabin fevered out to continue......... ( I hear ya's........your welcome...... :))

500drvr likes this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I agree with you there.

A budget cap will piss off the constructors in the end, and drive them out of the game .

With low budgets F1 risks to become another specs series using old technology; enter Indycar !!!.

PS: I have nothing against Indycar, it's a great seriess, but F1 should be different.

500drvr likes this.
  14. I've got a race track only 60 miles south of me (Homestead-Miami Speedway), one only 50 miles north (Palm Beach Int'l Raceway) and another, Sebring, 140 north. I imagine I could catch 10-12 giant field, dang close, races a year.....SCCA Spec Miatas. :eek: Better racing than kit-car IndyCars, and all of 'em combined don't have to have anywhere near the budget of a sinlge IndyCar team.......:p Oh, and the ticket prices....forgettaboutit...... :)

Seriously, yes, leave F1 alone. It's the only real auto racing (besides amateurs) left.....sort of....... :cool:

15. DF1

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Bread and Circuses, to make the people believe their lives matter.

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Red Bull is now planning to have two GPs at Spielberg one week apart (July 5 and 12).

I can't wait.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's Marko talks; he likes the sound of his own voice.
    Some say the season wont restart if no more races are scheduled after Austria.
    The teams based in UK need some certitude before restarting.
    They cannot recall their staff just for a couple of races.
    Government support will cease as soon as they resume acivity.
    Liberty has to come up with a definite calendar where teams can travel to.

Simon^2 likes this.
  19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Austria is a start,... and a hopeful sign. But they still need government approval.

As William said,... Austria won't happen if they (F1) can not arrange the rest of the season.

Still time,... but June 1 may be the deadline to get the schedule arranged.

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Just because Marko think Austria can host two races, doesn't mean the rest of the European countries can and will. France, Spain is still clocking around 200 deaths per day.

william likes this.
  21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #347 greyboxer, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  22. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Silverstone writes to British Grand Prix ticket holders to say it is "unable to stage this year’s British Grand Prix in front of the fans at Silverstone". Announcement inevitable - it's been known for a while first races at start of new truncated season would be closed events

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [Autosport]

Formula 1 has confirmed the French Grand Prix at Paul Ricard has been postponed, pushing the earliest possible start of the new season into July

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [Formula 1]

Chase Carey statement (1/5): "We’re targeting a start to racing in Europe through July, August and beginning of September, with the first race taking place in Austria on 3-5 July weekend."

"September, October and November, would see us race in Eurasia, Asia and the Americas, finishing the season in the Gulf in December with Bahrain before the traditional finale in Abu Dhabi, having completed between 15-18 races."

"We expect the early races to be without fans but hope fans will be part of our events as we move further into the schedule."

"The health and safety of all involved will continue to be priority one and we will only go forward if we are confident we have reliable procedures to address both risks and possible issues."