Adjusting the Rear Brakes on a 308 | FerrariChat

Adjusting the Rear Brakes on a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Apr 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I recently completed a renovation of my brake calipers on my 1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole.

The rear calipers on a 308 need to be manually adjusted for best performance.

The 308 has the same Ate rear brake calipers as a Porsche 914-6. Eric Shea of PMB Calipers Inc has posted a detailed description on how to do this adjustment: 914 Rear Caliper Adjustment Procedure

He has also posted on FChat the procedure for rebuilding 308 brakes: 308 Rear Caliper Rebuild Thread

It is interesting that Eric says that the mechanical handbrake system on a 914-6 works quite well. It does not on a 308. This makes me think that the difference is the different cabling systems on the two cars. For the Porsche, the cable splits almost immediately after the handbrake lever and pulls directly on each of the levers. On the 308, a single cable routes through a long metal tube before cable tension is split by a cable-tension pulley system at the rear of the car. If what Eric says is true, it then seems to me that the problem is friction in the tube not so much the mechanical brake lever system. I wonder how we can fix that. My first thought is a Teflon liner in the metal tube.

By way of background, my driver-side rear caliper had begun leaking brake fluid from the parking brake area. I sent all four of my calipers to PMB Calipers Inc in Sandy, Utah. I am very pleased with the results. I also bought Porterfield pads through PMB.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #2 thorn, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    In my opinion, the problem lies with the inherent variable tension in the cable/reel system; there are too many places for the cable to *not* be tight. Motion of the brake lever itself seems to be enough to overcome any potential friction issues in the tube.

Dockboy likes this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Or, when forgotten in gear the pads are worn to the point of gone...I rarely use mine as they can also "frezze on" and then you have the same situation, dragging overheating....

Probably greasing everything top to bottom and your plastic tube liner has merit in my mind.
    The enemy is rust.....

4. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Another item to check, make sure and adjust the brake pads for .002 clearance on the caliper. This requires occasional readjustment. Check that the brake lever doesn’t go all the way to the top notch to fully engage My E brake does hold the car on an incline, but I would want to rely on using to stop the car at any speed.

5. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    A 308 probably is a bit heavier than the Porsche.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Another flaw of the handbrake design on the 308 is the location of the lever. It simply sits too high on the center console for applying appropriate force even for the taller drivers. Except body builders and wrestlers.
    On the Porsche 914 it's located between door sill and seat deep down on the floor.
    I also think, that Ferrari addressed this issue when they relocated the handbrake lever on the 328 where it's located like on the P 914.

Best from Germany
    Martin

JuLiTrO likes this.
  7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So does the parking brake work on 328's?

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    That's a completely different design. Not only the relocated handbrake lever, but more efficiently, integrated drums for the handbrake inside the brake discs, as opposed to the handbrake acting on the disc pads on the 308.

Best from Germany
    Martin

waymar likes this.
  9. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login The E brake on my 82 308 was engaging a bit high, indicator of adjustment needed. So I adjusted the rear brakes today… You can get to the outside adjustment without removing the wheel. The E break engagement is a bit lower now.

ferrariowner likes this.
  10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Pad. No "s". The hand brake moves the inner pad against the rotor, it doesn't squeeze the rotor.

Well, "pads" in that there is one pad on each side of the car.

I've mulled over lengthening the arm on the pulley thing where the cable attaches. It would give the handbrake handle move travel, but more leverage.

ferrariowner likes this.
  11. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Brian,
    I have considered that option as well. I think it would increase the torque on the pad and increase the effectiveness of the rear brake.

12. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW when ever the e-brake handle get to ‘high’ and doesn’t hold well.... I adjust the brake pad clearance and the e-brake is okay. Even on a hill..... until more brake wear. Just saying....

ferrariowner likes this.
  13. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I used to have a GT4. I adjusted the parking brake per the accepted instructions and it held very well. I thought you all on Fchat were incompetent for having your parking brakes not work. I sold that car and bought a QV. The braking system components are exactly the same on the two cars. I can't get the parking brake to hold the car worth a crap on the QV.