What's involved with oil pan gasket replacement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's involved with oil pan gasket replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by Bruce McKinney, Jul 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Hmm I had this problem on another GT4 I worked on. I believe I removed the large fitting on top of the block near the starter . I grabbed the flange of that tube from the top and pried it up as far as it would go giving enough space to muscle the pan out. Then I dealt with straightening the tube to remove it. and replaced the tube

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am not sure if your sump pan arrangement is the same as the mondial i used to own but i changed the sump gasket with the pan in situ, just that little gap. I took the studs out and worked the gasket in through the small gap. Was oil tight for 10 years or more. Does not cure your bent tube but might get u going

3. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your feedback. Got in there today and managed to straighten the tube and as I did the pan slowly dropped down and then out! WooHoo :)
    I made a drift using some timber with a u shaped cutout to hold onto the tube. Tapping with a hammer didn't work as the tube was too springy and just bounced back. So I used a large G clamp against the chassis and slowly straighten it.I had to snap the tube in two to get it out, and eventually tapped out the smaller piece from the dipstick tube fitting.
    The tube is stuffed, so will need to make a new one. It looks pretty straight forward tube, 13mm diameter x 145mm long with a flare on one end to match the dipstick tube.
    I found some interesting things with the sump once pulled, but I'll clean it first before posting some pictures. Looks like it might have been messed with before?
    Cheers, BB
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone likes this.
  4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yay! Congrats!

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Why would you guys go through all this hassle? Just remove the fitting from the block. The tube will come with it.

absostone likes this.
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    What I said.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Probably won't come out when it's bent like that.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    it will if you tweak the radius on the lower end of the tube.then pound it upward, I used a thick screw driver and pushed it inside the tube till the handle reached the tube bottom and tapped it through.. The shaft of the screwdriver kept the tube from rebending and the handle edge gave the support. That worked out for me anyways

9. BrockBenson

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    That's what I did :) but unscrewing the fitting would not have helped, as the tube was so out of shape it wouldn't clear the block even with the fitting. So after I broke off the lower piece, I used a pin punch to slowing collapse the tube on itself and it then popped out the top.

10. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The first time I removed my oil pan on my 328 I was unable to loosen the upper nut that holds the dipstick tube. I ended up using a pipe cutter (creates no filings) and cut the tube so it would clear the block while turning the lower nut. I then put the bottom larger nut in a vise and used a long cheater bar on the tube nut. I nearly turned my workbench over trying to get the thing loose. But it finally came apart. Prior to cutting the tube I marked it with whiteout so I could butt weld it back together properly oriented. I had no such trouble with the tube nut earlier this year when I replaced shift seals.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Why not just replace the tube itself?

12. DinoRossa

DinoRossa Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Chris Mulvena
    Can someone confirm the size of the big nut? - is it 27mm?

13. BrockBenson

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Yep, 27mm open end spanner cut down to clear the exhaust/chassis

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    A adjustable wrench works. ive done it its easy on a Gt4