is the bubble due to burst? | Page 143 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I've already reached that point to a good degree. I came in with a bias toward Ferraris. After owning two, selling one, I now have no allegiance to the brand anymore and my next big toy probably will not be an F car. There are only 2 or three Ferraris that I would consider buying if given a good opportunity. Great cars can come out of any manufacturer, and they don't always have to have luxe badges. Sometimes mainstream car companies have the guts to make something great and pull it off. Sometimes they try it out and fail. The nice thing is that those cars are typically pretty obscure and fun to own. The TR was the car that really started to open up my palette. The two cars that left a bland taste in my mouth were the Maranello and the R107 450sl. Both were big yawns. I did get my current formula down to a T though. Two toys and a nice cheap daily driver. And the R129 I definitely got right. A fabulous car that torches the R107 in every category. I still can't believe how cheap they are. My only regret is that I bought one in black and therefore can't use it as a daily driver. Great color though.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  3. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
  4. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#3554 Bradwilliams, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    LMAO. Another frame-worthy quote. Gotta love the hubris :)

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't think Hannah should have used the Daytona as the exemplar in that sentence. Daytonas, relatively high production and slowly falling prices over the last few years, are the sort of vintage car which may see further declines. Less common, more desirable examples such as the SWB would have been a better example.

roma1280 and Texas Forever like this.
  6. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    I was born in the 80s and know alot more people my age that have cars from the 1950-1970s than I do cars from the 2000s so I wouldn't assume much about interest levels from different generations. Everyone's experience is different.

distance likes this.
  7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Man share some details please! I'm genuinely interested. I only have one friend I can pull from my facebook about my age that has a car that is pre 1990. I think its a gt350 Mustang. None of my friends that are into cars have cars that old and 99.9 percent of them could care less about cars, classic or otherwise. And they range anywhere from the middle class all the way to upper (making 200 to 1 million a year).

8. Platini 289

Platini 289 Karting

Sep 21, 2015
    Interesting Comment's from (ex) EVO magazine's Harry Metcalfe. He discusses meeting your automotive heros, the state of the market and what to buy.

Bradwilliams and JCR like this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You say mother, I say mary.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

readplays likes this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Actually what seems to happen now is Daytona prices really crashing - that'll soon be 50% drop in just a few months (from about EUR 1M to 500K now...)
    The issue is that speculation has made the prices so disconnected from sensible values that nobody knows where they will go, nor what should be a reasonable level.
    I remember in 2013 after having sold my 599 I looked casually at older cars (since I had less opportunity for using a car then, so a "classic" could have made sense) and saw several 365 GT 2+2 ("Queen Mary", as mentioned) for EUR 75K.... they've been up for what, EUR 250K I guess, now they're probably struggling to sell for EUR 200K but it's difficult to tell when the market will decide they dropped enough - they'll probably not get back to 75K, but there is no objective reason to decide they should be valued 100K or 150K or whatever.

Bradwilliams likes this.
  11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You can say anything you want, but the Road & Track road test from the period which originated the phrase said mother.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It might be different in Europe, but in the US Daytonas have been in the $500k range (plus or minus for condition) for a few years now. It would have been a really special Daytona coupe (or some drunk bidders!) to get one to $1 million, even at the peak.

As for the 365GT, there is one on BringATrailer right now at $120k bid with 2 days left to go. I think it will make high $100s, which, again, is about market selling price for the last year or two.

Caeruleus11 and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, the one I drove felt like the Queen Mary!

14. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Euh...where do you see that happen NOW??? Please give us an example of a good Daytona that is crashing in price?

I believe there is a good connection to a sensible value. As long as 275GTB trades north of 1Mio...there are not many other options for a great front end v12 Ferrari. In my world only the Daytona comes close. And it still is a very rare car! Also a car that is very expensive to restore, so good high quality cars will always maintain a minimum value over 400-500k against current value of the Euro is my expectation. There are still plenty of Ferrari collectors out there who have enough money to add a Daytona to the collection. This group is still increasing. Werther we will see hyper inflation soon...a Daytona is a safe bad against those events...

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There are currently three Daytona advertised on mobile.de - EUR 550K, 720K and 850K (the 550K and 720K are Classiche certified, the 850K is for sale at a Ferrari dealer; my guess is that none is crap).
    I know that the one at 850K has been for sale for many months - while none are selling at the moment, I assume the more recent the ad, the lower the price.
    My feelings are not supposed to please myself or somebody else, they are just based on observation (I have no Daytona to sell, and on the other hand I do not expect the prices to drop enough for me to buy one).

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the one for 550k not there anymore. sold?
    the other 725 and 840k €

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    In contrast, right now FML has two Daytonas listed, both asking prices starting with 5. I know of another one for sale, a really nice one, with an asking price which also starts with a 5 and has been on the market for many months.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #3572 turbo-joe, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    just now I´m in thailand so I don´t know how the results would be when I will search from germany?
    but very suspect I must say

just sent a mail to mobile dot de. when I have an answer I will inform you here

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It seems one does not get the same results when searching for Ferrari Daytona or Ferrari 365 - I searched for Ferrari 365 (so I get many cars, including the 3 Daytonas I mentioned), but I get your results and not the others if I search for Ferrari Daytona (even though the title of the ad also contains 365).
    So all 5 cars are actually for sale ;)

turbo-joe likes this.
  20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I was looking only for daytona, not for 365

so then it is clear why we have different results

but you have written daytonas and not 365 when you posted first the prices

21. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Correct. Mobile.de allows search for 'Ferrari 365' , which gives about 30 results of which 3 are Daytonas, but you can also search for 'Ferrari Daytona', which produces 2 results (one which I put a link for in an earlier post...).