Targa cover press studs | FerrariChat

Targa cover press studs

Discussion in '308/328' started by stonker, Feb 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    Has anybody got a pic of where the press studs are situated on the floor of a 308 QV for the targa cover to connect to? Can't find any in my car but it came with the cover. There are two at the top but none at the bottom. Thanks.

2. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    I have some photos of the studs in my 328. I will find them and post them tonight after I get home.

3. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    Great thanks very much

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 miketuason, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    Yep perfect thanks.

But be great to see other people's cars as well to see if they were always in the same place.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 miketuason, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    Brilliant thanks

8. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Quick question - are these the same part number as the ones that secure the fuse box cover? I'm missing one and would like to replace it.

9. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    My car (1979 USA) has attachment studs at the top on the window shelf but not below. Strange but I have had the interior Re-done so maybe they got lost in that process. Can they be installed without pulling up the carpeting?

10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #10 thorn, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    No, because they go through the carpet, and have nut fasteners on the back.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    If you need replacement fasteners, they are Tenax type, this is the place in the US to purchase - I bought from them to replace the top heads on my two glove box Tenax heads where the internal clips had broken.

https://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/tenaxfasteners1.html

12. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Bugger - mine are missing, too. I thought they were self-tappers and was not looking forward to probing around looking for the holes, but I've got no idea how to get behind the panel, that sounds worse!

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You might be able to access those nuts from under the vehicle itself. I'd have to look under to check though.

14. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Mine were fairly easy to access from under the car, they're not hidden behind any panels

Ferraridoc likes this.
  15. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    Thank you for the tip. That was quite a bit cheaper than ICP.

GordonC likes this.
  16. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    You need the German style Tenax, not English.

17. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    Anyone have a photo of where they come out on the underside? I took a peek under there tonight and didn't find any holes. A couple inches above the frame rail is a bolt coming through the firewall with a nut on the back - I think that is the seat belt tensioner bolt. Everything below that is covered in some sort of coating - rustproofing I assume?

18. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    Using the pictures from above, I figured out closely enough where they go. My car didn’t appear to have holes already so I drilled new ones through the carpet and the fiberglass shell. Will post pictures and measurements. The kit didn’t come with a washer for the back. With the pressure from the stretched top and the shelf surface being just fiberglass, it may benefit from a washer on the back to spread out the pressure.

19. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    My 308 had targa top storage studs on the rear window shelf but not at the base of the top storage area. The car didn’t come with a top cover so I never noticed until purchasing a replacement cover. The cover blew around in the wind from only being attached at the top. Thanks to this thread, I took a stab at adding those studs.

The replacement studs came from Eagleday referenced above https://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/tenaxfasteners1.html.

I got the “made in England” version to match the Tenex connectors that had come with the replacement cover. Those connectors worked properly with the studs on the rear window shelf. The studs shown in the picture are the 3/8ths version - which work - but later on in the project I switched to the 1” version. Also purchased the tool and it was very useful in installing in the connectors in the top cover.

Looking underneath the car, I didn’t see a hole corresponding to where the stud should have gone. Possibly it was covered over. Maybe it was never installed. No idea.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Based on the pictures earlier in the thread, I guessed where the studs should go. My guess was to place the center 5 inches from the metal of the door jam and 2 inches from where the firewall bends into the shelf (the overall shelf is around 3-1/2 inches deep).

You can put your hand at the carpet spot on top and then reach under the car with your other hand and feel where the drill bit is going to come out. The masking tape provided a way to create temporary guidelines and it can be drilled through easily.

Started the hole with a small drill bit and then expanded the hole with a larger bit.

The stud goes through easily. As mentioned, I used the 1” long studs and attached them on the back side with the supplied nut and a large washer I had. The shelf is only fiberglass and the larger washer should provide some strain relief. Based on my location, the studs align with the trim-rail of the targa top on each side when the top is centered while stowed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Saabguy likes this.
  20. Amalfitano

Amalfitano Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fausto Tersigni
    Thanks, i may eventually have to do that as my studs keep pulling out on my 86 eurospec 328. it's the only issue on the whole car, but i like as close to perfect as possible :)

21. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Just a question as long as we are on the subject. My cover is shrinking and what used to be an easy click to attach it to the floor is no longer easy. Is this a common problem or just the result of a decade in Louisiana heat?

22. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I believe it is common. Mine does it here out on the West Coast. Seems to be okay when its in the car and the heat allows it to stretch. I was keeping it in the garage unused with the top.

23. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Its seems to be somewhat common issue... my 85 QV also doesn't have the targa top storage studs on the floor too... The problem with this is when driving with the top off and windows down, the push on snaps flap around hitting the roof.. It drives me nuts!!!!!

24. Aimhii

Aimhii Karting

Feb 24, 2018
    Oakville, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luba
    Anyone with any updated links?...I clicked on above links hoping to find these fasteners, but they seem out of date and cannot find them?

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All chrome and Black plastic cap type both available and in stock at Maranello classic.