V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots | Page 5 | FerrariChat

V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Why can’t I send you a PM? Is it an error from my end?

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Interesting, thank you.

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Hmmm....I don't see this post which makes me wonder what else I don't see? Clearly I've been intruding here, I do apologize.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I deleted that comment because it was redundant, but not before Crowndog quoted it. You're fine.

You need to be at least Silver subscribed to use the PM function. You're not intruding on anything, this is a great thread! :)

308 milano likes this.
  7. can't surf

can't surf Rookie

May 18, 2018
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  8. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Very bold and nice looking, great job Mark!

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Front - 225/40-18 mounted on 8.5x18, ET15
    Rear - 285/35-18 mounted on 10x18 ET32

These tire are worn, old and hard as rocks, I have them on the old wheels, they are only good to rool it around the shop at this point. The plan is to stick with the 225/40 F abut switch the rear to a 295/30 with has an OD that matched the front so they look a bit more like a set....but I don't want to buy good tires while I'm still spilling oil and such and while I thin it will be ready to go come spring I've thought that before so I figured wait on good tires.

can't surf and G. Pepper like this.
  10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Today I bought a pint of ppg 36520 which is their mix for 1982-2005 ferrari 101 Argento Nurburgring. Its just a LITTLE bit darker than my wheels. The plan is to send a couple of these to the vendor so the next set (a 17" more OEM looking version) should be a closer match to factory but for my car I"m pretty happy with the color.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    here's a pretty final view of the 17x9 rear wheel design, a little more to do on the 17x8 front but hopefully these will be ready to send to the vendor to start production by the end of the week. Closer to an OEM look as was requested but they could also be done a bit lighter with a design closer to my 18s.

These will be
    17x8 ET 13mm
    17x9 ET 16mm

ET can be easily changed...the request was for them to sit out to fill the fender and these number put the outside very near what I have with my 8.5/10 combo and are about as far out as can be done. Can't wait to see them made and on a car!

Cirorsi and G. Pepper like this.
  12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  13. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    And they are sooo right!!

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Found a little time to get to the shop. 2 rods were damaged so I have to hunt up replacements but WAY back I have combined bits of a B set, C set and added a couple G weight rods when weight matched the group to be a proper set. New rods meant new weight matching. The 2 new rods were a B and a D and the B was pretty light rod body with a pretty heavy cap which was a problem for me as I also end weight matched my set and the new light Rod body meant the whole set needed to lose 2g.....yeah I know ferrari only matches there sets within 4g so it meat spec as is but my set is matched to 0.10g total weight and 1.00g end to end so WAY out of the I want it to run freakishly smooth spec.

These are finished and ready to take to the machine shop whenever they reopen...I need to have the crank ground and last assembly everything measure to spec but the bearing clearances were quite loose so I have to have the bearings coated, not that I need to regrind the crank I figure I have them just match it to the rods/bearing and leave it a bit oversize if need be to get the correct clearances.

So that is forward progress. followed by a steps backwards when I started cleaning up the pistons and realized the valve relief are not correct and the valves have been hitting. Going back to very old posts it looks like I never checked them, i just trusted that JE made the pistons correctly...shame on me so now I need to both recut the pistons and then check and possibly replace the valves.

I also realized I need to replace all the cylinders....1st lost it was 1, then well...6.....oh who am I kidding they all look like ****. Last time I use blanks and machined myself. This time I started down that path then scrapped 2 as I remember just how old and not good my lathe is and had Darton make them. There was 1 feature they could make to my spec so I'll cut that and might drop them at the machine shop for finish hone....haven't really decided yet but that is the direction I'm leaning.

Ferraripilot, Cirorsi and G. Pepper like this.
  15. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    You are completely insane (in a good way) :D

16. Doc Chaz

Doc Chaz Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    west of Fresno, CA
    If I recall correctly, R&T had a brief article in the late 1970s about a 308 having a 330 engine dropped into it. Maybe someone else here remembers that, or am I the only dinosaur in the forum?

17. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Doc I believe the R&T piece was from the late 80s and it was about a 308 having a 365 (specifically a 365 GTB/4/Daytona) engine dropped in.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  18. Doc Chaz

Doc Chaz Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    west of Fresno, CA
    I'm not familiar with that one. What a shame because a Daytona 'motore' belongs in a Daytona. Does anyone else recall the 330 or are you guys all under 50 years of age? I can still visualize the picture showing the single, not double, OH cam engine...smaller engine, better fit, and power better suited to the frame of a 308.

readplays likes this.
  19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I think you refer to the the David P. Goldsmith V-12 conversion, which was object of the R&T article. D. Goldsmith even made a thorough book write-up with many sketches.
    A few years ago, the car came to Germany and was restored.

Best from Germany
    Martin

Jakuzzi, readplays and G. Pepper like this.
  20. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Yes- exactly right. Thank you.

21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I have a copy of the goldsmith book and a copy of the R&T article somewhere.....that car popped up in Germany a couple years ago

It is a 365 but a 2 cam I'm pretty sure.....I remember reading the 4 cam had a clearance issue.

Another was done a few year later following the book

I THINK a total of 3 were build this way....maybe 4, all 2 cam 365s. Then there was a 400i version, goldsmith talked about the 400 not fitting but the i version will fit.

Then mine is #5 I think but I ..ummm...diverged from the others a tad.

Ferraripilot, readplays and G. Pepper like this.
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Never trust a piston manufacturer! I always do the playdoh check with a set of new head gaskets I sacrificed and reuse over and over after degreeing in the cams. Means pulling the heads a couple of times but better than mangling something. Radial clearance is usually the problem and yours too! I relieve them by hand, I dont have a mill ;)

readplays likes this.
  23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes, shame on me for not checking them, not sure what I was thinking...probably that its a pain in the butt to take apart and I just wanted to be finished :(

The good news, if I can cal lit that, is I now now EXACTLY where the issue is so its easy to fix while OI'm fixing everything else. A buddy lent me a piston vise so recutting the pockets will be quick.....I need a rainy day since I'm currently tasked with building a patio which requires a retaining wall, which needs to match the house so footer, block, stucco, should have the wall up this weekend but stucco will need to wait until stuff re-opens I guess...unless it rains in which case I'll have the pistons cut. I still need to get the crank ground too....but again, not worth risking bringing virus into the house so it sits and the patio work fills my time....then I may regrade the yard and install a nice french style garden, you know, like Versailles, depending how long the lock down lasts .....

24. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Oh, is that all ?

25. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Sand drum on a Dremel is quite quick. Good to leave extra clearance to reduce valve shrouding and allow for piston rock