355 - Jacking | FerrariChat

355 Jacking

Discussion in '348/355' started by watkinsgt, Apr 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    In anticipation of removing / refurbishing the rear inner fender arches and underbody trays, I'm wondering about jacking procedures. I would like to end up with the car elevated level with both rear wheels simultaneously off. Near as I can tell, Ferrari protocol is to jack up the car side to side via the under door jacking points. The Ratarossa video seems to suggest jacking up the rear with a floor jack under the pumpkin then lowering the car onto jack stands at the under door jacking points. Is there any reason not to lift the car from the rear? Would jack stands supporting the axels rather than the jacking points be ok? Is there a way to properly jack up the car from the front? Thoughts? Maybe I'm over thinking this but I sure don't want to torque, stress or tweak her. Thanks gents.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You are over thinking this. Even supermodels like to be spanked.

3. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I would not use the pumpkin as a jacking point! I usually put a floor jack just forward of the official rear jack point ( I don't use the actual jack point ' cause that's where the jack stand will end up ) and a bottle jack on the rear subframe near the rear suspension and jack an inch or two on one one jack, then the other, then pop the jack stand in the jack point notch. I usually stick another jack stand under the rear subframe too. Then do the other side.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

4. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jack from the back cradle corner, follow the cradle bars to front of engine, put Jack stands under frame just beyond where cradle is bolted. Don't go too far or it's under gas tank. You can jack from under door instead of cradle if you don't want to bend it, you'll just marr under the door instead.

There's a lot of while you are in there stuff like adjust park brake, replace fuel filters, install fabspeed headers, radiator flush, new alternator, oil change, replace the fuel evap thingys, degrease entire bottom of engine, replace battery ground cable, adjust shift cable, check for leaks, inspect, install new custom radiators, inspect, inspect then install twin turbo kit should be enough work for half a quarantine day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 Ferrarium, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Perhaps this will help clear it up in terms if back points, thanks to Dave Rocks.

What I do to get all 4 wheels up is one side at a time but I raise the front wheels up a tad to give jack clearance
    1. jack up the left side from the front jack point and put the front wheel on 2x8 wood plank.
    2. jack up the right side from the front jack point and put the front wheel on 2x8 wood plank.
    3. Jack up the rear left jack point way up and stick a jack stand under the cradle about where the leading A arm bushing is
    4. Stick a jack stand under the left front jack point
    5. Jack up the rear right jack point way up and stick a jack stand under the cradle about where the leading A arm bushing is
    6. Stick a jack stand under the right front jack point
    I often I stick all 4 wheels on wheel ramps, then I do it again to go all the way up with 18" jack stands so the car is not tipped over so much as the jack stands tend to want to slip under hard angles.

Attached Files:

fboutlaw and INRange like this.
  6. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Here you go:

[​IMG]

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just searched and found this you can sort of see it in action here clearly I am not the first to come to this conclusion. Try it one time without the wood under the front wheels and it becomes clear why it is needed. I use jack points for the rear where the engine cradle bolts to the chassis you can see the picture I feel the rear engine cradle puts stress on the body I "suspect" it further cracks along the body to rear window joint that happens.

See the post -> https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-jacking-point.167970/

Rear jack point where cradle meets body.

Attached Files:

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If just the rear... try this (from Harbor Freight):

Attached Files:

steved033 likes this.
  9. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Wade likes this.
  10. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Been looking more and more at getting a set...side-side jacking gets old.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Quickjack is what I use when servicing my 355, but it's far from easy to use, especially if you follow all the safety instructions.

I've probably mentioned this a few times before, but if you don't use the correct combination of included (additional height/protective) rubber blocks with the Quickjack and position them carefully, you will quite likely damage the 355's plastic/composite undertrays. To get the Quickjack and these rubber blocks under the door sills, you need to somehow jack up the car anyway. Because the Quickjack goes under the normal jacking points, that makes things a lot harder.
    I had to make four 2~3" wooden ramps to get the car high enough for the Quickjack to slide under the car. The wooden ramps were made by nailing two different length planks together.

The scary part is driving onto these stepped wooden ramps without burning out the clutch or running off the back of them. The wooden stops that I nailed onto the end of them didn't hold. Fortunately, I stopped the car before they broke completely. The screws I tried on my second attempt held a little better.

Quickjacks, unlike jackstands, also stop you accessing the underside of the car from the sides. You have to go from the rear. They also aren't really high enough to get you and a creeper under the car comfortably. You are still perilously close to hot engine/gearbox casings. I found I had to crawl/wiggle under the car on my back on a bedsheet or something slightly thicker. That gets tiring if you have to do it 20 times.

Can't wait to get a hoist, although even that will require small ramps or jacks for the arms to go under the doorsills.

If you have a spider with an old roof, it's probably a good idea to crack open the roof prior to lifting the car. Body flex may stretch the canvas beyond its limits. Body flex may also stop you opening engine lids, etc, on some cars.

12. tatry68

tatry68 Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I use the maxx jaxx 2 post portable hoist by Danmar. I drive the car onto 2x12 boards and the arms fit right under the car. Make life a lot easier. Anyone else have this hoist?

13. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I've been thinking about this as well. But my garage is somewhat small, or perhaps crammed with so many tools, tool boxes and other crap - in addition to my 355 and Alfa - that I'm not sure where'd I'd even put the posts when not in use.

But overall, how do you like it?

14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I have the same thing except 2x4's.

DO NOT jack on the crossing (lateral) members, they're super thin.

I always wondered if you could jack on the pumpkin, but I didn't like the way it looked...and it puts the weight of the car through the rubber mount in a direction it's really not meant to go.

sjd

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Correct. You can see where the jack pads on the crossbar interface with the hard-points on the subframe.

The 2" x 6" pieces of wood are for extra height to allow clearance for the jack (get under the car).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrarium and steved033 like this.
  16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wade I am getting one today, that makes raising the car up roughly 50% easier, never even knew that existed for floor jacks, getting ready to do fully redo fuel pumps and rebuild shiftier box and lube the cables so much obliged!

You back to OEM Spider muffler now?

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, with the crossbar it only takes seconds to jack the car. I'll be interested in following your fuel pump rebuild.

Not yet on the Spider exhaust, the above photos are of my previous ts. But I do have a Spider exhaust sitting by for the tb.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. tatry68

tatry68 Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I really like it. My car needed a major when I bought it, so thats when I decided to buy the hoist. It goes up high enough that I can sit on a stool and roll around under the car. I'm too old to be messin around with jacks and stands and rolling around on the ground like I used to in my younger years.

Mike Morrissey likes this.