I found a screw in my tyre | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I found a screw in my tyre

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Themaven, Apr 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you, that was helpful.

Boomhauer and Nospinzone like this.
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I agree 100% with Nuno on P Zeros. I still don't understand why they are OEM on Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Astons, Porsches, Bentleys, Mercedes AMGs and others. All my Ferraris came with P Zeros and I couldn't wait to get rid of them, ditto my C63. Brittle tyres.

Nospinzone and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I knew a guy, He was a top football player... who had a quarter, yes a quarter embedded in his side wall...
    Being the sport he was...he kept the quarter, and disposed of the good tire..
    When I asked him why....He said " I just had to get the quarterback!

Themaven likes this.
  4. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have to agree, I hate the P Zero's, they are what is on my car now. I find them hard and slippery, especially when cold. My mechanic basically told me don't bring the car back until you replace those tires, he recommended the Michelins. Pirelli is just one of the few that make tires sizes that fit both the front and rear of the 550 in the 18" rims, so I put them on the list. There are many more options if you have the 19" rims. Unfortunately I don't put many miles on the car, so I don't care if the Michelins don't wear well, as long as they stick better and are more predictable.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #30 AlfistaPortoghese, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    I’ve often wondered the same, Darius.

For instance, I bought a 5 series BMW last December and it came with Bridgestone Turanzas. A competent tyre in my view, a nice grip window, a versatile all round tyre if one doesn’t ask too much of it. But in truth, quite average. Some would even say dull. That is my initial impression at least, as I haven’t driven more than 4.500km in it.

I’m sure BMW could equip their cars with sportier tyres, better suited to the weight, dimensions and pneumatic suspension of the 5 series. I’m guessing they have the average client in mind, more interested in versatility and comfort. A tyre more appealing to the majority of owners, trying to meet the needs of the biggest number of people possible, designed to work in the widest range of circumstances.

And perhaps commercial deals in place between car manufacturers and tyre manufacturers come first and foremost.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Nuno, I think your analysis is spot on with the 5 series. The car has a wide variety of users, and comfort and price come into the equation. But with a high performance car, what I find curious is the lottery. Buy a new Ferrari, or a Panamera Turbo, Huracan, Aston DB11 or 63AMG S, and you might get excellent MPS4Ss, or you might get eminently worse P Zeros. That seems odd, and unfair.

But some people here say P Zeros are OK on a hot day on racetracks - which would probably explain it. If that's true.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Indeed odd and apparently random. Will ask my local official dealer once quarantine ends, to see if they can cast additional light on the matter.

I’ve never tracked any of my cars, but I’d be lying if I said that in a typical summer afternoon here (air temperature around 35°C - guessing asphalt temperature above 50°C), I didn’t feel a slight increase in grip, but still not enough to feel confident enough to push hard.

It may have something to do with my personal preference and therefore far from impartial, but I’m yet to find a tyre that makes me feel more confident than the Michelin Pilot Super Sport or the Dunlop Sport Maxx TT, although these wear off even quicker than the Michelins. It could have something to do with me being frequently late for appointments :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

You are welcome.....it's called a flat tire.

Themaven likes this.
  9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very kind